Please... No more guest characters... Don't make the same mistake as Ed Boon

“Don’t make the same mistake Ed Boon made.” Meanwhile MKX has sold around 6 million copies. Other fighting games like KI and SFV have a hard time reaching 500k. Clearly MKX is doing something right.

3 Likes

It’s undeniable that MKX is doing great (although not as great as MK 9). But we don’t have any numbers for KI - so you can’t say it “has a hard time reaching 500k.”

Halo is owned by Microsoft, But you dont see the word “Microsoft” Spray painted all over the walls in those games. You DEFINITELY dont see guest characters either. Bungie and 343 have most of the creative ability in those games, but there is no “3rd party” owner of KI. It used to be Double Helix, now it is IG, but How much control do you think they get in KI?

Apparently it is WAY less than most companies get with their games. We probably could have gotten guest characters from ANY movie or game available, but instead we have 2 from VERY closely related IPs. And there are still unannounced guests, so they are probably also going to be directly from a Microsoft led title.

Guests are only cool if they add a lot to the game, and pull different groups of fans together. Having a microsoft game with a bunch of Microsoft characters is not fun. I would happily give up the Arbiter (I LOVE HIM SO MUCH) if it meant that we got more variety in the guests. Preferably guests chosen by IG and NO ONE else. I trust IG. Not Microsoft. Microsoft has done enough damage to gaming.

Not going to lie, i would estimate KI to be at around 100k Seasons sold. It is the best looking game i know of in terms of “style”, and it has the best gameplay of any fighter, but it is just too “niche”. Believe me, KI is my first fighter, so i know how hard it is to get a new player to enjoy a fighting game. It takes DEDICATION in extreme amounts, and a very humble spirit to play a fighting game. Fighters are too scary and difficult for most people to enjoy.

MKX is just violent. that is where all the sales come from.

(also, there are probably a lot of people who loved classic KI that dont enjoy the reboot. We all know reboots always get unfair criticism.)

The problem with that comparison is that Halo is what made Xbox a success, you’re damn right they weren’t gonna mess with bungies’ creative decisions. KI on the other hand is still a small game, IG can’t go up and be like “hey, Spend millions of dollars so we can use batman”

2 Likes

I’m certain KI sells less than MKX. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers were much higher than 100K. For one thing, lots more people buy fighters than play them regularly. People buy the game, play it when their friends come over and then put it in a drawer. For another, I think if the game only sold 100k seasons we wouldn’t have a S3.

But I have no numbers or data to back it up.

1 Like

I think Microsoft has a lot more involvement in the game’s development that anyone thinks, even you, Fnrslvr.

Yeah. It’s Mortal Kombat. The name alone sells like Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss.

1 Like

please IG make Eds mistake!!! so i can get a proper story mode! lol

Ive got room for one more guest… JUS saying!

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

There’s so much wrong with this paragraph that I’m just going to rattle off a bunch of things. Can you confirm that Gears costumes don’t show up in Halo multiplayer? We already have confirmation that Arbiter isn’t showing up in KI’s story. Bungie has zero to do with Halo, their spectacular split from Microsoft ensures as much. 343 is wholly owned by Microsoft, so you can bet that someone at Microsoft has veto power over every decision they make. IG is an independent studio who clearly don’t get full creative control over KI, but they also don’t have to suffer the curse of making the same game over and over and over and over and…

You seem to have this warped view that if Microsoft set up a dedicated KI studio, then said studio would have a whole bunch of autonomy and prestige and clout and creative freedom. There’s really zero reason to believe that – it certainly isn’t evidenced by Halo getting bigger budgets or Microsoft taking the Halo story more seriously. That’s a natural consequence of Halo being profoundly popular, highly lucrative and an integral part of Xbox’s strategy. By comparison, KI is a niche franchise and probably still wouldn’t be half as big as Halo in reception if they handed IG $100mil and told them to go nuts.

Which guests would you have wanted? Give examples if you can.

After that, could you indicate whether you think 343 could include those guests in Halo, since you seem to think they’d have the capability to do what they want?

This is about you being a Microsoft anti-fanboy? I don’t want to alarm you, but you’re coming across as a lunatic.

You should probably think about making peace with MS owning KI, and try to decide whether to (a) embrace MS owning the property; or (b) walk away. It’s not like they’re going to let go of it, or keep it at arm’s length.

…uh, are you disagreeing with me about anything?

Umm, no. I was strongly agreeing with you, noting that Microsoft does more than just simply making decisions on how the game should turn out.

I have stuck wit Microsoft for a long time. I have always thought they mad many things better than others.

But after time, and many bad experiences, i have learned that most of microsoft is a joke. Bad customer service, bad consumer communication, faulty short-lasting products, and MANY business decisions that have been terrible for the gaming scene.

If it werent for Halo and a few other games, i would have gone to PS a long time ago. Now that most of my favorite games have been ruined, i probably will go to playstation at some point.

Das stupid…Didnt we have a Ryu Hayabusa armour for halo 3? That was pretty huge…

and also you forgot RARE you know like the biggest games dev ever! lol The reason why this game exists.

Yeah thats dumb too! Adam works for MS not IG… Hes the creative director… Hes the one who has damaged gaming and KI so badly lately lol.

not everything MS does is bad! There are allot of good directors.

Of course they do? Why shouldn’t they? They paided BILLIONS for Rare… its like buying a car and then having no say in what colour you want JUST because Ford is making it?

Microsoft has done a great job with his game. They have worked with 2 studios who weren’t known or renowned for making their own games to produce something competitive on a world stage.

Everyone is a winner here!

The difference from halo and KI is about a about 60 million units lol. We need Guests characters to improve Kis exposure outwardly.

Anyone who didn’t notice the arbiter buzz and the amount of people who will buy this game JUST for arbiter is clearly blind…

This game needs to be bigger than just what we “want.” Sometimes adding hype and characters people already love will do that!

my gosh… you can have both you know! lol We are talking KI and KI has only every been IMPROVED by MS not ruined

Cant agree with bad costumer service. When i had a problem i went to microsofts live chat support and they were always nice and helped me out.

4 Likes

My personal experience have been with the Xbox.

But the REALLY bad one was when i tried to get an Xbox one controller to work on my PC. It was SUPPOSED to work instantly, but after 2 live chats, 2 phone calls, AND BEING HUNG UP ON, i decided it was not worth my time. (After multiple hours.)

me either… they replaced my X1 for free out of warranty.

Phill set me up with ppl to fix my groove app on my phone and when my 1st 360 died they replaced it gave me 2 free games and £60 GAME voucher.

i cant complain here in the uk its BRILLIANT!

1 Like

Ah, k dude.

I’m not sure this is really a time or place to dissect your experiences with Microsoft, so I’m not going to bother with that. Good luck with Sony, I guess, if that’s such a momentous life decision or whatever. :neutral_face:

But you have to admit that a thesis that is basically “please MS, don’t MS up your wholly MS-owned KI with your MS stuff!” is kinda crazy. (Maybe you’d have grounds to complain if their MS guests weren’t working out well?)

Er, I didn’t write the quote you quoted above this response.

yeah i dunno why it did that lol

this is lolz.

its more that KI doesn’t have to pay anyone for licensing their character can u imagine how TINY our budget would be if we started picking characters from marvel???