Game Imitations/Ripoffs

What video games have you seen/noticed that either imitated or ripped off other games as well as ones that reminded you of other video games?

I am now going to start off with a few games that imitated and at the same time reminded me of Ori and the Blind Forest:
Child of Light

Seasons After Fall

Rain World

And speaking about game imitations/ripoffs, I noticed this one person on YouTube who basically said/commented that most video games nowadays are either (again) imitating or ripping off other video games/video game titles. Is that really true and do you find that to be the case too?

1 Like

There’s a bunch of mortal kombat rip-offs.

3 Likes

Like these, for examples?

1 Like

Child of Light came out a year before Ori, so it didn’t so much imitate it. They are similar though.

3 Likes

Well, yes, for instance, Ori and the Blind Forest is a Metroidvania, meaning that it played in the same style as Metroid and Castlevania and was by no means an original concept to begin with. Most concepts have already been used at this point in time but there are still one or two innovative games being released on occasion that stand out, or games that have interesting enough mechanics that makes them worth a look regardless of if the title they’re from is super unoriginal.

1 Like

I have to respectfully disagree about Child of Light. Besides the water color aesthetic it has nothing in common with Ori. It’s a menu driven RPG while Ori is a platformer. And even the visual style is vastly different besides the painted quality.

1 Like

Outlast anyone?

1 Like

Bloodstorm seemed pretty cool. And the best thing about war gods was the announcer.