God of War release date PS4

I’s it wrong that I’m mad this game is getting good reviews?

Hear me out

I don’t like Dark Souls. I think it’s too hard and too boring. I much prefer game like DmC, Bayonetta, and the original God of War. Sure they require less thinking, but I play them to blow off steam and deal ultra powerful. I get enough of strategizing and planning in real life. So I’m upset that God of War, one of the holy trinity of hack n slash, has abandoned its formula at a time when that style of game just doesn’t get made anymore. I mean, how many new hack n slash games have been announced. Bayonetta 3. That’s it. Maybe No More Heroes but i’m not sure if that counts. So anyway, i’ve always been kind of hoping that this game would turn out bad so that Sony would see that as a failure of the gameplay and make more games like classic god of war. Is that really wrong? I don’t want Hack n Slashes to go the way of the 3D platformer (AAA gaming abandoning the genre until it gets popular again thanks to the shudders indie scene).

1 Like

I turned in my Xbone+games at Gamestop so I could preorder this game. :heart:

I tried god of war through the HD release of god of war 3. I’m gonna give this game a try.

Honestly the game doesn’t look like Dark Souls that much to me, looks more like a melee-combat heavy version of The Last of Us, and with that said TLoU was a big deal to many people so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the positive reception is reviewers comparing it’s overall style to that game to some extent. I do see where you’re getting at though, I played the original trilogy back in the day and while I felt GoW3 was a step back in many ways I am surprised they went in a completely different direction with this one, instead of just refining the character action mechanics they already had.

Like many people I noticed how this game did feel more like TLoU tone-wise when it was first revealed and was skeptical as a result, but I still want to give it the benefit of the doubt. I mean after the last few games not doing that great (never played GoW: Ascension, but I heard a lot of negative things over the years) I can’t really blame them for going the reboot route like Tomb Raider. Still, it would be nice to have a new quality character action game that doesn’t require me to buy a Nintendo Switch (I don’t know what the new NMH is on, but Bayo 3 is exclusive and I’m not made of money).

Not to sound rude or anything but is Gamestop’s trade-in value that bad in your area? Or did you pre-order the more expensive Collector’s Edition? Just seems weird to me to trade in an entire console to get one game for another system.

Beleive me, i want to try it. It does look really good. but at this point i care more about sending Sony the message that we want more character hack n slashes and not as many action rpgs.

I come from Denmark. A new triple A game usually costs 599 dkk at launch. That’s 99,18 US dollars. And that’s the normal version.

I got my Xbone when it was first released in Denmark, which was the version without the Kinect. Denmark didn’t get the Xbone released until a year after it was released in the US, you see.

When turning it in at Gamestop, I could get 500 dkk for it. That’s 82,79 US dollars. And then had 3 games I could turn in as well to make out the last 100 dkk.

Why would I turn in a console, and then buy a game for that same console? XD

That explains it, I just looked at the word “Gamestop” and somehow assumed the worst (bad habit at this point, considering all the stories over the years).

I meant you turned in an XB1 to buy one PS4 game, as I said before it seems weird you traded in the whole system and that somehow wasn’t enough. It’s probably easier to say I felt empty-minded yesterday.

With that said I hope the game is worth it, after seeing so many new games bomb these past 2 years alone I would hope Sony was smart enough to avoid a similar fate (especially considering how drastic this reboot is for GoW).

I only pre-order games which I know I’m going to buy anyways. They are becoming fewer over the years though, but a few titles still makes me excited. This is one of them. ^^

wish i had the money to buy a ps4.

I’ve played God of War all day, and I am LOVING IT! It’s definitely different from the previous games, but in a good way. It’s a new experience, I love the RPG elements in the game and I simply ADORE Atreus, Kratos’ son. He is so precious and sweet and I just want to hug him and love him and protect him from all the cruel things in the world. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

maybe i’ll get it after I finally manage to grab the other games, but I still really want Sony to make an actual fourth entry in the God of War series. I don’t care if it follows up with this games plot, or has a deeper story and character arc, In fact I think that would be very cool, I just want me some classic God of War gameplay.

There is a fourth game. It’s just a prequel.
If you want to know what happens after Kratos disappeared in end of GoW3, this new game is exactly that.

To be honest, as much as I love the original games, it was msotly just the same thing over and over again with minimal changes in gameplay. Sure, you got new weapons to play with, but it was still the same thing in all the games. It was getting old, imo.

Tried the game, I’m enjoying it myself.

Got stuck on a level though.

Some cool facts about the new GoW!
No spoilers included.

Do you get other weapons besides the axe? That was one of the cooler parts of the old ones.

Kratos: Dad of the Year! :joy:
I haven’t played a ton of it yet since I’ve been a tad busy but so far while I’ve had trouble getting it to click just right the combat is VERY satisfying. Just the feel of chucking a big ol’ ax and watching your foes recoil in pain, and ripping a stunned enemy to bits… Very satisfying.

SPOILERS

Yes, you will get other weapon for Kratos.

Also a good video to see first:

1 Like

Been playing this the past few days. Starts kinda slow but once it opens up it comes together in a great way that reminds me of the current Tomb Raider series but bigger. Only other complaint I have is that the game recycles the troll and golem mini-bosses too much, even in the main storyline which doesn’t seem to have many truly unique bosses in the first place.

Just got to a specific part of the story, but I won’t say anything for the sake of spoilers.

tl:dr, It’s getting good.