Mortal Kombat 11

I thought the Revenants were well done. The characters have been around for twenty odd years, so it was interesting seeing a different take on them. They were indeed the same characters, but with all their negative emotions and personality traits brought to the forefront.

In terms of skins in Mortal Kombat 11, some start with a non-Revenant skin available, others are super easy to get. Simple play Jade’s Tutorial, for example, and bam, instant non-Revenant skin. Getting one for each character is pretty easy and doesn’t take a lot of time or grinding.

@justathereptile Yeah, Scorpion screwed up pretty big in Mortal Kombat X.

Overall I find Mortal Kombat X’s story to be the weakest of the three games. There’s several pretty big plot holes and dropped concepts that simply don’t make sense at all.

I can’t decide which story I like better between Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat 11, both are excellent and have their own pros and cons.

1 Like

I mean, that’s a fine interpretation, but I’VE only been around for 20 odd years, and I’ve only been a fan of Mortal Kombat for about 5 of them. So it was frustrating for me to see these characters I had JUST gotten to know in MK9 be turned into something completely other. It just… wasn’t fun for me, though I can understand why it would be fun for others.

And I don’t just want A non revenant skin. I want THE non revenant skin. The ones they use in Story Mode. I have variants of most of them, but all in these bizarre off-colors because they count a pallet swap as a different costume.

Seriously, It would have been great if they had made it so you unlocked Color 1 of a skin set AND THEN could start unlocking the pallet swaps. Or gave the story mode costumes to you as a reward for clearing their story chapter. Something.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought the Revenant storyline was a cool addition to the series’ lore. Liu Kang spent like 20 years being the chosen one, so it was an interesting change of pace to have him be the chief Revenant of the bad guys (and a better one than killing and zombifying him, ala DA and Deception/Armageddon). It was interesting to see the bad versions of all these characters who we’d known to be the main series protagonists for all these years, and it gave the narrative room to breathe in terms of shining the spotlight on other MK stalwarts. Johnny Cage, for my money the very best characterization they’ve done in the series, doesn’t get to grow the way he has if Liu Kang and Kung Lao aren’t removed from the picture somehow. The Revenants were a cool way to accomplish that I think, letting them (and importantly, the players) still play with those former heroes even as they focused their narrative efforts elsewhere.

1 Like

While I personally agree with @STORM179, I understand where you’re coming from.

One thing I find very interesting about the reboot storyline for Mortal Kombat is the parallels that occur with the original timeline, despite how much events have changed, and despite the timeline lasting much longer (since Armageddon was avoided), yet certain character fates still occur, though they’re brought about differently.

Dark Raiden, for example. This character existed in the original timeline, and was created by Raiden absorbing some of Onaga’s energy after his “death” at the beginning of Mortal Kombat: Deception. You see Dark Raiden as he’s killed by Shao Kahn at the beginning of Mortal Kombat (2011), when he sends his memories back to his past self and alters time.

Yet despite this, and despite avoiding the rebirth of Onaga in this timeline, Raiden still ends up becoming Dark Raiden via different means (by absorbing Shinnok’s corruption from the Jinsei in Mortal Kombat X).

In the original timeline, Kung Lao, Kitana, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, and Jax are all killed by Shang Tsung and Quan Chi, and they’re resurrected from the dead by Onaga but bound to serve him. They’re later saved by Ermac, who also houses Liu Kang’s soul. While not the exact same as becoming Revenants, it’s certainly a parallel concept, and similar scenario for Kitana, Kung Lao, and Jax.

Speaking of Liu Kang, he’s killed in the intro cinematic of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance by Quan Chi and Shang Tsung, and brought back as a zombie by Dark Raiden in Mortal Kombat: Deception. Yet another parallel.

For skins, yeah, each character really has about half a dozen skins, and the rest are palette swaps. I personally prefer how skins were done in the previous game, but I’m not up in arms about the skin system in this game like many are.

In time you can usually get the skins you want, but at least there are cool alternatives to use while you wait.

Just one of things that shows what happens when you let your emotions stomp out your logic.
Though one complaint I did have about MKX was most of the new gen characters. But I did like how Reptile has been getting better treatment and more of an active role in the story. Still a shame I don’t know what happened to him in the MK11 timeline.

But speaking of missing characters in MK11.

Yup. Emotions are great, they help us and are a part of us, but knee-jerk reacting, or obsessing, oft leads to serious issues in real life.

I didn’t mind the new characters. Mortal Kombat X came out in 2015, and the last game in the franchise to have new characters, as I recall, was Mortal Kombat: Deception in 2004! It’s been a while and some fresh blood is not a bad thing.

