Im worried that S3 wont have the uniqueness of S2

exactly this and the reason i say this post is literally click bait imo

I think itā€™s a fair point, even if @DANECKBRE4KER canā€™t quite put it into words. Kan Ra, Hisako, Aganos, Omen and Aria are brand new and form more than half the cast of Season 2. They had a huge impact on the overall game and S2 could certainly be characterized as a combination of reimagined favorites and totally new designs.

Granted there are some assumptions involved, but it looks like S3 will give us the rest of the old roster, setting aside debate about Gargos and Eyedol and whether or not they are in the game or even count as ā€œreturningā€ characters given their status as broken boss characters from the first two games. Then we will see a healthy number of guests that may be awesome in their own right, but are not new KI characters, wholly invented for the game. Unless we imagine a bigger roster it seems like there will be fewer original characters. Is this a problem? Probably not, but itā€™s worthy of a thread for discussion without people freaking out.

So, will S3 have a different feel than S2? I think clearly the answer is yes. Thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing. Will there be less originality? This is debatable. I think the guest characters offer a great deal of originality in terms of their fighting mechanics, if not their visual style and character design - which have been pulled from other games. Plus the overall changes in game play will change the game quite a bit. And finally, we may still get 1-3 original characters for the season. These might have a big impact. We will just have to wait and see.

For sure there was a lot of fun involved in the new character reveals in S2, and I expect less of that for S3. Probably fewer totally new and surprising characters like Aria and Aganos. But I think this is part of the games development through time and not something to be worried about.

You know what I love? They picked the 3 newcomers of KI2 (Maya, Kim Wu and Tusk) that, letā€™s be honest, were very generic and bland back in KI2 time, and tuned them into original, full-of-personality, unique characters, Kudos for IG for doing that.

yes. They old cast are characters we know already. And the guests we didnā€™t know who it was gonna be but they are characters that we know already from other games. A sibling from s2 cant be something too crazy, we know hat to expect there without knowing whos sibling it is. If we get a vampire it wont be such a surprise either (everyone seems to be sure about that one). And it leaves room for 1 or 2 characters.

Im not saying the game is dead. Nobody is more hyped than me. Jesus. I regret doing this thread.

No I hear ya. I guess I was more speaking to the general apprehension a lot of people seem to be feeling, and while I know that yours is more direct (ie, worry that the roster doesnā€™t seem like itā€™ll be surprising), I think it tends to speak to the larger issue I was addressing.

But more to your point, as far as character design and the ones we think we already know about or can reasonably assume, I donā€™t know if Iā€™d go that far just yet, though I donā€™t think that your apprehension is entirely unfounded. I get where youā€™re coming from.

I just think that, if anything, throwing the whole ā€œthree stagesā€ thing in there really tells us that we have no idea what to expect from this season.

Sure, we could get another guest, a shadow character, a vampire, a sibling or any number of ideas that seem kinda obvious, but IGā€™s never really gone the obvious route so far. A ghost? A golem? A mummy? People werenā€™t really expecting those. Also, we just assume 8 or 9 characters. What if itā€™s 12, and what if none of them are who we think they are? If IG has a history of surprising us, it stands to reason that they at least have the ability to do so again.

If anything, I think weā€™re in more of a position to be surprised than we were in season 2. Back then, we knew we were getting TJ, Maya, Riptor and Cinder and we got them. But we had no idea about the other four or five.

Now we know Rash (who Iā€™d argue was a surprise a the time), Arbiter, Kim Wu, Tusk and we think we can assume others. So if they actually do go against our expectations and we get, I dunnoā€¦ A zombie or an Ultratech mad scientist or a guest that no one has talked about, I think thatā€™d be even more surprising since it goes against what weā€™re expecting to see, whereas last season, we really had no expectations.

You get what im saying. Im not saying it is a problem but apparently some guys are really upset about me saying that. I was just making an observation I wanted to discuss.

Like I said in OP, guests are surprises initially but nevertheless they are characters we know. Rash was suggested on the old forums and a lot of people suggested the arbiter when guests were announced. Its still a surprise but only initially. On the other hand, would I ever imagina something like kan ra, hisako or aganos? No.

