How to block?

Pick a direction and just make your peace with it. A lot of stuff in this game is like that to be honest. Eyedol’s nearly impossible to track when meteors and lightning and s%*^ are raining down, so blocking him isn’t realistically feasible in a lot of situations.

While a compelling case could be made that IG (and DH too, actually) use or overuse that design philosophy, Eyedol doesn’t fall under it. He has meterless reversals in both stances, and one of them falls under the “true DP with a silly hitbox” category. Eyedol is many things, but he’s manifestly not free on wakeup - especially if he’s in his warrior stance.

And yeah @FallofSeraphs76, if Eyedol’s command grabbing you repeatedly, you’ll need to hold up or command grab him back. Or DP him, but he’s so plus after the grab that the window for that is pretty tight.

2 Likes

Yeah I figured it out after he got me with it a few times. Up and DP works…but if you are Mage, your only option is jump up. I was Mage most of the time. Command grab back doesn’t work as warrior.

Now the lightening bolt triple stagger…why arent those triple staggers breakable across the stagger cast?

Lightning is a projectile. No breaks. Long recovery though, and if they’re tripling it without an Instinct cancel, they lose out on damage and a free charge w teleport. Either way, worst case is like 17% no cashout (without INSX cancel). It’s annoying, but it doesn’t seem so bad, at least to me.

Just my thoughts on it.

Opinion: Mage is hella underwhelming compared to Warrior.

1 Like

Yeah its annoying alright…reason why is if you get hit with light bolt its guaranteed ot get 2 more afterwards and a soft knock down.

I agree. I’m just pointing out the upside to taking 3 bolts is it tells you they dont know much about the character yet, and can give you a little confidence to push forward. Small boosts of confidence midmatch can make an enormous difference to ones mental state in said match, and can help to keep your cool and find the gaps. Noticing when your opponent is doing stuff because they don’t know better things helps with that.

Of course, he is less than a week wild. So it’s hard to play both as and against him, we’re all still learning. But 3 bolts likely gave you more meter than the damage was worth. And it told you that they likely don’t have another follow-up to bolt aside from “just keep doing it”.

Based on all the Eyedols I keep fighting this seems to be true. As soon as they get mage form they just start punching themselves to get back into warrior. Hardly anyone actually tries to fighting using Mage form, it’s just run away into punch punch punch.

1 Like

Don’t play a lot online, but similar experience. As Eyedol, I try to keep ready for the transition to Mage (amazing how often I get it in juggles) so I can safely get to an annoying range, and try to maintain something like an obstacle course w meteors and L/M Bolt that I can confirm into a teleport and repeat until switch, so I have jump cancels stocked. The tricky part is setting up meteors kinda requires a read on their fullscreen wakeup habits and movements, as f.3K teleport leaves them essentially in-between M and H meteor (perhaps even untouched if they don’t move, character depending). There’s also meatyish EX Meteor to lock down and go for a (maybe - EX Meteor is still an overhead, yes?) unblockable L Bolt>L Bolt>f.3K.

So far though, that’s about the extent of my plan… need to work out how to effectively utilize Stomp, aside from cr.LPxx interrupts.

I think it will be pivotal for Eyedol players to emphasize on transition preparation and not having to rely on face-punch. Mage should be able to build switch chance plenty on it’s own, as his projectile link combos provide 2+ switch chances on their own, and just playing keepaway will do so for you as well - it’s not like you won’t get another chance at Warrior if you go Mage, y’know? While the “random” factor does dictate that it is possible to be stuck Mage for a whole match (face-punch notwithstanding), and I have spent so far one entire match as Warrior; this is incredibly unlikely.

And to further speak on the random factor, it can’t actually be flat out random. There is an algorithm, albeit probably too complicated to call anything other than random, perhaps with RNG-derived variables (amount of switch gained from face-punch is practically direct evidence). That fact won’t ever really help us in any concrete way, but knowing this is the case and endeavoring to understand it a bit more can help us to “feel it out”, as it were.

Or goons could break in and break it down for us, but I don’t condone it. Don’t do that goons. I don’t wanna see numbers. I wanna feel out operational tendencies.

PS: I have no idea how this helps @Sasuke99I block. Sorry.

Does Instinct revert to Warrior by default?

Sort of, yes. He uses Warriors buttons and movement, with Mage other stuff overlaid (no rod normals). Bolt actually seems a little delayed, as it fires on the second strike of Clobber, but the perceived delay could be just an impression and not a fact. Not much experience in the frame-stepping business.

EDIT: Or do you mean when INSX ends? Because if so, I wanna say yes, but I can’t say with 100% certainty. Thus far, I do not remember ending an INSX in Mage.

No. I mean when instinct runs out. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Edited original post while you were typing.

I got Ninja’d lol.

IS THAT WHAT NINJA’D MEANS!?

I am so bad at the Internet.

1 Like

Actually, his b.MP still works (his mage command normal that reaches nearly full screen) while in instinct, as does his teleport for rage charges.

Yeah, by Mage stuff I meant command normals and specials, should’ve made that a bit clearer. Good lookin’ out!

As it should be. Low risk= low reward. Good design choice.

1 Like

alll i can say about eyedol is…jumping FP. in warrior stance

1 Like

Pull it out quickly. Ha ha ha ha ha

1 Like

I have never hit myself to switch back in a online match. I know this is sad, but do enough ground and air lighting and you will switch back fairly quick. Most times for me it is five lighting strikes, and it does not matter if they hit or not.