How does the promotion match work?

So after I don’t know how many months of grinding my way through gold (and only gold) to make it to killer, I finally made it to my promotion match and got shot down multiple times and now I’m not sure there’s any way to take that final step, because I’m sure the game is matching me up with characters I have no clue how to fight, are a bad matchup for my main, or are just plain top tier players that a lowly scrublord like me could never take on.

And so I ask: when matchmaking for a promotion match, does the game match you with not only a player of the same rank or higher, but is skilled at characters you statistically fail against just to up the challenge of the match?

Any help would be well appreciated.

have your headset in and tell them it’s your promotion match and ask them to let you win.

if they Killer League, they’ve been there before, and more often than not will give you a win.

"You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same "

Cheers.

2 Likes

Really? I always thought the select menu told your opponent that it was a promotion match.

I know S1 used to do it.

I’m sure if I did tell them such, they would just laugh and tell me to earn it, much like I’d expect people here to end up saying.

IDK, I mean I never played a single Aganos or TJ the whole way through, yet that’s exactly who I fought during the promotion matches.

There aren’t really that many meanie weenies here on the forums as far as I’ve seen, stick around a while and see. :slight_smile:

Haha, if anyone said that to me, I would definitely play extra mean. No point in having ranks if you’re just gonna let people go to the top without putting in the work.

I know, it’s just so much easier for people to jump in with the “git gud” line.

If I could I would. I mean, I’ve never trained with anyone in a lobby so matchup knowledge is solely from ranked/single player modes.

My thoughts exactly.

Not looking for a gimmie, just need a few things cleared up about the matchmaking.

If that fails, I’d take whatever training I can get.

Add me, we can play some time. I’ve only been in ranked a total of around 3 - 5 times at the most, the last of which being an afternoon’s grind from Silver to Gold, then I quit ranked so I’m not sure how much further I could have gotten, I’m sure I will try at some point in the future.

I’m trying to get matches with whoever I can that’s on a similar level or better than me, because it’s literally the only way you can learn, I think I’ve definitely made some improvements, though. :grinning:

1 Like

Cool. PM me your GT and I’ll do that.

I can definitely teach you about the Aganos matchup. Right now actually, if you’re interested… :wink:

I would be grateful for that.

1 Like

No, as far as I can tell.

Any Devs able to step in and clarify?

@IronGalaxy
@Delriach
@TheKeits

So I just played my 4th promotion match and who does it match me with?

GutterMagic

Are you F’ing serious?

So that’s another grinding sessions before I face my next Killer God and go through this all over again.

FML

2 Likes

Well if you can’t beat GutterMagic, you aren’t good enough to promote yet.

3 Likes

He’s been a tourney finalist.

Surely there are less impressive people it can match me with. It just seemed way too convenient.

I hate to say it, but both times I got promoted into killer, I fought silvers…

It all comes down to luck of the draw, I guess.

1 Like

There may be hope for me if I can get past master

My first match as a Gold was vs a very salty Killer, I remember being happy about it and thinking “I’ll just sit on those ranked points until next time.”

I haven’t been back since, but I kind of wish that all my opposition in Gold is like that, haha.

@Sanguithal you just must have the worst luck ever. :frowning:

Pfft, I should be so lucky.

I’m not looking for an easy promotion, despite my recent rants here, I just don’t want to play only bad matchups or top level players.

I would also like some form of clarification regarding the OP, if it isn’t too much to ask.