Mighty No 9

Most cringe-worthy trailer I’ve seen in a long time. XD

1 Like

I watched someone streaming this last night. I have to say I’ve never been a mega man fan, but I do think nostalgia goggles are playing a big role here. The original games were super hard because they were really short. So you had to play them over and over to try to win. This creates a sort of Stockholm syndrome where the game tortures you until it becomes a familiar friend, lol.

I just think there are not a lot of good ideas left for this genre and people expecting the 30th version to feel as fresh and new as the first are always going to be disappointed.

The graphics look pretty unimpressive and the level design didn’t seem fantastic, but the two boss fights I saw looked interesting and challenging. So I’m not sure that the reviews aren’t being a tad harsh.

Stockholm sysdrome, lol.

So does mighty number 9 have long stages?

They seem pretty short to me

So is it a short game overall?

wow…

I like the game.

Is it 4 mil. worth? Absolutely not.
Keiji Inafune wasn’t the man I thought he was, and that’s a huge disappointment. Not to mention the circumstances around the game is really bad at the moment. But even then, I find that Comcept made a fun game.

Fun… not great or awesome, nothing groundbreaking or innovative, nowhere near perfect and not what people expected… but fun. At least in my opinion.

For 4 mil., it does indeed feel very bare though. I do wonder where the money went.

Would you say it’s on par with games like dkc tropical freeze, a game fun to play every once in a while? Or should people just down right skip this one?

I have never really enjoyed Mega Man, so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter much. But I have a really hard time seeing why people would love Mega Man but think this was garbage. It looks like Mega Man to me.

I also think people’s expectations are wildly out of proportion. The game costs $20 on Xbox. View it in that context. An Indie developer with $4 million is still an indie developer. It’s not only about money.

Maybe I’m missing something…

I’m gonna be honest here, I never grew up with Mega Man. Not that I don’t like the series or anything, it’s just I’ve never been exposed to Mega Man. The only thing I saw back then was Mega Man NT Warrior which was based on the Battle Network series. To get to the point of this, I saw early footage of Mighty No. 9 and it looked interesting but didn’t win me over like others did because I never grew up playing Mega Man, infact the only "Mega Man"game I’ve played was Shovel Knight (which is the best game EVAR!..next to Donkey Kong Country). So I moved on and 3 years later when the Masterclass trailer arrived, it honestly kinda intrigued me to try it. Yea it looked like a cousin of KOF14 in terms of graphics but the gameplay looked fun. I was considering buying it until I saw the reviews. Everyone agreed that the level design and gameplay mechanics were frustrating and ineffective too. it looked half ■■■ and really failed to live up the expectation. So I won’t bother. One day I might try a real Mega Man game preferably the legacy collection but not now.

I have never tried DKC:TF, but it looks more fun and has better graphics than Mn9.

Thing is, Mn9 is a love-letter to Mega Man fans. It’s just written with crayons by someone who doesn’t know how to rhyme in his basic poetry. Like, the intention is good, but the execution… not so good.

I enjoy Mn9, because it reminds me of a franchise that is no longer existent, a franchise I’ve been raised with. Mega Man was a HUGE part of my life. And though I had high hopes for Mighty no. 9, I also knew the risk that comes with Kickstarter projects and I generally try not give into the hype, because I know how disappointed you can get by riding the hype-wave and then crash into a concrete wall when a game doesn’t live up to the hype.

The game is mediocre. The ratings aren’t wrong. And the community have every right to be pissed at Keiji Inafune.

The game is only 20 bucks though, and it’s an enjoyable game for what it is, imo.

1 Like

To me the game looks and plays like the last couple of Mega Man games that were put on the PSP. I’m not surprised with the reviews. The game plays very similar to all Mega Man game after X4…similar voice acting, similar pacing, similar art style…excluding the failures of X7 and X8, of course…and they all received scores that would be best described as “meh”.

Also looking at metacritic, the ones that are giving the game bad scores are making it crystal clear that they are butthurt over the kickstarter, so I’d honestly say on this one especially I’d say take them with a grain of salt…hell, use a 1lb bag of the stuff…

Oi, X7 sucked, but X8 was awesome!

X8 was better…quite a bit, but far from the pennicle. I’d have to say 2 & X1 share that title.

X1, X4 and X8 are my faves.
Oh, and the entire Megaman Zero series. Zero is my fave. <3

3 Likes

Same here! I’d say those 3 are the top of the X series. Zero series aint bad either.

I guess I’ll have to try Mn9 for myself then. I don’t mind if it’s not similar to other megaman games, as long as it’s fun then I’ll buy it.

Honestly haven’t played the game yet, but having most recently played Megaman and Bass for GBA(which I once again ashamedly lost) it looks like a Mega-man game. The most legit complaint I’ve heard is about the framerate issues, I’ll likely give a try once that’s sorted out.