Interesting tidbit for those who don’t know: Midway had actually gotten tired of the same old characters game after game after game, so with Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, the plan was to kill everyone off so they could start completely fresh with the next game.

Midway got into financial trouble though, and they ended up partnering with Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment to make Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe instead. While the game was not well received, it was still good enough to entice WBIE to purchase the franchise and to hire on the development team when Midway went bust, and thus we now have NetherRealm Studios.

They had to restore franchise faith, and shifted to proper competitive play and design, for Mortal Kombat (2011), so they went with the supreme klassic roster, but for Mortal Kombat X, I truly believe they were testing the waters with many of the new characters to see if they could replace some of the old timers.

The game was set 25 years later, characters like Johnny, Sonya, Jax, Kenshi, etc. were older, and many of the “wonder kids” I believe were set to take their place. Since only a few of the new characters were praised though, I believe NetherRealm decided not to follow through on this.

For the story of Mortal Kombat X, some of my beefs, as I mentioned, are the plot holes. For example, we never find out how Mileena got the Amulet of Shinnok. It’s said Rain stole it for her, but then it’s implied that Kano did. At one point Raiden is remote communicating with Sonya while investigating the Amulet’s supposed vault, and he mysteriously has to cut communication as if he’s about to be in trouble, and that plot line is completely dropped and not followed up again! There’s more, but stuff like that was just a head scratcher.

Armageddon actually. They added Taven and Daegon, but still, that’s like 2 new characters to the 61 returning, so you’re forgiven for not remembering them. They were pretty generic and boring anyway.

2 Likes

Ah yes, you’re correct.

I honestly didn’t play the 3D era games simply because they were not that good. I ended up playing Mortal Kombat: Unchained several years later, mostly just to kill time in transit. It was alright, but nothing to write home about.

1 Like

I’m sure it will. I think the whole revenant thing is done with. I’ll be curious to see where they go from here. Part of me wonders if MK12 will be a story of the original Kung Lao vs Shang Tsung, with Liu Kang trying to shape the future. There are several characters that could return from Outworld and Edenia in order to fill out the roster with familiar characters. They could have ancestors of Scorpion and Sub Zero since lord knows those two need to be in the game in some capacity. Maybe we even get a fast forward from those events to see how Liu Kang’s new timeline effected everything as it stands in the present.

I just hope… I mean REALLY hope, that it’s not just another retelling of the trilogy events. We’ve had that twice now between MK1-3 as well as MK9. We don’t need another excuse to revisit that again, and if they do feel compelled to go there, it should be in the form of some sort of video montage that relays the way the events happened differently this time, leading to something entirely different than what came after in the 3D era and MKX and MK11. That’s my 2 cents anyways.

Like Baraka and the more unique look they took at the Tarkatans in MK11, I think it’s definitely time for Reptile to step out of his previous roles and in to something new, and I think this would be a great way to develop him as a character in the new era. Give him something to personally fight for, not just another leader to be duped by or to be subservient to. I don’t mind the whole good vs evil battle and sure, each side has their own lackeys or whatever, but when that’s all a character has been for a series that has been around THIS long… It might be time to do something new and fresh.

I agree. MKX just had too much in the way of characters doing dumb things for reasons passing understanding. MK9 was nice in that it took the trilogy era and changed up a few things, even if things like Cyber Sub Zero didn’t exactly stick. I personally prefer MK11s since it gave us a new villain and brought in the different eras, which I thought was a fun way to play character of character and what not. That’s just me though.

Agreed. Seeing Liu Kang go from being the good guy that always won to a dead bad guy was really cool. Honestly wish they’d done this the first time around instead of turning him in to a zombie. That would’ve made him a lot more interesting in Deception IMO.

Maybe. I think the focus went a little too heavily in the direction of the special forces, with even Sub Zero and Scorpion kinda playing second fiddle, but I agree that they did a really good job with Johnny in particular. Of course, it would’ve been nice if they’d also spent a bit more time on other characters that could use some development, particularly from the 3D era, but I suppose that’s just a ship that’s not coming in and I need to get used to it lol.

I always thought it was weird that the good guys were the only focus in terms of the story. I mean sure we got to see a little bit from the bad guys here and there, but in terms of chapters and character development, the pendulum definitely swung in the favor of the heroes. Villains never really seemed to have missions that required a chapter’s worth of battles and plot development. I see why the revenants were a way to pull some characters away from the spotlight to let other shine, but it also would’ve been nice to have given some of the bad guys stuff to do beyond getting their tails kicked by the good guys.

