Growing the Community: Combo Assist Mode Discussion

You still need the inputs in neutral.

The hypothetical point of these inputs, once you get beyond “making the game harder” and “hiding system mechanics from new players so that old players can feel cool with their inside knowledge” is to allow for new and interesting things to be done by the player. So, for example, if you just attached one move to each button for a six button game you would have six moves. That actually seemed like a heck of a lot back in the SF2 days. I remember EGM had a whole huge blowout issue with a thumbnail frame of each character doing each and every move they could do. Each guy had a whole page and I stared at it for hours because I was a nerd. Anyway…

Once you use up all the buttons, you add crouch, jump and maybe even forward and back. But you may still want additional moves. So you need a different recognizable button. Or, you could go to a 12 button layout.

There have been experiments on removing these inputs. Divekick by IG is an obvious one. Rising Thunder is another. It uses six buttons, three for normal and three for specials. It’s a good game - certainly good enough and deep enough as a fighter to validate the control scheme.

The point is that, within KI during a combo there is really no reason to require those motion inputs to hit linkers other than to keep the moves connected to the similarly animated (but mechanically unrelated) moves in the neutral. You don’t have 24 options at any given time during the combo. You are really just picking the strength of your linker and deciding whether or not to do an ender. So, to be honest, if it wasn’t for historic reasons or for keeping up the linkages to the neutral moves, combo assist probably IS fundamentally a better control mechanic than the unassisted combo.

This guy could benefit from CAM if he played KI. Im not making fun…this dude is amazing!

1 Like

That couldn’t be further from the truth. There are many moves that CAM does not do for you. This will become especially relevant come S3 with many characters getting the flip out mechanic. When you’re playing a character who has 4 enders and you can only use 2 in CAM. So you have your damage ender and Battery ender, but no wallsplat or juggle. I find that pretty significant and easily a reason to learn the various inputs.

WOW. DUDE That is amazing! I LOVE people who play regardless of disabilities. This guy is amazing. Hopefully KI can be that game where everyone can play.

1 Like

I hope he brings his own controller…LOL…jus saying! I had to wipe the pizza grease off the controllers at the game stop tournament…ugh it was so gross… 1 guy had pizza still hanging in his mouth while playing …nasty assss mofos

2 Likes

LMAO WHAT? :laughing:

That’s funny. Greasy Controllers don’t sound good. Eww. You should have taken that tourney! Next Time.

If i had known those few moves I know I would have won… i look back now and Im like why? why didnt i know those 3 moves fucccccckkkkkkkkk!

Is that a can of salt on the edge of his wheel chair? wth???lol

It seems like it. He might need it for something. LOL Practice in SFV. Who knows, there might be another tournament, and you can fight Greasy Pizza Guy again and dominate everyone. But first, the MKXL Tourney.

1 Like

WHOA! I was like be “What the?!?!” Broly is really never give up! I remember someone had short arm and play KI at KI World Cup. I’m right?

I remember that. The person was actually pretty decent.

1 Like

It is debatable if it is simpler. Holding back for combo traits are certainly not easier and accidental enders and unsafe openers are a thing.

I was thinking we give 10 percent more damage to players who have combo assist turned off.

I’m trying to get a campaign going where people who have combo assist disabled get 10 percent extra damage. What do you think of that idea?

This is not a good idea.

There’s no reason CAM needs to be counter-balanced with anything given IG’s season 3 changes.

3 Likes

Only just saw this.

It made me lol – people aren’t putting in the time to practice. They’re hitting the execution barrier, giving up, and going back to CoD or something, before they can figure out what the game is all about. It’s basically been this way for over a decade, the move of mainstream gaming to analog-controlled 3D games hasn’t helped, and it’s a negative feedback loop as people bouncing off of fighting games makes them less familiar with D-pads and whatnot, which makes them bounce harder off of fighting games. This genre has none of the prominence required to be able to demand large amounts of dedication from an outsider and still have any reasonable chance of on-boarding said outsider.

2 Likes

What about a 1 percent or .1 percent increase? Some kind of carrot to learn how to play without combo assist? I agree ten percent is a bit much.

I have to disagree with you there. The combo system is the main reason I like Killer Instinct.

You may like and enjoy the combo system but it isn’t what is required of you to win a game. The game is deeper than that

The “combo system” is great and it’s what everyone enjoys. What’s up for debate is the role of trivial motions like QCF within the combo system.

So you want to give veterans who already have an edge an even greater edge?