HALLOWEEN HYPE Thread Revived! šŸ‘»

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

SMHL5u9

20171003_011052

2 Likes

You know whatā€™s scarier than Pennywise the Dancing Clown?
How badly the people on Tumblr want to ā€œhonk his hornā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I canā€™t wait to get down and celebrate some spookiness!

4 Likes

Anyone have any good movie recommendations for Halloween? I tend to like the eerie / spookier / haunted house / Halloween monster type stuff as opposed to the torture pron or silly gore fests from the 80ā€™s. Been watching either the Crow, Sleepy Hollow or Crimson Peak around Halloween for the last several years and Iā€™m trying to find something new.

Any suggestions?

How was the new season? I loved the original, but Iā€™ve been hoarding the new season on my DVR like a hoarding hoarder that hoards things because I know that once Iā€™ve seen it, there likely wonā€™t be any more (stupid reason, I know).

1 Like

My girlfriend and I have some pretty good finds.

-The Witch. A colonial American family isolated in the back country dealing with the usual problems of rural life: hunting for game, dealing with sickness, and slowly being torn asunder by either satanic shenanigans or their own cabin fever.

-Splinter. Akin to John Carpenterā€™s The Thing (a must watch) in that thereā€™s an isolated group of people trapped with an alien organism that contorts and infects their bodies in hideous ways

-Man VS. A survival show host goes out into the woods on his own to film the next season of his documentary, but as the days go on it seems thereā€™s something besides his camera watching him and learning his survival tricks

• The Void. A small town cop and some other small town folks are trapped by a cult and some spooky, gory, interdimensional beasties

-ABCā€™s of Death 1/2. A pair of anthology films with directors from around the world. Some shorts are hit and miss, but theyā€™re generally really weird and entertaining.

-Abattoir. Thereā€™s a murder mystery to solve. Not to solve the murders, but to solve why the rooms where the murders happened are all missing from the houses

-Zombeavers. A gloriously dumb little flick about zombie beavers. Full of cheese

Ah I was curious about that one back when it came out, but never got around to watching it. So you enjoyed it? Iā€™ll have to check it out. Thanks!

Iā€™ve seen The Thing a few times and I agree that itā€™s a must watch. They psychology of the movie alone is worth the viewing IMO. I havenā€™t heard of Splinter before, but Iā€™ll check it out!

ROFL. That sounds amazing. And bad. Amazingly bad haha! :grin:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, man! Much appreciated.

1 Like

I really would hate to spoil it for you, but it scratches an itch thatā€™s needed scratching for a long time, not to say too much but the ending is either incredibly frustrating, or sets up nicely for another series (please) though Iā€™ve seen certain people say itā€™s fine to end where it does because that would also be very Lynch-esque. Itā€™s great to watch if you simply want to soak up some Lynchian atmosphere and have your heart-cockles warmed by most of the wonderfully weird original Peaks cast, as a Twin Peaks and a Lynch fan, I would recommend it.

Firstly Iā€™m gonna echo what @Fwufikins says about The Witch, fantastic movie if you want something away from the typical Hollywood gore fest, thoroughly enjoyed the underlying quiet, eerie underlying madness running through this movie, perfect for the Halloween atmosphere.

Secondly Iā€™m going to have to recommend It Follows as one of the most original, spooky and paranoia-inducing movies Iā€™ve seen in a long, long time, it was like watching someoneā€™s fever dream unfold in movie form, 2 of the gifs I posted above are from it.

Orphan - being one of the most original (and shocking) ā€œspooky childrenā€ movies Iā€™ve ever seen, itā€™s a movie that often springs to mind when people ask me about good horror, no haunted houses or ghost children, but plenty of tense, scary atmosphere.

Mama - Really, REALLY good ghost story, great visuals. EDIT:- Iā€™ve just been invited to a game so Iā€™ll come back and edit the rest of this later :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually REALLY good to know. I mean, Iā€™m going to enjoy it regardless, but somehow knowing that the ending could possibly be less than complete (by my own standards) is something Iā€™m glad Iā€™d know going in, so thanks!

Awesome! Good to know. I absolutely loved Twin Peaks, thought Lost Highway was fantastic, but didnā€™t really get in to Mulholland Drive as much, so Iā€™d say that I like Lynch for the most part. Still havenā€™t seen Blue Velvet or Eraserhead for some strange reason.

