Having issues with XHDD on XB1

I’ve been having an issue with my external HDD I use for my XB1 (3tb WD Mybook usb3.0, for reference). It was working fine up until around the last update, and now it acts like the XB1 will barely acknowledge that it’s there. Any game on it simply will not boot up, which is pretty much all my XB1 games save for KI. I’ve looked into seeing if the recent update might have caused issues but I haven’t found anything. I’ve hooked it up to my PC, and while it will acknowledge it’s hooked up I can’t access the drive, but I’m guessing that’s because of the XB1’s use of it, though I could be wrong. I’ve done everything I can think of short of trying to format it and redownload everything on it (glad I don’t have a data cap). Has anyone else had a similar issue or perhaps knows what to do to get it running? I would like avoid formatting it if I can keep from it, but so far I’m stumped.

Ugh. That sounds awful and expectedly weird. I have a 4tb WD hard drive connected to my Xbox one and although there is some weirdness every once in a while I haven’t had any problems as a result of the latest update.

In the past when I’ve moved the HDD between cboxes or taken it to use at a friends house (which was the big selling point for external drives when the box launched) its always been a little persnickety but unplugging it and plugging it back in a few times usually works.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

Well, Something different happened. I guess trying to mess with it on my PC changed enough to make the XB1 not recognize any of the data on it, so it just gave me the option of treating it as a standard media drive (movies, music, etc.) and formatting it for use with games & apps. So I ended up formatting it after all. It seemed to do the trick though. Unfortunately it had about 30 XB1 games on it, and now I have to re-download them all. Like I said before, at least my internet service doesn’t have a data cap. :confused:

1 Like