Latest frustrations with ranked

I mean… this just isn’t true, friend. Fulgore has some of the most reliable anti-air in the entire game. You can’t jump at him, almost ever.

It might be difficult for a blind player to DP on reaction to jump, but … that’s a different problem than what you are suggesting, I think.

I’m not sure what this would accomplish.

No, what the AI does has nothing to do with it. If you hand someone a controller for the first time and make them play against other human opponent, they will spend most of the match jumping. Why? Because jumping lets them move AND attack at the same time, and other beginner players don’t know how to counter it. If you take away their ability to jump, they won’t know what to do, so they’ll instead just randomly spam a special move without thought or reason (if they can even input special moves).

That’s really all there is to it. They jump because they don’t know what else to do, and jumping lets them attack while moving and dodging someone else’s moves. That’s why if you walk into jump range against any beginner player, they will, 99.999% of the time, immediately jump. Something triggers in their brain that this is the correct thing to do.

2 Likes

It just… sounds like you’re anti-airing incorrectly. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are DPing at bad ranges, or if you are DPing so late that they can land and block, that is the fault of the player.

But this give rise to a second question. How can we make it easier for other blind players to learn the ranges for anti-air without a way of getting everything set up correctly in practice mode? Believe me, I’d practice this if I could. But the lack of an accessible set of menu guides for many of the elements of the game means that the dojo and practice mode are near to useless (unless the setups and strategies you want to practice involve an opponent just standing there and taking the hits).

This is why I created the KICG in the first place, to collate such information together. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, those parts of the guide haven’t been covered yet even though they are rather urgently in need of at least being started.

I understand your conceptualisation about beginner players, but I’m going 2/3 sets with these guys so they can’t be beginners (unless of course it’s luck that they got into gold tier).

It’s not just jumping that’s the only problem though, it’s things that you’d, as you rightly say, respond to via visual cues, that are compounding this situation. Though what we can do to resolve that is anyone’s guess, probably waiting for a sequel might be a better idea as people might be less willing to complain that such modifications would make the game too easy for those without sight…

I’m kind of rambling here but I’m trying to make my points as clear as I can whilst doing so.

Also, I’ve hardly ever been able to use the DP as an anti-air really, only as a means to stuff the opponent on wakeup. In s2, the strategy I learnt, from this very forum I might add, was heavy lasers, fireballs and that was pretty much it for aa. Now that the heavy laser is gone I feel like I’m either forced to do one of several things:

1. Stop playing ranked for a while until it settles down.
  2. Not play ranked entirely, thus negating all the work I’ve put in so far and now allowing me to get my first platinum achievement (as it were).
  3. Find a new main with better options.
  4. Carry on trying to recruit to the KICG to get the guide finished and thus possibly develop my strategies based on work I can do after that.
  5. Find a different game that doesn’t have such an emphasis on air-based gameplay (Mira’s only compounded the concept that this might be a good idea).

I don’t want to quit the game, but the amount of frustration I’m feeling right now seems to be pushing me to make a decision soon but what that decision will be remains to be seen.

I’d suggest those saying “Fulgore has some of the most reliable anti-airs in the game” or that this should be fine/easy to deal with etc tries playing ranked with a blindfold on, no counterpicking. This, like the modifiers, will allow for a better understanding of not only what is experienced by a player with no sight when fighting an unfamiliar player and the frustration that comes with fighting them for a second time after not realising that it’s a 2/3 set, but also that the tactics take on a whole different quality when employed without being able to easily react as they might if you can see.

I don’t know how you would design a blind-friendly fighting game. It sounds extremely difficult to me, and the market for such a thing is pretty small I’m afraid. Reacting visually is one of the key tenets of fighting games, so if you take that out, I don’t know how you can design around it.

If all you’re looking for is someone to tell you what the different menu options are, that seems doable. But would it really help that much in setting up situations?

I think your definition of “beginner” is a little different than mine, so sorry for the confusion.

The thing is, I don’t know any sighted player who would intentionally play with the screen completely blacked out. Maybe it would make them respect blind players more, but if they wanted to do that, they could already do that; just close their eyes/blindfold themselves and try to play that way, and I’m sure they will immediately have respect for blind players. It doesn’t need to be programmed into the game, because nobody will use it.

Heavy laser was an exceptionally good (if slightly matchup-dependent) AA, it’s true. But… I dunno who told you it was “pretty much it” for AA. His DP has always been his best AA, because it is invincible, fast, and hits above his head, unlike heavy laser.

I sympathize with you that some of the S3 characters (Rash and Mira, maybe also Gargos kinda) like to approach from the air a lot. But S1 had Sadira and S2 had Cinder and Maya, so I don’t think it’s a S3-only thing. S3 also has some of the more grounded characters in the entire game, with Kim, Tusk and Arbiter all largely preferring grounded gameplay.

And this is the ultimate crux, friend. If you put a blindfold on me, I would be terrible at anti-airing with every character, Fulgore included. The truth value of my statement “Fulgore has very reliable anti-airs” is totally unrelated to this. As I’ve said numerous times now, I very much sympathize with your disability and you are a much better player than I would ever be in your position, but I like to talk about the game in absolute terms. If the opponent is in jump range, Fulgore has the tools to handle that situation.

The problem for a blind player is that anti-airing will just always be hard, no matter what character you pick. I don’t know how to solve that problem.

1 Like

Well, I do have a clip that might just show you the kinds of players that (once I’ve got their strategy figured out, I can beat, unless they get lucky). I had to go into 2 or 3 2/3 sets with this same player (I know this from an educated guess as it was the exact same strategy with the exact same character). He kept jumping and for the most part, I managed to either rush him with shadow blade dash and catch him there or dp him out of the next attack. ONce the match clips are available I@ll post them here too to show you the situations I dealt with.

I think even talking about it has helped a little, just in knowing that I am doing things right, just fighting opponents who are unfortunately, somehow, managing to defeat me with one of the simplest things in the entire game.

I have seen several of the youtubes you’ve posted to your channel, so I have a bit of an idea of the types of opponents you typically face. You’re welcome to post more and I’ll give them a look sometime, but I don’t really know how I can be of any help. Even just saying things like “take a look at 1:40, see how he jumps and you miss an anti-air?” won’t be of much help I think. And because most of my strategies in fighting games involve reacting to things visually, I think I’m probably the worst person to be offering meaningful advice anyway. I’d imagine a blind player has to play the game entirely differently, just doing repeated canned setups and trying to never let control of the match escape him.

Having menu options written out in a readable format is more helpful than no options at all. The guide already has a section started with menu options in, it needs updating though. Moreover, the Dojo lessons which were originally almost done, now need to be restarted due to circumstances beyond my and the original author of that section’s control.

These would help with practicing anti-air tech, with recaptures, with blocking even… There are numerous possibilities that a lot of people don’t think of that a good training mode can solve.

An audio only fighting game hasn’t really been tried yet but that’s be3cause the developers who might want to probably don’t have any experience with mainstream fighters at a good enough level to be able to code something equivalent to that. Therefore the best avenue to consider with regards to this would be to design a fighting game that uses mainstream concepts etc, with a mainstream developer, just leaving out the visual aspects which even with air combat could be done, given testers who are willing to provide constructive feedback for the betterment of the game.

I am well aware. He and I have actually played each other before. What he and the other players in the blind KI community are doing is both impressive and an achievement. However, a disability doesn’t give one a pass on attitude towards a loss.

1 Like

In terms of my attitude to a loss in exhibition, if I’m salty, just give me time to cool down and I’ll be fine, that’s pretty much the standard way of it.

But that’s off-topic. I’ve got clips of the thunder and glacius players, I’ll put those up probably today.

Agreed, but that’s not what I got from his initial post; he asked for matchup help, the salt came later.

I disagree, in terms of the setups at least I play the game based on what my opponent is doing, not just by setups. They come in to it, yes, with things like fireball mixups and all but sometimes you just hav to play on a purely reactionary/learning basis.

And I responded later in the thread. I have also played against him in a long set; I know how salty he can get from personal experience.

Fine, I’ll concede, I have not had the pleasure.