Oh wow, yeah thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for! Really glad both you and @Fwufikins brought this one up now. Iā€™ll definitely check it out.

Is this what I guess one would call the sort of haunting STD type movie? Am I getting that right or am I confusing it with a different movie? Definitely like spooky and paranoia-inducing flicks, so I might have to give this one a go.

Oh ā– ā– ā– ā– , the last two look creepy as hell lol. Creepy kid movies alwaysā€¦ Wellā€¦ Creep me out :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!! If you or anyone else have any more, by all means send them my way plz!

Yeah, thatā€™s the one! Iā€™m honestly wishing Iā€™d saved that for Halloween as itā€™s honestly the best horror movie Iā€™ve seen in years. :slight_smile:

You must! Itā€™s an interesting experience and even (weirdly) inspired some scenes from Silent Hill 2!

Also the V/H/S franchise (well, the first 2 at least) is really good throwaway fun junk with some nice visuals that I think comes in a perfect neat little package for Halloween as itā€™s basically a whole horror anthology within 2 films, the short stories cover a lot of ground and manage to scratch a lot of itches. (haunted houses, zombies, alien abductions, serial killers, even a succubus!) Theyā€™re a fun watch and the found footage style adds a new perspective onto things that have been done before, great popcorn stuff!

Suspiria is another one of my favourites of all time, with itā€™s gaudy and beautiful death scenes and supernatural uneasiness, the whole thing is just gorgeous to look at and caused me to then go on and watch almost everything Dario Argento has touched, for better or worse.

If I think of anything else Iā€™ll edit one of my two posts and do let us know what you choose to go with, Iā€™m at a bit of a loss with what to watch myself this year, though It may be a given.

@NitricZenith @Iago407 Hey I just remembered another film I wholeheartedly recommend.

Itā€™s a Japanese film called Tag. Iā€™m not going ot say much except that it is absolutely BATSHIT CRAZY and that it feels like every single scene has a twist. Also, thereā€™s a pretty crazy amount of on screen violence, even for horror. Definitely recommended for anyone who likes freaky and weird!

I just watched the ā€œtrailer?ā€ Though it may well have just been one scene from the movie, it reminded me of the opening of Suicide Circle but ramped up a bit more on the ā€œinexplicable crazyā€ vibes, wat even? Might be worth a looksie, though. :joy:

Aha! Itā€™s Shion Sono! I knew it had something to do with that crazy bā€™stard!

Wow, itā€™s THAT good!? No kidding. Iā€™ll definitely have to check it out then. I tried looking for The Witch over the weekend and couldnā€™t find it on-demand, but for some reason didnā€™t think to check Netflix or Prime, so Iā€™ll do that when I get home tonight. That oneā€™s currently at the top of my list. Looks really cool!

Really? I had no idea. LOVED Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2, so that makes me a lot more interested. Blue Velvet has always been one of those that Iā€™ve meant to see, so maybe I should finally get going on that. :slight_smile:

V/H/S? I canā€™t say Iā€™ve heard of that. Iā€™ll have to look in to it. Sounds cool!

Iā€™ve heard of this one, but donā€™t know much about it. Has Dario Argento done anything else that youā€™d recommend as well?

Thanks again for the recommendations! Canā€™t wait to check some of these out!

When you say ā€œcrazy amount of screen violence,ā€ are we talking Eli Roth levels? More? I donā€™t know why, that stuff never used to bother me until I saw Hostel, and now Iā€™m all stupid squeamish about it. I mean, obviously I expect to see some violence and gore in horror movies, no doubt. But Iā€™m not as in to the torture pron type stuff, so Iā€™m just curious.

Either way, thanks for the recommendation!!

Itā€™s not so much torture prn as it is just a huge amount of it. Youā€™ll see what I mean when/if you watch it

1 Like

Alright cool, that I can deal with. Thanks!

i think im going to watch Creepshow tonight, how long can you hold your breath?

tumblr_lk5w6jo8LZ1qaxhu1o1_500

3 Likes

Iā€™m disappointed more of you havenā€™t been posting here.
Ah well. I can fix that
FB_IMG_1508300111589

3 Likes

2ou4cHZ

8npsi947trrz

1 Like

You know what? Here, have some cursed images because there hasnā€™t been enough posts in the Halloween thread so you all deserve to be cursed.

IMG_20171020_092159IMG_20171020_092254

4 Likes

ā€¦

4 Likes