Instead of a 2D plane

What do you guys think of KI as 3D area to fight in? Yes I know the directional inputs wouldn’t work, so obviously controls will have to change. Like instead of Jago doing an Endokuken by pressing D, DF, F + punch he would do an Endokuken by simply pressing a button (this is just an example, don’t flip out at me.)

It would also make engagement difficult. How am I supposed to beat someone up if the spend the entire time round around the arena? People do that enough as it is and it’s annoying.

You can also move around too. Make your opponent hard to hit you. Not the other way around.

You can do it like Tekken, Soul Calibur, or the 3D Mortal Kombats. Diagonal inputs work just fine with Tekken.

I can understand that some people appreciate 3D fighters, and there’s a reason for games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, DoA, and Virtua Fighter to have the success they do, but most games that start as a 2D platform should stay that way. Street Fighter tried the transition to 3D long ago during the PS1 and PS2 eras, and it didn’t seem to work out so well.

Adding to that, I like 2D fighters. I can not stand 3D fighters at all, and if KI went 3D, I’d drop it in an instant. It just wouldn’t seem like the same game to me. Plus the gameplay of KI is too far predicated on the principles of 2D fighters that if you did try it in a 3D plane, you would lose a lot of what is KI’s fundamental identity.

4 Likes

This is important. The two styles, while technically in the same genre, play vastly differently and attract different crowds. I’ve got a friend that much prefers 3D fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur, while I prefer the 2D plane.
There are franchises that do #D fighting very well, and I think they should be the ones to be the bastions of it. Killer Instinct does 2D fighting outstandlingly well, so let’s keep it catering to its strengths.

#No thanks.

3D fighting games have always seemed a little to gimmicky to me, KI is in a good place.

Wow. No.

Hell no. I got tired of Soul Calibar and Tekken because of this. It’s difficult to aim and space yourself when the camera’s always changing.

Hence why I prefer 2D style fighting games.

Nope. If it became 3d, they would need to add moves for sides and behind moves. To be honest, I don’t even notice Tekken is 3d most of the time. The only time I DP notice is when both players side step at the same time and the screen moves. 3d SF and 3d MK we’re not liked. Most players don’t like when a 2d fighting games changes to a 3d.

God no. Let the 3D Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats be a lesson to all in what NOT to do. There is a good reason both series went back to being 2D and especially for MK this has brought them back into both old and new fans good graces. MK9 was widely considered the best MK since MK2/3 by fans on the MK forums BECAUSE they corrected the mistake of the 3D era and went back to old school. MKX just built on that and arguably either equaled or improved upon it depending on which fan you ask. Don’t make the mistake of going 3D with KI. Lol.

1 Like

This would have to be a very, very different game. There are good 3D fighters that are essentially 2D with some movement outside the plane (Tekken) and there are super 3D arena type games (Pokken) as well as some that are kind of in between (Soul Calibur). Anything could be done and done well. But it would be very different than this game.