Dreamcast documentary

Dreamcast, probably the console I was most attached to as a teen. Some good stuff and background info on its demise and Sega’s struggles in the documentary below.

3 Likes

Thanks! Can’t wait to check this out when I get off work.

It’s definitely one of my all time favorites. It’s the last generation that gave me visuals that truly dropped my jaw the moment I took it out of the box, plugged it in and popped the first title (Soul Calibur) in.

I have so many fond gaming memories from that system and I was so glad at the time that it finally seemed like Sega got it right after Sega CD, 32X and Saturn. It still bums me out that PS2, which launched with an exceedingly mediocre lineup, still came along and crushed it. To this day, I still have a slight bias against Sony for that, even though PSone is also one of my favorite consoles as well.

I say slight, because I fully realize that Sega made their own bed when it came to several decisions and the results of those decisions. Hindsight might be 20/20, but even back then, there were still multiple ideas that struck people as odd and less than ideal, from going all in on FMV with the Sega CD to essentially stealth launching the Saturn and doing so at a higher price point with no heavy hitters on launch day, etc.

Either way, I still have a soft spot in my gaming heart for Sega and still dream that one day, they’ll either release a new console or be purchased by Microsoft so that they can leverage a ton of those dormant Sega franchises. I know neither will happen, but ya know… What if, right? lol

2 Likes

Marvel vs Capcom
Sonic Adventure

I never had that many game son there, but it still made an imapact.

I do know it was the console that had the first Soul Calibur on there. A game I missed out on till SC 2.

Also in other news…

1 Like