Questions about NetherRealm Studios

I now got a few/number of questions about NetherRealm Studios (or just NRS for short) that have been on my mind for awhile now.

Here is my 1st question: Does NetherRealm Studios used motion-capture technology for their (primarily) fighting games which is why their overall gameplay mechanics are rather stiff and clunky?

They use mo-cap like almost every game dev these days.

I am not expert but my gut tells me their clunkiness is result of their programming and design philosophy.

Like, forward dashes in MKX have so much recovery to force you to run more.

Yeah, their clunkiness comes from their desire to make MK, at its root, mimic old kung-fu movies, where impacts were highlighted and exaggerated and every punch and kick was accompanied by the sound of someone whacking a 2x4 on a table.

1 Like

2nd question: Do any of you feel/find that WB Games is interfering in AND with NRS’s development works/projects? If so, why can’t they just simply tell them to give them more freedom and liberty as well as leeway because, after all, it is THEIR OWN games that they’re working on, right?

I mean, MK as a series has been using motion capture for decades even before it was standard industry practice, so I don’t think they’d have any reason to stop. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as WB is concerned, I think the only main way they’ve tampered with the development process has been with choosing who does the PC port. I could be wrong, but I think the parent company chooses who ports stuff to other platforms after the developers make it. And there was a pretty bad streak there for WB games and PC for a while. Otherwise I think they probably give Netherrealm Carte Blanche to do whatever they choose.

1 Like