Eyedol's arrival just made the characters' size issue even worse

Yes, I know.

Eyedol still seems to dwarf him. We’ll just have to wait and see them both in the game.

1 Like

Riptor? Gargos?

1 Like

I get the feeling someone’s insecure about their height…or something else…

I wish the game had an option to toggle off zoom-out when you’re fighting bigger characters as regular-sized ones, at least locally. I’d really like to feel the actual scale of these guys when fighting them.

Or at the very least, make the game do the camera zoom-out when the round starts (READY!) … let us feel they’re imposing.

As things are now, Aganos, Arbiter, Gargos and Eyedol don’t really look bigger… the other characters look like they shrunk.

2 Likes

Ever since Aganos showed how the camera could be expanded upon due to his size, I fully expected the same to happen with Gargos and Eyedol. If it didn’t, I would have actually considered them failures as a design.

They’re evil gods that just want to destroy and take over the world, and they portray that in their design by making them look like big monsters and demons. Not to mention that they’re the bosses of the game.

Even in the original games they can be seen bigger than the normal cast.

And I respect that they took this into account with the guest characters to keep their heights accurate. I don’t think it would be right to make Arbiter around Thunder’s size when in reality, that’s actually around Master Chief’s height who is a whole foot shorter than Arbiter, but I think I would have accepted that had it not have been for the Aganos rule.

1 Like

I posted a comparison of the two in training mode over in the Eyedol sub-forum.

It’s not like back in the old days (S1), when Thunder was the only 1 stomping his feet… SIGH

I only bought the game halfway through Season 2, since the Xbox One released a year later in my country. While I followed the forums and discussed about the characters’ lore and design, I didn’t partake in gameplay suggestions, since I didn’t have the game yet.

But I think there are two distinct issues here: one is the camera zooming out when characters are at opposite ends of the arena - the more they distance themselves, the more the camera zooms out. This makes sense to me, as it is a “horizontal zoom-out”. What we have with big characters is more of a “vertical zoom-out” that makes tall characters appear normal-sized and the other characters much shorter. I don’t know how camera zooms work, in all honesty, so I can’t argue much about how things should be done, nor if I’m making myself clear at all. I just think that there should be no “vertical zoom out” so that tall characters appear much larger and normal/short ones don’t appear shorter.

My argument wasn’t that Gargos, Eyedol, Raam and Aribiter shouldn’t be big, they absolutely have to be huge, My argument was that all the huge character are condensed in S3 and I desired more variety. My other argument is that now aganos looks like a toy just cuz there are humanoid creatures as tall as he is.

1 Like

lol, I’m average I’d say, this has nothing to do with my height:P I just wanted to see more size variety in S3.

I actually think there was less variety in the previous seasons! Everyone was too small! At least now we can balance it all out and have a good amount of large characters with the overwhelming amount of small fast characters in the previous 2 seasons!

2 Likes

I still think IG should do something about the zoom … the way the game is now, doesn’t do these big guys justice.

And what do you propose they do? I’m all ears if you have a solution that you think might work, but what we have now is pretty good overall, I think…

Oh, I already mentioned a couple alternatives before. One, add an option to toggle off zoom-out when you’re fighting as a regular-sized guy against a big-sized one … and two, make the actual zoom out from “regular camera” to “far camera” before the round starts, when the announcer goes “READY”.

Okay, I’ll address them then. :wink:

Your 1st idea’s already been shot down by the devs. Take my main, Aganos, for example. He reaches the top of the screen with a normal zoom-level (which can sometimes be seen after he wins with an ultra), so if you’re fighting him with idea #1, then all of a sudden he jumps and you can no longer see him or what he’s doing off-screen (is he using jumping lp, mp, hp, lk,mk, hk?). Conversely, If the camera follows him, then we can’t see what the other player is doing below him (is he crouching, blocking, anti-airing, dashing out of the way?).

As for your 2nd idea, that will simply serve to make everything too small all of the time. To see this, simply pick the game’s largest and smallest characters (Aganos and either Hisako or Kim Wu) and then have them back away from each other as far as possible. Now imagine the camera stuck at that distance no matter where they go on-screen and only able to pan left or right. While this idea works in theory, you lose a lot of the cinematic camera effects in the priocess. If you pay attention, the game likes to zoom in and out with shadow moves, enders, ultras, etc. I don’t know about you, but I want to keep those - and having the camera panned all the way out would make those dramatic effects far less cinematic even if they’re kept in (and possibly even may become rather jarring).

1 Like

I would actually love a height chart done of all the characters going left to right shortest to tallest.

2 Likes

You cheating butt.

I agree - that kind of thing would be really cool.

1 Like

I get what you mean about the first alternative, but I believe you didn’t understand the second one. As things are right now, when the round starts (vs Aganos for instance) the camera is already zoomed out to fit the big guy’s size. All I say is, the camera should zoom out (transition) from regular view:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zK_y2MLHAJs/maxresdefault.jpg

to “big guy” view when the round starts:

https://tombennettblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/aganos-footage-screen-shot-30042015-23-40.png

… so that way you get a glimpse of what their actual size is for a second or two. Everything else should be unchanged, so there shouldn’t be any losses.

1 Like

I see your point, but being zoomed in is what actually makes him look bigger, not being zoomed out (which makes him look smaller and other characters even smaller still).