Yeah, I remember Ed saying in magazine interviews that this was more or less the end of MK as we knew it, and I think at the time I was kind of relieved. I figured they’d keep Sub Zero, Scorpion and maybe Raiden, but otherwise it felt like it was kinda time to move on. I knew they weren’t going back to 3D era character designs and they couldn’t just keep doing trilogy crap right… Right?? Well… lol.

Yeah I think this is a bit of a problem for MKX because they included both the characters as well as the characters that were sort of meant to replace them. It kinda made certain characters feel redundant, especially if they were barely in the story or just there to sort of help or advise or whatever. Now, had they moved on from those helper/adviser types in MK11, it would’ve made sense, they didn’t. A few were taken out, but not enough IMO.

There were some positives and negatives to these games. The gameplay is, to me, not great. Not bad, but still very much in the dial-a-combo mode that promoted a lot of similar combos. Plus, there just wasn’t much in the way of special moves. I remember some characters in MKDA had like two, which seems just ridiculous now.

But MK:DA, to me, had a very nice art style, especially with the backgrounds. House of Pekara remains my all time favorite MK stage, with Lung Hai Temple not far behind. Also, at the time, it felt like a substantial step forward from MK4 which gave me enough hope for the future of the franchise. Also, the story and the lore elements were second to none at the time. The intro movie was as well.

MK:D kinda took what made MK:DA interesting and doubled down in some ways, while abandoning other aspects. The art style was, to me, worse than MK:DA. If the themes in MK:DA were a bit more eastern and mystical, the themes in MK:D were very much dark, torture chamber-esque. Wasn’t really a big fan. They still had some cool ideas though, like the Falling Cliffs stage, and the roster was full of more favorite returning characters, even if the new additions were extremely forgettable.

That was my one big issue with MK:D, aside form the Konquest mode’s endless running around and time changing, the new characters were exceedingly under developed and poorly designed. They had some interesting moments, but in terms of their overall packaging, they were terrible even next to the MK:DA newbies.

MK:A was what it was. A lot of what worked in MK:D with every character thrown in. It was cool to see some characters like Jerek and Kai get redesigns and some characters get extra moves and what not. The gameplay, with the mid-air combos, was actually pretty fun, even if it looked ridiculous.

There’s some value to be had here, especially from a story standpoint. But if you haven’t played them and you’ve played the new trilogy, well… I think these will look pretty rudimentary in comparison. For me though, they were the precursors to the current games and they did so much more, especially in terms of story and gameplay options, than the original trilogy and MK4 ever did. So for that stuff alone, they kinda have a special place in my heart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know it won’t happen. But I would very much like MK12 to be another Armageddon scenario. Very little plot. Very little customization. Just every character coming back (even the guests if possible). With the premise being that Time God Liu Kang and Time Goddess Kitana are just testing out what-if scenarios, trying to nail down their possible timeline.

I honestly doubt NRS has a plan for MK12 at this point. I think their support for MK11 is going to extend a bit further into the future than their recent history with fighting games suggests. Then the big question becomes will there be an Injustice 3? Although the conceit is getting a bit tired to me, the game sells well enough that a sequel seems likely and probably geared for next gen consoles. So assuming that happens we are looking at maybe 5 years at least until MK 12.

4 Likes

I’d say considering that they missed that shot with mk11 I think they’ll just retell mortal kombat with some new twists.

If there is an Injustice 3, I honestly wish they’d drop the a-hole Superman plot. It was an interesting concept to start with, but Superman is a dull block of wood no matter if he’s good or bad. The only thing they can really do with him as a bad guy is have you go “Wait…is he gonna be one of the good guys again? Holy cow I think he’s going to be a good guy again! It’s about friggin’ time! I thought for sure…aaaaaaand he’s still an a-hole. Should have seen it coming.”

1 Like

I basically ignore the Injustice plot. I think it was a tired concept before they started, but at least it explains why everyone is fighting.

As far as being boring, People always say this about Superman. But that’s what Clark Kent was for - to provide interesting and relatable stories for Superman and to allow him to have a personality. As we have raced to make comics and their stories ever more tailored to adults in a modern world, we have lost some of that. Secret identities are hokey, and trying to keep your identity secret from your girlfriend is apparently too lame for modern writers. Instead it’s either dystopian/dysfunctional relationships or else a focus on just fighting every more powerful enemies until everything devolves into dragon ball z…

Keep in mind he originally fought bank robbers. I think Superman vs Lex Luthor trying to steal the gold from Ft. Knox is just an inherently different type of storytelling than Superman vs. Doomsday.

