Pet Peeves: Advice

What is the most irritating piece of advice that another player could give you related to your play in KI? It could be irritating because it’s false/true, because its hard advice to follow, or any other reason. It could be character specific, or general.

Here’s mine to start things up:
“Learn to block on wakeup”

I hate this piece of advice because it is usually given to me when I get meatied on wakeup. This irritates because most of the time I am actually trying to block, but I guess the wrong mixup and get hit for trying. This advice is also irritating whenever an opponent is very throw happy, when that piece of advice sucks (not to mention I’m bad at throw teching in general).

2 Likes

I hate “git gud”. It is horrible advice and doesn’t teach anything. It sucks even more when you want help from a better player but then this happens.

6 Likes

“Git gud”. Not just in fighting games but in games as a whole.

The freak you think I’ve been trying to do!

5 Likes

There is no advice that’s bad to me, but I do hate having to hear the same advice again, even though I acknowledge it. Muscle memory sucks sometimes, and I don’t mean to do it. So when someone calls me out on it as advice, I get irritated, because I should know it by now after the Umpteenth time :sweat_smile:

Like “Stop Jumping” everytime I play @STORM179 :joy:

Even when I’m playing other Hisakos, I get hit by an Anti-Air, and it’s like:

Storm’s Words echoed in your head: “There’s a time and place for everything, but not now…”

:joy:

+1 for whoever gets this reference

3 Likes

I got the reference lol.

Why can’t I use my bike in the center, damn it…

“Like “Stop Jumping” everytime I play @STORM179 :joy:

HEY, THAT’S MY LINE

2 Likes

Nobody ever gives me advice online, except for you guys here on the forums, so it’s whatever you guys tell me. :yum:

1 Like

"don’t use powerline too much"
■■■■■ you and eat this raw 20% punish powerline!

1 Like

I don’t usually mind advice unless it’s pretty obvious that the other player has next to no “practical” experience with the character and is painfully naive to how it plays out in practice 90% of the time.

Ridicule; being made fun of, that’s what gets under my skin. Especially when I have not instigated it.

“DUDE, STOP DOING WAKE UP THROW”

@SonicDolphin117, one of the multiple times he eats a wake up throw.

I don’t have any problem with any advice.

I have it with the attitude of some people who gives the advice, like: “what, you don’t do that? Hohoho you scumbag casual”

Luckily I don’t see this often. And luckily my crossbow is not at hand when it happens

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t think of any advice that specifically bothers me. But advice delivered in a way intended to make you feel bad for needing advice is definitely better left unsaid.

I suppose if I reach I would say telling someone to “just do” something that has a high execution barrier might count. “Just do more manuals” or “just hit confirm into shadow” or some such.

Don’t wanna say there isn’t any bad advice, but i don’t harp at any that’s been given. My ego got squashed a long time ago.

1 Like

A lot of people disagree with me on this but advice that bugs me is advice that holds back on criticism to avoid making someone feel bad. If you think i suck then tell me, it’ll be more beneficial than sugarcoating and making me continue to think I’m doing ok.

4 Likes

Any advice being given after a set that I’d already implemented by the end of the set, before they’d said anything.

2 Likes

“d-don’t lose xd”

I don’t think we can count “git gud” as a good advice. That’s honestly just an insult : p

I’ve never had bad advice related to KI, in fact, I’m usually always giving advice.

Advice on my play is appreciated when I actually ask someone “Hey so how did I do?” But when someone just starts lambasting your play, especially in a rude way, then I’m just going to zone you out of my brain.

As far as giving advice, and I think I told @ItzTymeToDul this once before, but I feel super awkward giving advice. Like if someone asked me “Hey could you tell me a few things about playing character X” my first response would probably be “There’s probably people on the forums or on Youtube that you could watch or ask that would know a lot better how to use him than I do.” Probably related to my social anxiety. :confused:

1 Like

When someone tells me to do something and then immediately makes it much harder for me to follow through on that advice by using tactics that directly subvert the usefulness of that advice.
Examples:
“Just block high.” -proceeds to throw nothing but lows and throws-
“Watch out for sweeps.” -overhead city-
“Just jump out of the throw mix up” -DP-
“Hey just finish up the dishes and you’re free to go.” -dumps a load of crusty pots and pans on the counter-

5 Likes

I rarely get advice online, unless I’m playing sets with friends. Most of the messages I get from randoms are insults due to the fact that I’m using Sadira.

1 Like

From a vastly better player than myself who knew all the mixups and creative ways to control screen space at about 1am on Friday after I’d been up for way too many hours, after a full work week when I was just looking to chill and play some casual sets with friends:-

“You know Hisako has a counter, right?”

“You know Spinal has skull projectiles, right?”

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/666/_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

1 Like

That’s when you say