Group of spectators didn't think Riptor's moves looked savage enough. (Talon Rake move identified as the offender.)

Yes sorry, old school jargon.

You’ve been playing the game for years, but not long enough to know that by super-linkers I mean shadow moves during a combo. Or shadow-linkers? I don’t know what they’re calling them these days. But it’s the direct description of their function, and that’s what they were called in K.I.2.

And yes, by 4-hit enders I mean level 4 enders… they all hit 4 times in both K.I. 1 and K.I. 2.

There were even 5-hit enders in K.I. 2. You had to perform all 4 of your character’s enders in one match, and when you input a certain command, you’d get a super cool 5-hit ender.

Although now that you mention it, I think… not sure… but some lvl.4 combo enders hit more than 4 times in this game?

Also, I agree with you, Riptor looks very cool overall. No one even complained of the extendable tail hahaha, but yeah, it’s a bit cheesy…

And it’s cool, I don’t mind the drama here. There should be more discussion in these forums anyway.

It may have been a bit pre-mature because I hadn’t even identified that the real problem was that the Talon Rake move just didn’t look so deadly. More like Riptor jumping into mommy’s arms.

I don’t play her, just putting it out there. I love this game series in its entirety.

[quote=“VeganOrganism, post:41, topic:9863”]
There should be more discussion in these forums anyway.
[/quote]What!? I’m on here nearly every day and find more than enough discussion around these forums to last me for hours at a time!

How is this even a problem? If anything, it’s merely an opinion. Nobody’s even seen a living, breathing velociraptor anyways to truly know how it would look leaping through the air with claws extended anyways. All we have is clever assumptions thanks to science and what we see in the movies - and that’s not even accounting for the fact that she’s part cyborg. That being said, IMO the only thing they could really do to make it look different (read, as in not necessarily better, just different) is by having her flail her arms and legs as she leaps through the air, and doing that I think kind of ruins the whole aspect of her being a “precision” killing machine of sorts. If you want something real to relate to, rather than fiction, try this: have you ever seen a cat leap at someone’s face? I certainly have. Their legs are absolutely straight and unmoving during the leap itself ready to dig their claws in and their mouth is wide open ready to bite where it hurts. It’s only once they get a hold of you that they go ham (and turn your face into it too). I know this, because my grandmother had a devil-kitten that tortured her so much that we had to put the little guy down.

I think I understand what OP is getting at. The life of any game is dependent on the amount of people playing it. If KI is to keep going, we need more people to take interest in it and play the game. If this group of people walked by, saw the game and said, “meh,” that’s a bad sign. Sure, it’s a single group of people, but what makes them different from anyone else?

I agree that there should be a little more to the attacks. A little extra VFX to the hits wouldn’t hurt. They recently added extra effects to ARIA when she hits the opponent and they’re a nice little touch to the character.

2 Likes

So, what should IG do with this feedback? Like what specifically would these people like to see? Feedback can be a valuable thing, certainly, but maybe you could ask these people to be a bit more specific on their likes, dislikes and actual preferences? Like if Riptor doesn’t seem to be enough of this or that, what might some people want to improve upon that and make the character better?

I’m also curious if there was any other feedback on other characters? I get a general “they liked other characters” vibe from your posts, but what specifically hit well with people besides Jago’s laser sword?

I’m only asking because if you do seem to get a good number of casuals and fighting game fans to drop in and play, it might be nice to hear what else they think, for better or worse.

Let me just give you one quick piece of advice and feel free to listen or not.

When you present the opinion first, followed by a group of people being the originators of said opinion that they all seem to agree upon and you present it in that order, you’re going to raise some red flags with people.

Why? Because a lot of the people you’ve been hearing from in this thread are regulars, many of whom were around when Double Helix was making this game. In other words, they’ve been around the block enough times to have seen people use the argumentum ad populum approach when requesting changes or presenting an opinion.

So instead of someone saying “I think Sadira looks too much like a Mortal Kombat character,” some people would concoct some scenario whereby they magically managed to come across a greater number of people who had an oddly specific opinion and then run with that, so it became “I took a poll at this party I was at where they were playing KI and everyone, like 40 people in all, that played, thought Sadira belonged more in a Mortal Kombat game.”

As if one person using a large number was so much more valuable and attention-worthy as it pertains to the developers and thus more likely to cause an actual response like “well this guy on the Internet spent a whole night talking to people at a party and they all said the same thing. Maybe we really should reconsider redesigning Sadira.”

