s.HK, stagger, s.HK, stagger = too good, IMO

Speaking of silly manuals in instinct, I’m reminded of this ultra combo DevilMayCare did on someone at the end of a set, it’s pretty gross looking and (obviously) possible in a real match.

Check 30:00 in the vid below:

Also the TJ/Riptor dance on top of a body never gets old to me, lol.

4 Likes

Personally, I have nothing against target combos, and largely consider those as “1 attack” for the most part. As for the Kan-Ra setup, I think I’m more upset about the sheer amount of utility he gets off of it more than anything - moderate damage, a curse, a trap, a knockdown, advantage, etc. He has a LOT of options afterwards. Making changes so that I can do something about the stagger removes some of that pressure or would allow me to act earlier than I otherwise could. In any case, why aren’t command grabs breakable as part of the 3-hit rule? With projectiles, I could understand, since they don’t physically touch you, but command grabs, well, do. To keep things simple, you could make it so a command grab being breakable only applies outside of standard combos (which would leave traditional setups, like with TJ as they are now).

The reason is that command grabs aren’t treated as normal grabs. They are treated as throws that are untechable. You can’t break throws. Only tech them. Now apply this to command grabs and remove the option to tech.

Not entirely true (since you can now break air grabs)… :wink:

Air grabs? Not throws lol.

1 Like

Geek you are a character :laughing:

It’s a type of throw! :unamused:

Lol.

It still sounds to me like you’re proposing a solution while reaching pretty far to find a problem.

1 Like

You could also just… not get hit by the stagger move. It’s not like Kan st.HK is a particularly great button.

Because they would be trivially broken on reaction (Kan’s is always L strength) and made virtually useless in combo situations. Gargos’s air command throw is a general exception to this rule, since it is his recapture and they want him to play the counter break mindgame to get recapture opportunities, and the breakable version is not a traditional grounded command throw, so to me it basically feels more like a hit with a special animation than an actual grab. (Also, it took them until the 24th character to add combo breaks to one particular command throw, which should show why it’s generally not desired).

If adding exceptions to an already complicated system is making things “simple”, I think you and I have different definitions of simple.

Also, I don’t even understand what “outside of standard combos” means. If a command grab is “supposed” to be breakable, then that means it acts as a manual in a combo (ie, after a wall splat, or after a stagger). There’s no other way to do it… ie, there is no “standard” and “non-standard” way.

An air throw is not a command grab. :confused:

Even if you were to make the 3rd hit always breakable (i.e., somehow breaking a command grab), you still wouldn’t solve the issue that characters get a lot of options off stagger state. The whole point of stagger is that you get options off of it, after all. And if whatever option you chose was breakable because it was the 3rd “hit”, then the confirm would just become stagger->things. You aren’t solving the issue you say you want to solve.

And breakable command grabs isn’t a good idea. They’re either functionally impossible to identify (Hisako, TJ), or trivially easy to break (Kan-Ra, Raam on his heavy grab). You’ve been staggered, which is designed to function more or less like a wall splat, and now you have to deal with it. Command grabs are heavily scaled in these instances, so it isn’t like you’re eating a ton of damage from it anyway.

1 Like

In my experience, staggers don’t last very long in some cases. In fact half the time the recovery of the move I used to cause the stagger in the 1st place eats up half of the actual stagger time.

lol this is what i see when i come back at the forums lol

3 Likes

Correct me if im wrong but cant Cinder do some crazy projectile juggle ■■■■ that’s unbreakable?

1 Like

With his pyrobombs, yes. It’s things like this that are why I think projectiles need some sort of in-combo counter mechanic, since the 3-hit rule doesn’t apply.

So whwy didnt you mention his unbreakable combo?

Biased.jpg

Simple - I didn’t think of it. Even the devs don’t know every single possible potential combo.

Nah, he always has to put something that’s technically breakable in if he wants to cash it out. It is pretty nigh-unbreakable though - difficult to tell when he’s going to do the breakable part, and you largely have to guess on its strength.

1 Like

I never said anything about cashing it out :neutral_face:

I like the “projectiles aren’t breakable” rule. Which should be for ARIA’s grenades again.