Mortal Kombat X for PS3 & 360 Canceled

“After months of development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has come to the regrettable conclusion that we cannot release Mortal Kombat X for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Please know our teams worked diligently to meet the quality standards set by the current-gen versions of the game,” the publisher’s announcement states. “We were not able to get [these] versions to the quality expected of a Mortal Kombat game and are very sorry for not being able to deliver the products as originally planned.”

Full Article http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/28/mortal-kombat-x-for-playstation-3-xbox-360-has-been-canceled/

1 Like

Pretty disappointing for people who were waiting on the 360/PS3 version of the game. It’s hard to imagine they just couldn’t get the game working on those machines at all. Even if it looked like MK 9 I think people would have been fine with it.

1 Like

This isn’t too awful surprising, but it’s still kinda hard to hear and take. Wish it didn’t have to happen, but if the quality of the game can’t be assured to work properly, you gotta cut your losses. If they had launched a barely working console port into the market that crashed a lot or had major frame rate issues, it would have made more people mad than the current course of action they’re taking now.

I don’t see NetherRealm suffering for this fiscally, but maybe as a PR problem of not delivering on a promise to last gen console owners.

1 Like

After that abomination of a PC port this is a sweet kindness. Aborting is the right choice when High Voltage is involved.

Yeah, I think it’s a PR problem, and frankly I think it should be. NRS knows what is required to make a functioning PS3/360 game. They made a very good one with MK9 and again with Injustice. They said they were going to do it, and then they didn’t. People preordered the game, and I expect it was a lot of people. While I agree that launching a broken title would have been worse, It’s clear that if they had put the money and the time into making the game they could have made it.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, since no one can have a crystal ball and sometimes project management is very challenging. But I’m looking at the gameplay of MK X and I think it could be done on last gen consoles, with of course toned down graphics.

It may be that High Voltage is terrible, but I think that it’s dangerous to jump to conclusions because of port work. No matter how talented and diligent you are, if the studio doesn’t give you enough time and money you aren’t going to be able to make something happen. IG is getting slammed over the Arkham Knight port, but we have ample evidence that IG is capable of terrific work.

1 Like

A very valid point.

This is a pervasive issue across all industries; suits with little to no experience on the ground-floor setting unrealistic precedents for just how long a project should take, or how little resources the project can scrape by with. These people generally have no regard for product quality, and the results of their hasty decision making are self evident.