Killer Instincts Exposure

Me pls

2 Likes

DM me watcha got! Someone’s gotta start the hype train that’s why I made this lol

Someone’s gotta do some.advertising

11 Likes

Yeah someone posted that in the KI GAF thread. We all thought it was amazing.

1 Like

Hahha cheers bro! Glad I made it there to.

I’m not a gaffa but glad it was fsr enough reaching to make it hehe

1 Like

I’m surprised the devs haven’t been all over this asking to use the concept. This is a legit, attractive and unique console that would sell well.
On the other hand, every other game provided in bundles has been generally played by a lot more people than KI so it may not be as profitable which may be a concern, especially with the 1TB bit thrown in.

2 Likes

Good lord, that is beautiful!!! That is a freaking masterpiece. Great artwork and Graphic design . The box , the controller , the console , the season physical copies. I would pay lots of money for all of it . Lol

1 Like

Sorry, wait
 KI’s (arguably) two biggest competitors are struggling on PC (MK because of abandonment and SFV because of the same content stuff plaguing the opinions of console players) and somehow that means something other than a big opportunity for KI to make a grand entrance?

2 Likes

Ahhh I wish! Adam said he liked it.

I did it more for KI just to get eveyone excited and hyped got season 3

I’m thinking about doing more.

I’d buy a KI box in a heart beat

1 Like

Ah dude that really means allot! So pleased you like it.

Just gotta try getting the KI guys to make it now hahah.

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Didn’t MKX abandon the PC though because it was in such a horrible state that they opted to crush it completely? I could be wrong on that, but I could’ve sworn that was the case, at least from a public knowledge perspective.

As for SFV, that game’s had a torrent of bad press due to the way that it was released. I can only assume that’s had some effect on PC sales. I mean, from the PS4 sales alone, that game’s been a huge disappointment.

So I don’t know how much either of those specific examples are indicators of KI’s future success or failure. I mean that literally, I don’t know. I have no idea. Maybe the PC market helps and maybe it doesn’t. Hopefully it will.

As for advertising in general, I get that people want to see commercials, but I tend to think that the only reason why SFV even got a commercial was because it’s one of the few exclusives with any real name recognition that Sony’s had in quite a while. Has that commercial and all the exposure the game got helped sales? I’d say probably not.

Obviously, negative press and the condition the initial game arrived in had to have been a contributing factor in SFV’s low sales as well. But people seem to think that commercials are a sign of support, and if MS supports Halo and Gears that way, why not KI?

The fact of the matter is that a two plus year old digital only fighting game isn’t going to bring in the type of casual buys that necessitate spending that kind of money to advertise to a casual audience.

Instead, they’re trying to go after fighting game fans and Xbox One owners in a more targeted way. They always seem to have deals on characters and they’ve had KI as the Games with Gold game. They also get a decent amount of press when new characters are released. To me, that stuff is geared toward casuals and perhaps some of players that fell out of the game.

Everything else, from the stuff they do on this site, to the character streams, to everything they did with the KIWC, real boy Shago and the community fund for tourney pots, to a PC version, to the collectables etc is all geared toward the core audience.

Some seem to think that it’s MS, therefore they don’t need a budget. They can just throw money out there. I don’t think that good businesses become and remain good businesses by behaving this way. It’s all cost / benefit. You try and get the most by spending the least, but also by spending responsibly. It’s not nickel and diming or being cheap, it’s being smart.

Yes, I’d love to see a commercial too. I’d love to see KI go “toe to toe” with SF as Microsoft’s big exclusive fighting game, but there are many other factors at play here whether some of you want to acknowledge them or not.

1 Like

It does. You forget that KI is the one who evented that Season model for fighting games. The model that SFV is being trashed on. There def won’t be happy people that some characters will not be available day one and that the rumored “new story mode” won’t be on day one either. Also like I said, it won’t be on Steam so whatever the peak for SFV is, it will most likely be half or lower on the Windows Store. I don’t see how that is a big opportunity for KI when it shares the faults of SFV and has less exposure to potential costumers.

Here here @lago407 I’m pretty optimistic!

@CRIS178 I do share some of your reservations but I think all the things you stated put us in a good posstion.

Perfect net code and a large cast with headlining guests could be just what we need to egnight the PC community.

We know from torments that the xbox one exclusivty is hurting Kis install base so the PC can only help!

Let’s hope the PC gets fantastic reviews and it pushing our game a little more.

What’s clear though is this launch and the launch of season 3 is the MOST important so far.

1 Like

But there is a difference here;

1. ki is a better game it’s just played less
  2. It’s going to have 3 whole seasons of characters
  3. so far ki has more content than SF5 even in modes.
  4. The net code is gonna show all other games up

Plus ki doesn’t have the pressure of other fighting titles. I think expectations are lower and there for people will be surprised.

The main problem with sf5 is its cast imo. It’s just not that fun and it lacks staple characters has effected the way people see the DLC.

Same can be said about KI. Too a lot of people it’s a SF rip off with no names.

1. Yeah it’s a better game, but people who haven’t played it don’t know that. That’s where advertisements would come in but they are a no show so far and what people notice more about those character trailers are the looks. Kim Wu and Tusk have not been the best way too show off the game in terms of looks.

2. Currently there are 18 characters, 4 more on launch 22. There are 16 SFV character more launching monthly. Not much to brag about when they have nearly the same amount of characters.

