Retro Alts not exact copies of original costumes

Orchids retro was initially KI2 Orchid then they retextured her. Then tweaked it abit later. I’m sure it’s just a reference to her look prior.

1 Like

I like DOA and I don’t want butt floss.

1 Like

Oh, I know. And I was confused and disappointed to see they went with her KI1 style instead, as I personally think her KI2 outfit are ways better. And no… not because of the thonged leotard. It just looks better, imo.

Meh. I think her KI1 outfit made more sense with her her current weapons and move set.

Well, that was another thing I was disappointed in. I preferred Orchid using tonfas over laserblades or her current batons. Again, just a personal preference.

All that said though, her new main looks tons better than any of her retros, imo. I feel that about most of the designs in KI. So I’m generally not all that excited about any of the retros. Most of them just generally looks bad compared to the all new and original designs.

1 Like

I think we both the batons and the tonfas, hopefully “Shorchid” (lol) will have the tonfas.

I would never want a “shadow” version of Orchid though. Makes no sense to me. I didn’t want a shadow version of Jago either. Rather have a new and original character with those moves.

1 Like

I think it fits Orchid to have an alter ego. Maybe not as a “shadow” character though. I like the idea of Orchid having a stealth/panther and Assualt mode.

Slowly starts to sound like another game… like MKX’s Variation system.
Well, I guess it’s mostly just a matter of personal taste. I don’t like multiple versions of the same character or clone-characters… it’s why I don’t like the shotoclones; Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Akuma, Sean, Dan etc.
It’s why I don’t like characters like “evil” or “altered” versions of already established characters, such as Evil Ryu, Oni, Orochi Iori, Violent Ken, Order Sol etc.
I’m finally glad to see the palette swaps that were the Mortal Kombat ninjas to finally look different from one another and not just “Blue Scorpion” and “Red Scorpion” and “Green Scorpion” etc.

I prefer characters who are original and different from one another. Seeing Jago twice on the roster is not something I want, so of course I don’t want to see Orchid twice either.

1 Like

Usually I’d feel the same but KI haven’t had any flat clones yet, shotos are pretty bad.(Sean was the exception for me) I really can’t associate the tonfas with anyone other than Orchid (Roxy Rave, maybe) I really hate having all the characters look similar but characters can technically be the same person and still be different. Look at Zelda & Shiek

Well, the difference here is that Zelda and Sheik don’t originate from a fighter. They are from an adventure RPG. Can’t compare it to the likes of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct which are/were fighting games first.

Anyways, this is going off-topic. Let’s stop this discussion here and go back on the rails. ^^

For the most part I like the small tweaks & changes made to the classics in S2/3 to make them fit better with the game’s current visual style and 3D models. Tweaks and improvements could still be made to improve them, but I don’t think the costumes would look better if they were more in line 1:1 with how they looked in KI1/2.

In that case, My main regret is buying the game in first place. Let’s see them stop the modders then, Cause believe me if I had the skills I’d do the modding myself.

I generally prefer the reimagined retros. Pure retros would be a lot more bland and monochromatic, and in some cases (Riptor) wouldn’t even fit into the new character design/model.

I think the small differences for some characters come from the fact that the devs are trying to pay homage to multiple sources. Orchid’s retro uses the KI2 boots, for example, with the original KI leotard. I like this, as I think it captures what was best about the character in both of her prior iterations. Jago’s color scheme (and the extreme ripped-ness of his outfit) is more an homage to KI2 than KI, for the person who mentioned his “sky blue” outfit.

Thunder is fine as well. I’ve actually always liked his retro, and despite the complaints, you can actually get him pretty darn close to his original incarnation with his various accessory sets. The only thing missing is the super high feather mohawk and all that stereotypical chanting he did in his ultra.

Some of the changes are just the devs taking creative license I think (like TJ, or retro Kim’s knee pads). In this case they are just tying to spice up a design they might feel is bland for whatever reason. Others are amalgamations of both incarnations of the character, as in Jago or Orchid’s cases. Others differ because the retro needs to actually match the character rig, as for Riptor or Glacius. All in all though, I’ve generally like and been on board with their reimaginings.

Only retro I truly dislike is Saberwulf’s, and that’s got nothing to do with it not being “faithful”, and everything to do with it just looking kind of bad. Though even I’ll admit - the robo arms accessories are pretty sweet.

2 Likes

So… It’s not the actual game you like. Because of some extra costumes don’t fit your taste, you feel the entire game is ruined. Is that correct? Because if so… then yeah, this isn’t the game for you. The game you want is the game that was released 20 years ago. And that’s not with the new KI is, and it was never meant to be that.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure, I caught that - you want to go TJ Lameo!?

LOL

Someone wants to see TJ Instinct Juggles…

1 Like

I actually like a lot of the Retro Costumes in the game, even the ones that are generally considered “bad” by most people.
Oddly enough there are some characters where I used their retros almost as often as I use their Color 9’s (Riptor, Fulgore, Glacius, Spinal, Sadira, TJ, and yes even Sabrepup).
There are some things that could be improved, sure. Maybe of Retro Wulf had pupiless glowing eyes he’d seem more like his threatening old self and less like an adorable puppy. Though I think the desparity between his retro and modern kinda feels like Aganos’s “older and younger versions of this character” thing. I mean, the modern Wulf even has a beard, in addition to more developed adult looking features. :laughing:

While there are Retro outfits I don’t care for no matter how accurate they are (I tend not to bother with Jago and Orchid, and I just don’t like Kan-Ra’s) I’m generally either pleased or indifferent.
I tend to be pretty laissez faire about this sort of thing, though. Maybe I’m just weird.

After I got over orchids retro mishap and accepted Maya without her hair (I just don’t use that character retro) I realized not everything is going to please everyone.

I guess what most that don’t like the Retros have to realize is that they don’t HAVE to choose the retro to use or enjoy the game!

I do choose Orchid retro but do NOT use those cowboy hat and cattle prods and silly helmet/ glasses and scarves / that cover her face or her bald head with the onion sprig.

But I do at least use the original retro especially the green and blue. I wish she had a black similar to Kim wus black.

I don’t use sabrewulf but that retro is atrocious
I feel Kim is one of the best Retros ever

I’m just glad she’s in!

Choice is key

1 Like

If I remember correctly way back in Season 1 when Retro Wulf was shown he had a tiny pupil and people complained that it needed to be bigger so they changed it.