Growing the Community: Combo Assist Mode Discussion

If there’s one thing that bugs me is CAM letting you do ultras. Get hit by a random wind kick or whatever, bam instant ultra. Idk how everyone else feels about this, but I’m of the opinion ultras must be inputted manually. CAM already holds you by the hand in many ways. ultras are a big part of KI and is a staple. I think the rookies should strive to perform an ultra entirely on their own without any assistance.

They’re not all that hard, and it’s immensely rewarding when you pull it off. Just pressing the CAM input for the ultra really diminishes it. Doing it without help will boost a players confidence, they’ll feel like hey, if I can do an ultra, I can do a sword linker. I can do a ragged edge, I can dragon punch.

I’m considering turning CAM on just for Ultra assist, honestly - I have a major problem where my QCF ultra as Thunder often triggers as Sammamish - meaning I miss the ultra opportunity. I think it’s due to Negative Edge (or whatever it’s called) but for some reason I just have a lot of trouble. I can Tripleaxe without a problem… go figure.

Not really. After about the 1000th ultra it loses some of its satisfaction :smirk:

Nah, it’s not a negative edge issue, as negative edge only applies to actual buttons as far as I know. As we discussed in our long set the other day, it’s probably catching a forward input right before your ultra, and forward->qcf is a shoryu motion. I recommend just trying to calm your inputs down a bit - force yourself to slow down and be more deliberate when you get your opener to get rid of unwanted inputs like that.

I feel like you just made a pretty compelling argument in favour of combo assist. See, I couldn’t handle the struggle (and the parental nagging) to learn to drive in a manual, so I got my licence in an auto, and then just had manual cars for the next few years which I adapted to very quickly. In fact, I’d say learning in a manual is just incorrect and has nothing going for it, based on my experience.

I actually think @TactixKill has hit the nail on the head with his analogy. People have spent 50 years trying to make arguments about gas mileage and efficiency, but the truth is there is nothing better about a modern manual transmission, especially when compared to the many automatic transmissions that will still let you downshift on command without a clutch. A manual transmission is just aesthetics. Hey, I still like driving a manual for fun. But that’s all it is.

If you can have a simple and effective control scheme that still allows the player a high degree of control over the character, then there is NO POINT to more complex controls. It’s an unrelated physical challenge that has nothing to do with the game’s strategy. It would be like requiring poker players to demonstrate that they can do pull ups before they can raise. It’s pointless and it excludes a lot of potentially great poker players.

you’re a seasoned veteran. im talking about people just starting the game :smirk:

I totally agree, but when I made this same post a month ago I got ripped anew one on here. So your lucky this thread has died down. Im fine with it now since my son is having so much fun with it (he is now playing as Aria and kicking ass)
But everyone’s argument here is that you would have been ultrad anyway with a random windkick into Ultra in high level play…so whats the difference? Well to me the difference is for a new comer…its really not that high level if they dont have to do any of the motions.

It is kind of convenient and it does bring consistency to the game…but I dont use it.

I WISH MK X HAD A COMBO ASSIST!!! LOL…I FREAKING NEED IT!

rewarding for a new comer… not someone thats played 1,000 matches…so yes , really

Can’t remember the language used to address your objections, but yeah, people not bothering to respond due to fatigue having hammered the point to death several times a few weeks ago is probably a thing.

I guess what we’re saying is that it doesn’t really have to be. Feel free to switch on the ultra assist, I won’t complain. I’m even thinking about using it myself, because I find myself fighting the pad for my ultra inputs and it’s pretty unpleasant. (Or I might get an Elite just so I can put 3P and 3K on the back paddles.)

I have an Elite controller…you will not like the back pedals…way to sensitive for a fighting game.

I could care less about CAM anymore…I’m just responding to Stormriders objection to Ultra assist. Use it all you want… fine with me.

I may eventually buy one if the price isn’t so exorbitant, but don’t currently own one.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you checked the Xbox Accessories app? Supposedly you can use that to customize a lot of stuff about the controller, maybe that will help the sensitivity issue?

Thank you. You got my point

Yeah, its cool but i don’t find it very useful. You can adjust the stick sensitivity to a few preset wave forms…kind of like preset stereo EQs. The paddles in the back are not extra buttons…they are the same 4 buttons up front…you can just put them in the back. Honestly I dont think its worth the price. Its durable and I like the taller sticks…the optional Dpad Diamond plate thing is really cool too.

i dont like the fact that the back plat battery cover is different than a regular controller back plat. I cant put my rechargeable battery back plate on. SO i have to remove the plate and charge it with out the back plate and then put it back on once off the charger.

If MKX had combo assist, Kung Lao would be played by EVERYONE. LOL No Mercy and massive chip in the corner. :smiling_imp:

RIP Everyone else :dizzy_face:

I just dont see how those pro guys get there thumb to move that fast! Have you seen the Kombat class videos? How the hell does that guys thumb move that fast? its crazy!

BTW 6 new players added to the beta…Lui Kang being one of them…Im about to go play on my lunch break!

Can’t put LB and LT on them?

You can always get a Scuf controller, which you can set everything you want on them.

That you can do…but what im saying is its just a repeat button…its not an extra button that isnt already assigned. Out of the box its default is X,Y, A,B. I tried wit with MK X and I kept accidentally hitting the paddles and I was all Ffd up! I took them of immediately.
I may play around with it again tonight since Im back on the MK kick …maybe I can get LB assigned to a paddle to help with enhanced throw combos

Edit: nvm
I just saw the new button shortcuts for shadow counter and instinct activation. That addresses what I was asking about in terms of button config options.
Thanks!

Did i hear ultras aren’t just one button anymore?