Game mode or dynamic?

I used to play on dynamic on a 2015 Samsung and it felt normal, now I’m using a 2010 Samsung and there is definitely more lag, game mode feels like turbo because I guess it’s 6 ms or less, and manuals now become auto doubles, curious how it is at tourneys because this is all offline.

I have never been to a tournament. But mostly they use low latency gaming monitors with very fast response times and refresh rates. Depending on what you are actually measuring it’s in the 10 ms range. You can google BenQ gaming monitor as this is a popular brand and look at the stats. Many people say they need to practice on the monitors being used on site in order to get their timing right for tournament play. Most serious competitors will acquire a gaming monitor for home use as well. I am not a serious competitor but I did get a gaming monitor for my arcade setup. I don’t know exactly the statistics but I can tell you I play much better than on my 4K tv which is supposedly less than 30 ms response time.

1 Like

Nice learned a couple new things there, anybody with tourney experience share the difference between home and tourney for them?

The difference between playing on a big TV not optimized for fighters and a tournament monitor is large enough that I went and bought a monitor very shortly after my first (or maybe second :thinking:) offline. Even on game mode, display lag for TV’s not designed for gaming is just really, really bad. It’s not something you will ever notice unless you’ve actually played on a real gaming monitor, but it is not somehing you can un-notice.

Basically, coming to your first offline it will feel like everything happens faster. Defensively, you will find that you can defend yourself better - you tech more throws, AA more easily/consistently, and can “see” combo elements more clearly. This all is pretty easy and doesn’t take much getting used to - you just play better. On offense though, you will find that your inputs for things will tend to be too early, meaning you’ll get AD’s when you wanted a manual or a manual when you wanted a reset. Basically, playing with high display lag teaches you to input things a bit earlier than is actually necessary, because the visual cues where you must push something on 60ms of display lag is different than the visual cue of where you’d push something in 10 or 11 ms of display lag. The difference isn’t so huge as to be insurmountable, but it is big enough to be surprising the first time and can pretty easily mess up your execution on things that you can do very consistently at home. At my first offline I was completely unable to do command grab resets until after about 30 minutes of casual play; my muscle memory for the timing between pressing the AD and when they “fell out” of the combo was all wrong.

1 Like

!st tournament I competed at and 1st time on a game moniter was a HUGE difference! I was practicing in my room on the tv and then went down to the floor and practiced and the difference was so big that it felt like I couldnt do anything right…my timing was off so bad its not even funny. BUt after about an hour I got used to it and it makes a big difference. I definitely believe you have to be prepared on the moniter before competing. BUt if just playing at home a normal 4k tv in gameing mode is just fine.

Interesting, you guys think the lag on new TVs around the new Xbox, which I think is fall 2020, will be as fast as the gaming monitors now or are gaming monitors always going to be the way to go?

I suspect that gaming monitors will always be a bit faster, but newer TV’s are definitely getting better and better optimized for low-lag gaming. You can already get pretty affordable decent-sized TV’s that have high 20’s-low 30’s ms of display lag, and I’d only expect those numbers to go down further as time passes.