Is KI getting "TOO" Dark?

I’ve been avoiding this thread since it was created because I erroneously believed that this was another 1 of those “is the game too violent?” kind of threads, and I didn’t want to take part in it. The fact that the thread only had a few replies helped support this mistaken belief. Only this morning, when I woke up and saw it again, did I realize what the subject line may actually have meant - and it appears that my realization was true.

Sadly, now that I know what the thread is actually about, I don’t really have anything to contribute towards the subject (yet). I don’t take a lot of stock in screenshots or video, as they can often distort things, even to an unusually bad degree. So, I’m going to wait until S3 releases, where I can see it for myself, on my own TV, with its own settings 1st, and then (and only then) I’ll give you my (then) educated opinion on the subject. Until that time, however, I thought it prudent to let you know that I think that you’re rather (and no offense intended) terrible at thread titles. :wink:

I have had issues throughout season Two seeing Omen clearly against certain backgrounds. Am I the only one?

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I’m saying a bit.

This isnt about light vs dark its about just being able to clearly see the characters in all stages.

making the characters lighter was merely a suggestion to making them “Pop” out more so they dont blend in so much to the background.

Also seeing on your tv/monitor is different then seeing it on twitch for sure. I’ve witness this firsthand with other games.

But again my concern with this is KI is also a spectator sport. It’s great that the 2 people playing can see fine but what about the viewers watching on twitch with crappy bitrate? From what I’ve seen so far there’s been some dark stages combined with dark characters blending in a bit to making it hard to see.

I ask people to at least keep an eye on this during the livestream today. I will be taking some screenshots to really show what I mean.

I will be looking for this today during the livestream.

The lighting is wayyyy better than before on Sadira’s stage you can see so much more of her stage background now it looks more realistic now

Alright so watching the Stream for a couple hours. I have to say my concerns seem unfounded. Almost all stages I could clearly see the characters and in most cases its actually an improvement over S2. Some stages with the new lighting look amazing.

The one stage im still having a bit of trouble with though is Arbiters stage. He just blends into the background to much in my opinion. And I took a couple screen shots to show this.

As you can see in some cases you really have to strain your eyes to see because Arbiters and Kan Ra color are both dullish brown so they’re blending into the background to much. .

you also have to take in account that you are watching a stream it might not look like that when playing own our own tv

I am watching Keits stream right now.

To be honest, the new lightning looks a bit weird. I’m not sure it was worth it.

The art style of the characters was more in tune with the old lightning, this one is too realistic. I don’t know how to explain it.

The new lightning system works good for the stages, but for the characters… not sure about it.

Orchid’s stage looks great with the new system, and Fulgore too. But Thunder’s doesn’t, for example. Aganos stage looks weird also.

1 Like

True but also keep in mind this is what people will be seeing when they watch EVO or any other live competitive tournament.

If you want to have a vibrant competitive scene it also needs to be very clear to the viewers tuning in and watching on twitch.

Too dark? Judging by Keits’ stream, it’s gotten too bright. What happened to the deep shadows that gave the game a distinctive look?

2 Likes

Looks like Sadiras stage has a glow on everything I kinda liked the darker stage but oh well

Still looks good!

play this on acid… you’ll want bright, vibrant colors :laughing: