Guess breaking: the hell?

Wow, this thread blew up a bit more than I expected. Yeah, we all guess break. I guess (hopefully intelligently) when playing against an unfamiliar character. But I don’t go for the first frame before I see any animation, sound, or rhythm to go off of.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I’ll definitely try going into linkers after openers more often. Resets are tricky for me to do intentionally. Mostly it is the faulty shoulder button on my controller, which makes me look way more bad ■■■ than I actually am until I drop my combo or ender.

@Infilament, I’ve been glued to your site since I discovered it when I started playing the PC release. It’s an amazing site.

not even man. it’s closer to 50/50. if your talking about new players? sure 33.3 percent chance guess break. but let’s be real here. heavy ADs are an easy break so I’m not even counting those. I personally choose to break heavies early or the last possible frame. to avoId CB bait.

but serious man. it’s closer to 60/40 when you factor in an educated guess or reads. I’ve even noticed lots of people mash that medium more often than not cause lights are just so predictable. as such lets just say 70/30.

I’ll throw out a CB attempt at random just to let other players know I don’t give 2 f uks about your reads, I’ll pop that shizz. :wink::heart:

Is that before or after you lose the match?

That’s not an accurate statement. As long as he doesn’t throw it out willy nilly it’s a sound mind game strategy.

I understand what you are saying. When I guess break I think about the following things.

1. The default controller setup. The default for heavies is the bumpers, and most people will use face buttons over bumpers and triggers, because of how they hold the controller.

2. Most people want to end the match as fast as they can, or are looking for big combo numbers. That means lots of heavy openers, or medium if they use default settings.

3. Alot of players only use lights when they are broken repeatedly, unless they are just a good player to start.

Now that I have typed all this. I don’t feel I ever guess break.

you wanna exhibition and find out?
Setting the president of how I’m going to play early in the match is half the mind game. weather or not I play that way is up to you to figure out.

you must be a boring player then buddy

He wont play you with his Aria, she isnt ready. But if you do end up playing Id like to watch please :slight_smile:

I play Sadira also. I mean, the concept isn’t new. I just decided to poke some fun at it.

Follow up:

I’ve had a chance to hop back online and play in Exhibition after about a month. Lots of rust, but I just played a long set against this Silver-ranked player. He was actually solid in the neutral, but the guess breaking! I probably could have counter broke on EVERY combo, but I didn’t. I still got more counter breakers than in any set I’ve every played.

But geeze, you would have thought after twelve or so matches he would have caught on.

1 Like

Some people (myself included) take a lot longer to start learning/recognizing auto double animations… I have been playing since the end of December and there are a TON of characters that I can’t reliably break lol I still get lockouts when fighting against Spinal, the character I main and see in action more than any other character in the game (literally every single time I play KI)

its ok man, i been on this game for 3 years and i still cant differentiate some AD’s and linkers from others haha. especially thunder, im just like “HE KEEPS SPINNING WTFFFF” lol

now as for guess breakers, i just counter break after they guess on me a few times successfully. or ill drop the combo and watch them mash out an attack which ill catch with hisako’s vengeance and more often than not, because they’re mashing they eat a lock out from the start and then begins the torment with her hard knockdown ender. other players on here have given valuable tips, opener to linker, using the same strength, etc

1 Like

Thunder gives me trouble too. The only time I can reliably break him is when I see the headbutt which I know is a heavy other than that I am pretty much guessing lol

I know this is kind of off topic but while it’s on my mind, do you guys happen to know how long each lock out lasts exactly? And when you do a successful counter breaker, are they locked out for a short time or can they still break right away as soon as your start your combo?

Pretty sure strength and timing lockouts are three seconds. Counterbreaks are a four second lockout, no breaking until the timer’s over.

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

1 Like

No worries, glad to help!