Please explain that to me. Explain to me what reason a person would have to do a click bait title in a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  forum. What does a person gain through clicks on a videogame forum?

Sorry for the triple post. Im on mobile and Edge has some serious problems with this (and other) websites.

True. You make a good point. I think the surprise with guests is seeing whether they have what weā€™d expect them to have and how those specific things are used, plus the other stuff that we donā€™t necessarily expect and overall how they play.

Now, is that as good of a surprise as a completely brand new character that we know nothing about and have no expectations for as far as moves, backstory, etc? Iā€™d say probably not, but I probably donā€™t think itā€™s as much of a downgrade in that category as you might.

Plus the tradeoff for me is knowing that there are people that will be genuinely excited to play these guests and might even get in to KI specifically because of them, though Iā€™ll concede thatā€™s probably of little comfort to most of us beyond the enjoyment of having more fun characters to use.

I donā€™t mean to sound like Iā€™m arguing with you. Iā€™m not. Iā€™m apprehensive about this season because we simply have no idea what weā€™ll get. I really kind of think that all bets are off after the stage announcement.

You seem to think that there are some fairly easy assumptions that can be drawn as far as the roster goes and for me, Iā€™m still optimistic because of how little we know at this point about where they plan to go with this season. Iā€™m not entirely convinced that we can safely assume anything. Thatā€™s all I was really getting at, but if you disagree, no problem. :slightly_smiling:

What are you talking about? Itā€™s not like he said ā€œsuper secret issue the devs do NOT want you to know about!ā€ Thatā€™s click bait.

Heā€™s worried that season 3 wonā€™t have the uniqueness of season 2 and he explained why.

1 Like

why worry about somthing if you know your still going to play it regardless

unexpected would of been better worded instead of unique

Iā€™m pretty sure the new characters archetypes will be quite unique without a doubt. The one that I really want to see in action is tusk. I want to see what kind of ā€œhybridtypeā€ the evil genius combat director at IG came up with. Back stance Sword character straight out of Soul Caliber. Keits please!

If that isnā€™t cool enough we now have the ā€œflip outā€ mechanic to satisy SF heads and the target strings to satisfy MKheads, And those anime shennanigans and archetypes all thrown into the mix. Unique would be an understatement in my opinion.

Maybe itā€™s just me but thats what draws me to KI, The hybrid anime/traditional fuse it has going. You basically have character archetypes from multiple subgenres all thrown into one harmonious and nutty melting pot and it works so damn well. Basically you can come from any fighting game and find a character that makes sense and you like.

Season 2 was supposed to be entirely ā€œnewā€.

Season 1 was: "Here is KI, rebooted"
Season 2 was: "Here is KI, if it were newly made in this generation"
Season 3 will be: ā€œHere is SUPER KI, Which is regular KI, but with Expansions to EVERY aspect of the game.ā€

They are improving EVERYTHING they have done so far, and i think it is a good idea. KI is now a HUGE game for its value, so instead of making even more of the same thing, they are adding EVEN MORE value to the already great features it has.

I expect new game modes, story, Ranked, Lobbies, Visuals, Shadows Mode, All while STILL getting more characters and music.

KI has been so centered on new characters, that now the fans cant imagine any thing else.

I feel like i am the only one excited to see the OTHER things we will be getting.

1 Like

Turns out i was never so right!

1 Like

Agreed. Season 3 was less than unique. Hopefully Season 4 will be better, if that ever happens.

I kinda disagree on S3 not being unique. I would say it was not surprising roster-wise. We knew it was best time to finally get Gargos and rest of OG cast. Guests also were expected. But I gotta say S3 characters have some unique fighting mechanics, this is the highest point of this Season.

Altough Eyedol speculations were stirring quite a bit.

1 Like

I did say that gameplay would be unique to each one though. Its really just that there was no surprise really.

In terms of play style S3 has some strong characters that do reasonably well in tournaments i.e Gargos and Arbiter but I agree in terms of uniqueness S2 hands down achieves this. It just had such an edgy and fresh feel to the roster. In fact it was seeing the new characters in S2 that convinced me to buy an XB1 to get KI.