Kim wu is too low tier

Wait… huh? Lol

I’d love to see that! Honestly… I would.

Well a Japanese player just won KSB using Kim Wu. Doesn’t make her any easier to use, but it speaks directly to her “tier.” I can’t find the video but I will post it here if I ever do.

2 Likes

There were quite a few “low tier” characters being used and dominating. Very GGs

Can you point me to an archive on Twitch or you tube?

There’s a few bits of KI on this stream but it’s broken up and the sound and pictures aren’t the best.

Also FYI they ended the broadcast early with KI and started hosting the remainder on TeamSpooky channel. I can’t find anything on TeamSpooky channel archive though. Lots of Blaze and SF. :confused:

1 Like

Archive is this one:

From 1h20 and on.

Great Kim playing, with some neutral stuff really on point, very good dragon usafe and awesome footsies.

3 Likes

Definitely much better Kim Wu in japan than at NWM yesterday.
Sajam: “Why you no dragon kick floaty glacius!??”

3 Likes

Thank you couldn’the find it.

1 Like

Pretty good kim wu play going on for NWM top 8.

Lol at LCD in grand finals with Kim.

3 Likes

Funny thing is that he posted his work in the lab with Kim several weeks before on his own Twitch channel (around the time I interviewed him). Probably still in the archive.

Besides his set ups in practice mode, it also has online matches of him practicing Kim against real opponents.

He also plays every Sunday 12:30 pm Japan time on Twitch.

@Rolly2891 @BigBadAndy @DyingAlloy66626 @Skryba

3 Likes

It was a great set. LCD clearly has figured out a lot of stuff with Kim if he can make it to Grand Finals. We’ve had a couple big tournaments in the last couple of days and Kim making it to the end in both… Maybe not quite as underpowered as all that.

3 Likes

LCD played really good throughout NWM, IMO. He definitely doesn’t know the Cinder matchup, though, so many missed obvious breaks, and sooo many lockouts. He gave Bass the win, and bass wasn’t all that much on point compared to his usual play, IMO.

Either way, larry did some awesome work. Hopefully he’ll kinda (only kinda, 'cuz LCD) cool down on the whining for “■■■■ wu worst character” and actually keep up the solid stuff xD

3 Likes

YouTube link KSB Japan

@Quancro

4 Likes

That’s the LCD way. Lol

1 Like

Now this is what the ■■■■ I’m talking about now we got some translators for her style

Major respect for @CrazyLCD for sticking with Kim Wu and getting 2nd at NWM. 3-0 against Bass’ Spinal is incredible in itself. Whether she’s low tier or not, that was some solid play and a good showcase of what she’s capable.

2 Likes

It’s important, IMO, to not get too hung up on tournament results (both for and against your character). Fulgore isn’t a bad character because he isn’t winning tournaments, and Kim isn’t automatically top tier because she made grand finals in two tournaments this weekend.

The way to think about this type of thing is to analyze the character’s tools vs the rest of the cast. If the character does well in a tournament, look back at the footage and see how much of that type of play is sustainable over the long term. Are players going to get hit by Kim’s overhead regularly in 3 months? Probably not so much, so that’s a strike against the Kim play we saw this weekend. Are people going to get hit by AA dragon kicks more than they are now? I would hope so, which means that aspect of Kim’s game is probably stronger than we saw this weekend.

If you analyze the character’s tools and tournament matches this way, you can come up with a better opinion about buffs/nerfs than just looking at results and drawing conclusions.

That said, congrats to LCD for sticking it out and playing well.

12 Likes

This is, of course, very true and excellent advice. I do think that it’s notable, though, in the context of people’s arguments that Kim is the weakest character in the game and therefore (either implicitly or explicitly) not viable.

One of the things that’s hard to pick up in tournament footage is what the players were going for when they failed. For example, did Bass just miss his overhead blocks or was he trying to hit buttons or perform a move? When LCD got hit was he trying to do a dragon counter and missed it? Sometimes you can get a good idea based in the context but not always.

I am trying to pick up Kim just to see what it’s like. I think she is definitely an “expert level” character and certainly provides a fun contrast to Tusk. In my hands she seems reasonably competitive (ie losses are my fault not due to an obvious lack of options). I do think her SC needs to be improved, just in principle, and I would like to see her counter get slightly looser timing. Maybe just one or two more active frames, but right now it’s very challenging for me to execute consistently. Since this is her primary resource generator, and since dragon cancels are pretty critical for her, I would be grateful for this. Not sure how much this would impact the pros.