Kilgore tech/strategy thread

@Rolly2891 Nope, y’all are correct, you have to be a little closer than fullscreen to actually connect it. From all the way out you have to buffer a linker off of H.Dash or use EX.Dash anyway. Hopefully once the EX.Dash bugs get sorted it’ll fill out a true fullscreen unbreakable Ultra confirm, but for now we have to give a breakpoint to get close enough.

Also, congrats to @Rolly2891 and @LeoFerreis having their tech from this thread highlighted (along w/ OGTY) on Shoryuken.com’s front page!

4 Likes

So what do you guys do to opponents who just block. I find it hard to face anyone that just crouch blocks. Once you overheat all you can really do is go in but it’s kind of painful against someone who is already blocking. No overhead moves or mobility often gets me punished for trying to get aggressive close range.

Only way kilgore can open people up that we know of right now is by grabbing or crossing people up with metal ball. However, metal ball is kind of character specific on crossing up and you need to be at exact ranges from opponents for it to cross-up. A little to close or to far and you’ll be punished.

If you have the meter you should exhaust and just zone with missiles more as they are kilgore’s only way to chip and deal damage from range.

Throw them? Also, his jump ins are still overheads, and he has shadow missile for lockdown. Mix up between jump in/empty low when they’re in blockstun.

2 Likes

Thanks, @BoJima404 actually messaged me to tell me this and I was shocked to say the least and a little freaked out. I’m not a “youtuber” or do these things for attention or recognition. I just put things on youtube that I think I may want to look back at in the future (xbox only holds so many vids) and others may be interested in.

@SlinGnBulletS Yeah, full screen was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, I was just initially shocked at how far you can actually confirm missiles and guns from. I too would much rather confirm with shadow dash than use exhaust and cool down missing out on the pd damage.

2 Likes

I think this is really more a matter of playstyle, and the value of either string will fluctuate moment to moment. Personally, I tend to try and structure a more risk-mitigated playstyle, so I would value the freeze and disjoint to work with in a pinch (if they try to invuln thru, for example), in addition to the expanded options (spacing dependent, of course). Moreover, I am not fond of the commitment to EX.Dash because of how punishable it is, even at range, in the case it gets blocked (apart from just how wonky it is at present). I don’t think that makes either necessarily incorrect, though, as each have their merits and can accomplish things the other cannot.

1 Like

The only time I am using ex. Dash is to either punish a fireball or confirm off of a st. Hp.

Welp…now I’m going to see if I can find any useful tech with his “teleport”.

I always completely forget about his teleport/phase out move, lol.

Same. I’m sure we can find a reason to use it. So far I’ve tested it against Jago’s fireballs and if you time it right you’ll go right through it. However, this is kind of a useless tool for that due to kilgore’s zoning beating out everyone else’s fireball.

I do know that while heated his teleport is a great “get off me” tool. As it causes an explosion on you while also making you invincible. Knocking the opponent a good bit. Instinct canceling into it is nasty and will get anyone off of you if your under pressure.

Keep in mind that jago and fulgore both have projectiles that trump all other projectiles–sometimes you’ll want to phase through and avoid having to block them.

dont know if it would last long enough to phase through jago’s ex fireball.

on a side note here is a short vid of all the metal ball set-ups that i found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTqjvlmLZA

all of those set-up/resets are generally 40-50% with no meter.

I’m referring to charged fireball and heavy laser.

Ok, so I now think Kilgore could become a monster ! His zoning is top notch, he has safe setups and when overheated he can get 40-50% 1-2 chance breaks from throw and grounded opener combos into juggle launcher with 1/2 meter. not to mention the OTG instinct cancel stuff. Look out for this character to become a beast when top players get his playstyle and execution down.

2 Likes

That and if kilgore gets a hard knockdown on you, he has plenty of set-up’s as well as some nasty resets.

its only a pity my execution is ■■■■ in the middle of a match. lol

Use heavy missiles as assist and get close.

The missiles will cover you, so the opponent can’t challenge your approach easily

But the Flicker is the best! It reminds me of Cody’s Dodge from Omega Edition. I’m not actually a fan of it during Heat, unless that explosion can be INSX’d. It knocks you out of Heat Gun range, and does real, lethal damage to Kilgore.

Be wary w/ grapplers & their ilk, as it isn’t throw invuln, not even during Heat.

I don’t like how the teleport is a hard knockdown on Kilgore.

2 Likes

Its probably due to the fact that if it didn’t hard knockdown the move itself would be kind of busted.

I only use the teleport in heat mode when I’m in serious trouble and I know it will punish a move. It also deals decent damage to your opponent.

Tested the “teleport” some more and found that if you get the timing down you can punish any slide, dash or charge ex or not. Note that you can use it to punish sabrewolfs ex ragged edge however it require specific timing and distance. So its better to just block it than take the risk.

I don’t think that’s a fact at all. If it didn’t make Kilgore suffer an HKD, then he and his opponent would both undergo the same techable KD. Most parries give the user frame advantage at a minimum; Kilgore’s Heat parry knocks him out of Heat Gun range while costing health and providing his opponent significant frame advantage to close the gap. It doesn’t do a remarkable amount of damage, so I’m not seeing how if Heat [3K] gave him an opportunity to quickstand it would be busted. It would, at best, still be pretty subpar for a parry in KI, and still worse than his cooled version. Maybe I’m misunderstanding something…? Why do you think it would be busted?

And, yeah, learning to use [3K] will take a lot of time, and will vary player to player. It’s not like Kim’s, or Hisako’s, or Arby’s - it has startup (12f*), and isn’t active for quite as long (9f*), so you can’t punish jabs or other quick-recovery moves with it, and you’ll have to be either scienced or eagle-eyed about your attempts to blow up pressure sequences.

* in-game frame data, needs frame-stepped confirmation (oh please let it be zero-frame!)

I feel like 90 percent of this thread is trying acrobatics before you can crawl. I main rash at 33. I cant do this high execution nonsense without the benefit of sheer muscle memory.

Lets talk basic neutral zoning and heat mechanics before we talk about double bar instinct unbreakables.