1 Like

Yeah, It’s like somewhere down the line writers decided that cynicism was shorthand for mature.

And you’re right about Clark. In fact, now that I think about it, having Superman juggling pretending to be a bumbling nobody and manage to keep it up as well as he did, while at the same still managing to sneak in a save every now and then under everyone’s noses was one of the best things about the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.
…I need to go watch those again…

And I guess to bring it back to MK, I really appreciate how they ended the current trilogy’s story, what with the fire god Liu Kang and the good guys coming out on top & all. Kinda in the same vein, there seemed to be less of a cynical edge to the story…maybe because they were able to play both angles on a lot of characters with their time doubles and all.
It really makes me curious as to what direction the story will go in in MK 12.

1 Like

Beavis and Butt-Head as possible new guest characters in Mortal Kombat 12, Injustice 3, or both even? And how would Ed Boon feel about having them as guest characters in those games too?

I think Sub-Zero and Scorpion are inherently limiting characters narratively, since they come in with a fair amount of lore baggage and necessarily view the world through the yellow ninja/blue ninja lens. Accordingly, I think using the kombat kids (or the spec-ops, if you prefer) as the narrative juice for MKX was definitely the right call. Framing the story around them just allows so much more creative freedom than simply going back through another tale of the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu. By all means give Scorpion and Sub-Zero their due (the way MK11 gave them side chapters), but I’m perfectly fine letting the more untapped/untested SF take the lead in story mode.

NRS’ story modes are already a massive undertaking, and already have complaints (like yours above) that series mainstays like the ninjas aren’t getting enough screentime. I just don’t see how you could take a good look at the villain side of things without introducing even more plot holes or bloating the script or both. I think it’s better that the team simply focus their efforts.

I’d be pretty surprised if they tried to return the story to any form of original trilogy status quo, but at the same time I imagine we’ll wind up in roughly the same time window. Move too far in either direction and you run into the risk of launch SF3’s or SCV’s problem of “where are all my series favorites!?”, and you similarly waste a bunch of new and interesting characters if you jump into a story about even the not-too-distant past. NRS put a lot of love into Cassie and Jacqui and the other kombat kids, and I doubt that they’ll just want to toss all of that aside (though to Andy’s point, MK12 is so far away that maybe people will feel differently then).

I think the kombat kids are about the best you’re going to be able to do though in terms of bringing in a whole new generation of characters without provoking a backlash. Moving the story entirely over to them will never go over well I don’t think - they got sniped at in MKX even when their forebears were still around after all. But the connections they had to past kombatants was useful in grounding them in the existing series lore in a way that lots of the MK:D and MK:A new folks didn’t have, and I think that kind of connection is useful if you’re adding a bunch of cast members. Sure you can bring in a Geras or Kollector or D’Vorah in a one-off capacity, but I don’t think NRS will have a ton of leeway to simply wipe the character slate clean and go nuts.

He really isn’t, but that’s definitely a discussion for another time. One of my huge comic pet peeves is the mischaracterization of Supes as boring and dull. He has a ton of creative potential when written well…it’s incredibly annoying to me that so often people just write him (or write him off) as a dumb flying brick >.<

2 Likes

Interestingly, we don’t now how Mortal Kombat 11 ends, as there’s multiple endings and of the three, we have yet to learn which is canon.

Did Fire God Liu Kang defeat Kronika and bring Kitana back to shape time with him? Did Fire God Liu Kang defeat Kronika and mortal Raiden remained for the rest of his life helping Liu shape the sands of time? Or, did Kronika defeat Fire God Liu Kang, and she simply restarted time yet again?

And of these three could be canon, and all allow for completely random story evolution. Basically, the writers are now free to do anything they want.

2 Likes

I think it’s often overlooked that this is ALWAYS true. They can toss out, retcon or reboot any of their previous work any time they feel like it and as long as there’s a thread of familiarity people are still going to roll with it for the most part. Not to minimize all the impressive progress they have made in storytelling or to infuriate those of you who are really into the lore. But they could just stick Patrick Duffy in the shower and say it was all a dream, decide Rey’s parents were nobody, tell everyone that Peter Parker is Spider-Man… hell they could even start calling it Mortal Combat. Nothing is really stopping them beyond their own interest in the story they have created so far. Just walk through the plots they have used so far and you will see that this has always been true.

I think there is some elegance in how they ended things in the story mode for MK11 because of how OBVIIOUS it is that they can do whatever they want going forward. But really, they are never all that limited.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I probably should have said…that good or bad they wrote him as a dull block of wood.