Now I’m not making any assumptions on what other people thought regarding your original post and I’m also not making any assumption about you or your age diverse group of beach going fighting game semi-enthusiasts that remember KI, but if you’re trying to figure out why there’s been a less than favorable response to your feedback, the fact that people have seen the large group concensus report used a good deal and it can sound very disingenuous because of this.

I know that has nothing to do with you, but it’s possible that a little blow back could come from this. Personally, I think someone with a sort of makeshift focus group could be interesting to hear from, so like I said earlier, if you get any more feedback from people, please feel free to share.

1 Like

What you are saying is simply that the ‘regulars’ couldn’t tell the difference between an ‘argumentum ad populum approach’ and a genuine post.

Ah well, such is life. It doesn’t bother me. They still helped me to solve the problem.

Good thing I have other posts saying how I only really like Jago. It makes their assumptions stay assumptions.

If the truth didn’t have visible signs, the world would be a dark place.

Thanks for the support.

You too, thanks for the support.

You have an eye for perfection.

Dude, I don’t mean to condescend, really, but this is the internet. We’re all living behind screen names and we have no idea who is being honest and who’s not.

So when someone comes to this board and says “yeah I showed off KI to a good cross section of people on the beach that are also fighting game fans and they all thought this” can you understand why people might at least be hesitant? It has nothing to do with not being capable enough to tell the difference between the truth and a lie and everything to do with the fact that experience and the obvious anonymity of the internet make it nearly impossible from a sheer logistical standpoint.

I mentioned the people that were regulars because many of us have been around for so long and we’ve seen a lot of posts that tend toward argumentum ad polulum so those types of posts, where a story with tons of people all thinking the same thing can make people a bit weary.

That’s not taking a shot at anyone else either. I’m not insulting the intelligence of any regulars around here and I’m definitely not calling you a liar. I’m just saying that people have good reason to raise an eyebrow and perhaps be a little defensive when they see posts with situations like this. So maybe take that in to consideration when you talk about taking our feedback back to those people and what not and consider the whole picture.

I mean… Does the truth have real, visible signs on the internet? I’m not saying you have to prove your story factual by any means, but as I said, history and experience can make even the most trusting people weary.

Also, and I suppose it’s completely up to you regardless, but you didn’t answer any of my questions. I was hoping hear your thoughts. See below: [quote=“Iago407, post:44, topic:9863”]
So, what should IG do with this feedback? Like what specifically would these people like to see? Feedback can be a valuable thing, certainly, but maybe you could ask these people to be a bit more specific on their likes, dislikes and actual preferences? Like if Riptor doesn’t seem to be enough of this or that, what might some people want to improve upon that and make the character better?

I’m also curious if there was any other feedback on other characters? I get a general “they liked other characters” vibe from your posts, but what specifically hit well with people besides Jago’s laser sword?

I’m only asking because if you do seem to get a good number of casuals and fighting game fans to drop in and play, it might be nice to hear what else they think, for better or worse.
[/quote]

Yeah well, the rest of the game was generally positive, I only brought the negative, which kinda makes sense to discuss that.

Someone up there helped me solve it, the guy ‘EveryManJack’ hit the nail on the head.

Yeah I understand ur not insulting them neither am I, but it was a negative approach stemming from their misunderstanding of this being a… I dunno…straight-forwardly negative post?

The post IS negative, but for positive reasons. Negative feedback is a positive thing, that’s how feedback works.

And yeah, i’ll share my experiences when I play with people. So far it’s alot of praise. A few particular youngish college students around 18, 19 years of age or so are hunting me down at night, wanting to play, and they are the Call Of Duty analog thumbstick lost soul type, and I think that’s pretty stellar. They don’t play other fighting games.

They freaked out the other night when I did multiple high hitting Ultras, culminitaing in a 118 hit Ultra with Jago, and are itching to incorporate instinct cancel into their Ultras hahaha.

2 Likes

I also heard the line, “See? XBOX One is the system to get!” being tossed around haha, even though they were playing on PC.

I guess that’s because people heard of the game on Xbox One long before it was released for Windows 10.
When people say Killer Instinct they automatically think Xbox One.

Plus, that age group is really into consoles.

But could this game really sell consoles? It sold me on an Xbox One for sure, but I just couldn’t afford one at the time!

RIPTOR animation is great.