3. I will give you this one. On launch KI will have more modes.

4. As much praise as the KI netcode gets, no casual player says “Oh my god, am going to play KI because it has the best Net Code”. Skull Girls would be more popular if people felt that way.

I agree, KI is a small game. Hopefully people won’t judge it as a AAA game or else its presentation and graphics will really upset people. Especially on PC where graphics mean almost everything.

I want to be positive but there isn’t much to say that KI has that will get people to try it over MK or SF. Not only that but there has been little to no marketing push for KI so far. I remember there being a ton of trailers for MKX. Fatality videos alone make up more than what KI has shown so far and the game is releasing this month.

1 Like

Sad but true. MK has the content, where as SF has the name recognition.

KI is quality, but brand is just too small at the moment. The good thing is that it is growing
albeit slowly.

They want us to do reaction vids and word of mouth but they have to be willing to advertise their ruddy game aswell.
The KI xbox looks glorious but again if it’s not 1 of the chosen few it’ll never get its own version.
MS has to put some shoving into a market push instead of wanting us to do it for them.
They have an awesome product, it’s own tournament and now toy line and unless your actively part of the community you wouldn’t know any of it existed.
They made it teen rated to appeal to more people but if no one knows it exists it should’ve been made mature with finishers.
I love this game but there’s only so much a community can do if the publisher isn’t willing to go the whole way

What’s “the whole way” to you though?

I mentioned in my (long winded) post above that I think they’re trying to spend wisely, as any business would. What would be better, in your mind, that they’re not doing, that would both help sell the product more and actually grow the base?

The KI xbox for a start? A proper ad, be it on the net, TV, satellite whatever.
We know they have a certain budget, but let’s be honest if MS had proper faith in KI they would have done some if not all of these things. They throw money at getting tomb raider for a year head start (tv ads and all), KI gets a small mention on xbox live.
They’re putting guest characters from other big franchises in to push the game. How about letting the game get on its own feet like the other titles did.
Nurture it, believe in it.
I know the franchise was dead for 20 years but brining it back could’ve been a huge thing for MS.
A proper 1st party title. Something which MS severely lacks.
I downloaded ori today. Again it’s an immense game but I came across it by accident. It should’ve been shouted about from the roof tops like KI.
KI is a free to play game a major selling point. It could be already preloaded on the system to try when you power it up outta the box.
Little things or big things to get it out there. Just something, I don’t want to see it dead for another 20 years.
I dunno if I’m getting my point across well

This is most likely incorrect. You can’t throw $100mil at a game and expect it to make a profit if the market just isn’t there for it. “Faith” alone doesn’t make a product sell.

The entire fighting game genre is unpopular. The biggest property in the market is Mortal Kombat, which has a lock on the “edgy gore game that breaks the rules of social decency and whips community groups into a frenzy” shtick (which in particular means that nobody else can profit off of this, despite countless others trying), and the huge push behind MKX managed to shift, what, 7 million units? CoD manages to shift 2-3 times that number per year. Recently we watched SFV bring itself undone with a spectacularly bad launch, but it seems like that game might not have even cracked a million units, and will fall well short of the expected 2 million that Capcom thought they’d shift by the end of March, whiich suggest that maybe SFIV was just a flash in the pan, and is particuarly telling considering this is ■■■■■■■ Street Fighter.

And you’re trying to say that they can just dial up the production on Killer Instinct, a lesser-known franchise from 20 years ago, and make a return on a budget even close to that of Halo? Please. They’re doing what they can, on a budget they can make a return on, to make the property, and even in a roundabout way the entire genre, appeal to a larger audience again. They’re producing a lot of impressive things in the process, too. In terms of pushing the game, I’m not sure there’s a lot I could reasonably expect them to do better.

1 Like

True, especially looking at SFV. SFV probably had a nice budget along with just an above average marketing campaign. I don’t think this SF had an extravagant budget because I never really saw ads for it unlike SF4. I clearly remember watching TV and then a SF4 commercial coming on and a really sick song playing “THIS IS WARR” it was hype.

Anyways, I think the biggest letdown of SF thus far for modern audiences is its Anime style. I don’t think Anime games do too well, unless you’re Naruto. People want mature games and want to be seen as a mature person. Which is why you see a ton of 10 year olds playing Halo and Gears of War. It’s why MKX is so popular, it’s mature and it has both mature audiences playing it as well as kids who shouldn’t be playing it. Deadpool is also signaling this trend, people want mature movies, as long as they are done right. MKX handles their style well and presents it professionally. Every decapitation, slice, bone break, is cool to watch and although it can alienate some people it is proven with 6 million people who purchased the game that there is an audience for it.

KI doesn’t need to have a million dollar budget, or even non stop ads. It needs to be able to sell itself. Currently it doesn’t do that. Looking at it from the outside KI look no different than SF and less interesting visually than MKX. Visually it just doesn’t have its own allure. It needs better presentation to the point where people watching gameplay of it say “Wow I’ve never seen that before”. Guilty Gear, although an Anime game, looks visually stunning and probably has a bigger following than KI if we look into tournament numbers. It’s mostly because of how amazing the game looks.

The new lighting helps but it’s not something that will stand out too many new players. The new shadow moves just look plain and boring. Some animations and faces need polishing. Unfortunately KI doesn’t have all of the things those bigger fighting games have and it isn’t able to sell itself on looks alone. Where KI excels at is by selling itself though physical gameplay. When people grab a hold of the controller and learn the mechanics, that’s when they are in. At least that’s how they got me 100%. 40% was the music and hype first reveal at E3.