KI is “complete”

Sorry, I meant the original post in the thread. Didn’t mean the first comment on that post. My mistake. :slight_smile:

The way I see it:

Because of this. I think Andy’s spot on here.

@CausingThought6 They’ve already given soft notification that the game is complete. To tell us that they’re going to make a formal announcement of something would get fans hopes up, only to be dashed if the announcement was that support was ending. This is what happened with DOA5, and fans were not happy about it.

But let’s just say they didn’t go that route and they just posted on twitter or on Ultracombo. You’re still only reaching a fraction of your fans, so is it that important then, especially when you’ve already soft confirmed it on Twitter anyways?

Or let’s say that they announce this exactly the way you think it should be announced. I’m not sure what that is, but no problem. Either way…

That’s still a pretty big deal as far as I’m concerned. But regardless, it’s not just that trolls and jerks that’ll be angry. What other types of emotions would fans, troll and non-troll alike have? Sadness over the game ending? Confusion over why they’re choosing to end it? Disappointment over not getting more stuff?

Are any of those things good? Well no, not really. It’s generally not a good idea for developers or publishers to make their fans angry, sad, confused or disappointed. Even the more sensible fans… Which do you think will be the dominant emotion? Relief or happiness at their open honesty and having that sense of finality that they might already have, or one of the other four emotions I mentioned above?

To me, and this is more just my opinion, but the downsides of making such an announcement outweigh the upsides. It’s bad press. It’s bad news that you’re delivering when you don’t really have to. It’s telling players that you’re done with this game.

And let’s not short change the emphasis on that either. Some people get turned away when a developer declares a game “done.” Some people move on when they find out that a game is “dead,” whether it’s the tourney scene dying or the developer support. So why shrink a community that you’ve worked so hard to build up in the first place? What’s the upside of doing that?

If they’re developing a sequel, why not just wait and announce that? Give people good news? I get that it sucks not knowing. But I think we already know either from the lack of content coming out for months, or from the soft confirms that have come via twitter. So anyone that desperately needed to know probably knows, and anyone beyond that? Why give them bad news when you can just wait and give them good news? Why offer them the knowledge of finality when it only comes with negative emotions?

I guess it’s just hard to swallow the idea that it would be bad for the game when people have been telling me on these forums over and over again that the end of developer support doesn’t mean the game is dead. It seems a little hypocritical.

What I want is something like what LEGO Dimensions did. A small post on social media’s that gets picked up and reported on by news outlets. Nothing more.

Any of those downsides are possible. How possible? Who can say. Even if they didn’t all come to fruition for every single person, there’s still a chance that some would feel those things. So they’re downsides, and they far outweigh any possible upside of people knowing the game’s done and appreciating the dev’s honesty for telling them that. Surely you see this?

Also, and I could be wrong, but I think people are saying that developer support ending shouldn’t be the end of the game or that they don’t believe it should end the game. It’s a philosophical opinion. Some feel differently. Some might not take the news well or some might decide to move on to something else. Why push people away from your game when you don’t have to, especially if some of those people might’ve purchased some KI gold or another character or another season?

Why though? Keits called the game complete. I believe Adam did as well (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). If even the possible downsides outweigh the upside of doing something like this, then why would it make sense for them to do it? It kinda sounds like it’s just something that you want and all consequences for them be damned. Am I wrong?

4 Likes

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. And I have yet to hear you articulate any upside to making such an announcement. You dismiss the negative publicity that the announcement would bring but your only reason for wanting one is so that a small number of people don’t set unrealistic expectations and then get those hopes dashed. I’m sorry, but that’s not solid logic.

Edit: Besides that it’s “what you want,” please let me know the positive impact of the LEGO Dimensions announcement.

Edit2: you don’t know what hypocritical means. That’s saying one thing and doing another. Predicting that people will respond negatively to something that’s not bad news is not hypocritical.

This is the only one I can really respond too, but i’ll Do my best. Like KI, the LEGO Dimensions community was one wher speculation and ideas for the future of the product was common. It was also one where the end was very much apparent despite no official word. And just like KI, there were people who obtusely refuse to believe that despite the evidence (a substantial removal of in game data via patch, release of future packs being Stretched out to meet Christmas, a lack of communication from the dev team, and the team seemingly moving on to other unrelated projects). The only thing the announcement did was allow people to temper their expectations and prime their wallets. The speculation and hope for future content could end (allowing people to stop wasting their time and speculate on sequels or other projects), and people could finally do something with all of the cash they were saving up for future packs that weren’t coming (those things were freakin expensive. I know, I bought every one of them)

KI is in the exact same situation. People still believe that more content is coming for the game despite direct proof. Undoubtedly causing unending speculation and requests, as well as causing people to save up money for future seasons that aren’t happening (KI seasons are expensive too). What the announcement would do is let us finally move on. People can move the speculation and requests in the direction the world is actually going in, and rearrange there finances so they aren’t holding on to their “S4 budget” when it could be spent elsewhere. And that announcement isn’t going to stop people from playing. If they think a game is fun then they still will. And I think it’s safe to say that with how long the DE has been out, a majority of its sails have already been made. It’s probably not going to affect that. Just like what happened with LEGO Dimensions. How about we learn from another very similar community/dev team up that went through a very similar incedent. And stop keeping people’s hopes up for no reason.

1 Like

Are people really refusing to believe this anymore? I don’t see a ton of people around here at least refusing to believe that this KI is complete, especially when Keits and Adam both used that very word.

Again, I’m not seeing a lot of people on here at least, talking about how they’re still saving their money and waiting for an answer on this game. Are you seeing this? Is this a common theme on twitter or in stream chats and I’m just not seeing it?

Okay, when you use the phrase “people still believe” then that implies that this is somewhat of a mass opinion and I’m going to challenge you on that and see if you have anything to back this up with. Has anyone posted articles anywhere or talked about how they believe more content is on the way? Do the people in the Facebook group think more stuff is coming in significant numbers?

I’m just trying to figure out where you’re getting this from, because I’ve seen enough people talk about “we” and “people” and what not and try to portray their own opinion as the opinion of a majority or even a large group of people, so please tell me where you’re getting this info from, if you wouldn’t mind.

Again, this sounds like pure speculation on your part. Are people doing this in large numbers? Do you have anything beyond “a few of my friends” or some sort of anecdotal evidence to back this up?

Now, before you say that I don’t have evidence of that an announcement could be a bad thing, please note that I used the DOA announcement as an example while still indicating that each and every downside I listed was potential (ie speculative).

Really, I tend to think that many have already. I say that because this forum isn’t as crowded as it used to be, and there’s not nearly as many speculative posts about season 4 or post seasonal content as their used to be. If that’s too anecdotal, then I’m sure many saw what Keits and Adam posted on twitter as far as the game being complete.

I dunno… I posted a “what would you like from a KI sequel” thread so… :slight_smile:

Again, speculation. Sure, most people that don’t go to tournaments are going to play and not play regardless of whether the game has new content on the horizon, but it could still hurt the tourney scene, if only a little bit.

Sure, but not all of the possible sales. The game is still able to make more money via in-game transactions and content is still available for people to complete their collection of seasons. Even if the sum total amount of money they could still make off the game is only $5, why would they put out an announcement and jeopardize making that money? To make an announcement that no one really needs?

There’s also another similar community in the same genre; the Dead or Alive community. You keep looking at the community that was okay with not having further content and ignoring the one that wasn’t okay with how things ended. Even if there’s only a one percent chance of it going the way of the latter, then why bother?

While it might help a few people move on, I still think that the potential is there for some people to feel angry, disappointed, sad, cheated, whatever. I mean, look at the comments in this thread. You still have people saying “I won’t consider the game complete until XYZ happens.” I’ve read every comment in this thread and I see some people that are disappointed. So yeah, I think bad things, bad feelings, bad vibes, whatever you want to call it, could come from them making some big announcement. I think that’s far more possible then people saying “okay, thanks!” and just moving on with their lives and their wallets.

I dunno man… I don’t know what I can say to convince you that the possible downsides outweigh the possible upsides. You seem to want a sense of finality that’s really already there given the tweets from Keits and Adam, even if it means that a larger announcement would likely disappoint people and create a negative situation and I just don’t understand why you’d feel that way.

But, you’re entitled to your opinion. I respectfully disagree with you, but that’s okay. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While I would be a fan of hearing a definitive “This KI is done” announcement several people ITT have brought up many valid points as to why this is something that would have little upside. Just from what the developers have said I feel like it is safe to say that they are done adding on to this game, which is absolutely fine. I play still game for like an hour or two a day and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future or until another KI comes out.

The only thing that is disappointing to me about a new iteration is that I’ve enjoyed playing with the guest characters and would hate to see them not be included as well. I guess I’ll have to find someone else to stab guts and stomp nuts with I suppose.

2 Likes

Arguments?

I’m just stating on this topic that KI had a good run and I was not surprised that they stopped doing anything else with it. Unless of course they give us news on what they are doing with KI.

Or to simply put.

If KI is complete I’m not surprised. As far as I can tell, it is likely. Unless otherwise has been said.

I don’t know how to respond to this other than telling you that you’re probably right. And don’t misunderstand me, the LEGO Dimensions community hates that the game is over too, and there’s literally an infinite amount of ways they could expand on that game. People are never fine with a game ending. But companies should not get to artificially extend a products lifespan like that. If you asked someone who actually knows if KI is done or not, reguardless of the fact that it clearly is, they would still probably give you a non-answer. If they even answer at all. Some random quote that doesn’t equate to anything. That’s because saying yes would be lying, but saying no would “hurt sales”. Doing stuff like that is sleazy. And I think that when a game is built to be a platform, and that platform expires, the people who use it should be informed openly and honestly.

1 Like

When did they discontinue the ‘meld’? I just noticed recently it’s not in the game.

The issue I have is that Shadow Lords, for most if not all, isn’t fully playable without either good quality OCR and a computer capable of running the game, or large amounts of sighted assistance from a dedicated player of the game.

I understand the mode has been good for those who can play it, but as I’m just trying to get into it now to test out greyscale and OCR and how well they work together, trying to get assistance with how the mode works is a little frustrating as the original SL topic is almost dead and most players have already unlocked astral plane or at least finished the mode.

I just think if the next game/update/whatever has an ambitious mode like SL that either it should be accessible to gamers without sight out of the box, or that the story elements included should be vague whereas arcade can give worthwhile rewards of endings that actually all fit together into this cohesive picture/narrative.

Hope I’m making sense.

To be honest I’m extremely happy that the game is finished/complete/whatever you may call it. This finally allows for everything to be found with every character and start looking for stuff without hoping the devs come in and “fix” something about a character’s perceived strengths/weaknesses.

The tools are all finally out there for us to start really finding new things in the game what with the frame data finally completed and more!

2 Likes