Hellblade

I’m a big fan of Ninja Theory.
They created Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, and developed DmC: Devil May Cry, and I adore all of these games! I love their cinematic stories and style in these games.

And they are making a new game called Hellblade!
This is the latest trailer:

1 Like

Oh Snap :open_mouth:

Seems Intense! I’m interested! I’ve played all those games! I’m excited actually.

I really love Enslaved because it was a futuristic take on the old story “Journey to the West”

which is one reason why I like Sun Wukong in Smite. Lol :slight_smile:

Too bad not much is known about a xbox version. Loved Enslaved :grin: It was quite unique.

I have been following this game development. The story, environment, character and sound design are really good. Hopefully the gameplay will be interesting as well.

1 Like

Time to revive this thread now with the newest AND latest Hellblade article this time focusing on as well as talking/discussing about the upcoming game’s new heroine AND main character/protagonist, Senua:

1 Like

All-new official Hellblade trailer AND screenshots

This looks better and better.

1 Like

The more I see about this game, the more I want a DmC sequel…

1 Like

This isn’t really a review, but it takes a good look at what Hellblade is as a game.

Have you played this yet? I have to admit, I’ve never really played any of Ninja Theory’s games for more than a few minutes. Nothing against them, by any means. Just seems to be how’s been for me. I played about five minutes of Heavenly Sword, but I’ve always meant to play more. I’ve always meant to play Enslaved, as some seem to consider it a cult classic of sorts.

But without knowing a ton about Hellblade, I have to admit that I’m intrigued. It seems like a rather unique experience. I’ve read that it’s even better to play with headphones on. I’m assuming it’s out now? I’ve seen some review scores ranging around 8 or 9, though admittedly not many.

Hellblade is nothing like anything NT have made before. It’s a completely unique experience.

While Heavenly Sword, Enslaved and DmC were all hack’n slash action games, Hellblade is more an interactive experience. It DOES have some slashing action in it, but it’s not the main focus of the game.

If you can play this with some good headphones on, then I’d recommend that, as there are sounds and voices almost all the time that really makes the experience.

2 Likes

So it’s not really a hack n slash action title? Huh. I just assumed it was. I’m trying not to know TOO much about the game because what little I know does make it seem intriguing, but just so I know for sure… You think this is a good game? Would you say it’s any better or worse than their other games? I know it’s different, as you’ve said, but I’m just curious how much you’ve enjoyed it thus far.

It kinda has the same feel as the new God of War is going to have, and which Dead Space also had.

But it’s unique through it’s storytelling which is played out through Senua’s eyes, who is a woman with a severe psychosis. Hence why playing it through with headphones on is recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, man! I might have to pick this one up. Sounds really interesting.

1 Like

In fact, according to Ninja Theory one of the main components of Hellblade that the development team deals with/touches on is the theme/issue of mental illness in the game as experienced through the eyes AND ears of Senua, am I correct?

Yeah, and they made sure to represent it as real as possible, having had help from several experts on psychosis and skizophrenia.

1 Like

Now speaking about Senua, she is essentially a Norse warrior, yes?

She is a Celtic warrior, but the Northmen (vikings) are the villains.

1 Like

The headphones definitely pimp this out to 11. As mentioned, you are hearing voices, narration and whispers pretty much all the time, so the headphones really make all that stand out. Not to mention all the cool and creepy environmental sounds, which are top notch too.

I’m a couple of hours in. Loving it so far.

Definitely not a hack and slash. It’s pretty slow paced. Some people are even calling it a walking simulator! Which is kind of accurate. There are moderately long walking sections (with narration, story happening all throughout, so it’s NOT boring or tedious, at least not yet for me), with combat sections/boss battles interjected at important points.

I’m liking the combination so far.

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha and whoops, my honest mistake too :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That explains the facepaint Senua has on her as I learned as well as understand that Celtic warriors would apply facepaints on themselves before going/heading off into battle.

Also is the setting of Hellblade, does Hellblade take place in Britain or Ireland?