Dragon Ball FighterZ

Funimation said awhile back, like earlier this year I believe, that they are aware of how they portrayed him wasn’t in line with the original Japanese and they planned moving forward to keep him more in line with the Japanese version.

…or in other words they plan on keeping him a self-centered man-child as well. :smirk:

2 Likes

Oh hey, somehow I didn’t notice this thread existed before now. This game is looking really cool, it’ll probably be the first fighting game I make an effort to follow and get into since KI.

I just finished binge-rewatching Z in its entirety, and also caught up to episode 27 of Super (I can’t stand the Japanese dub so I guess I’m stuck at the end of Resurrection F waiting for the relevant production companies to decide they want my money :confused: ), but I don’t have any exposure to Dragon Ball, GT, or the movies. Based on that, I threw together a kinda rough 24-character roster:

1. Goku
  2. Gohan
  3. Vegeta
  4. Frieza
  5. Cell
  6. Fat Buu
  7. Future Trunks
  8. Krillin
  9. Picollo
  10. Yamcha
  11. Tien
  12. Hercule
  13. Videl
  14. Supreme Kai
  15. Nappa
  16. Zarbon
  17. Captain Ginyu
  18. 18
  19. 17
  20. Babidi
  21. Dabura
  22. Kid Buu
  23. Beerus
  24. Whis

I think most of the Z fighters are shoo-ins, whether you think their power levels are up to snuff or not. I want Hercule in there because it’d be funny to lab him up and then body people with him online, and it’d be hilarious if Mr Satan turned out to be OP and someone took Evo with him. I think wizard-esque characters like Supreme Kai, Babidi, and Whis have a lot of potential to have interesting combat designs, which allows ArcSys to shine. Nappa is in because I’ve seen the Saiyan saga re-screened on free-to-air TV too many times to count, which was mostly Nappa beating on the Z fighters for a large amount of episodes, so I suspect he’s well-remembered. Zarbon and Ginyu are probably the most memorable Frieza henchmen, and they’d probably also make for interesting combat designs. Dabura might be one of the easier villains to remove from the list, but I thought the Buu arc roster might be a little thin without him, and, again, combat design potential. One of the “thin” Buus makes sense to include since it would probably play pretty differently from fat Buu, so I just picked the final form. I thought Beerus and Whis might both be too overpowered lore-wise to fit, but then I remembered that Xrd has a character who fights whilst taking a phone call throughout the match, so ArcSys have a veri applicable out here.

Characters I thought about that didn’t make the list include Chiaotzu, Chi-Chi, King Kai (North), Pikkon, various fusions (I could see Gotenks getting in, but I’m hedging against fusions for now for a few reasons), Tao (probably the easiest Dragon Ball reference?), Raditz (easily overshadowed by Nappa), Dr Gero (I don’t get the impression that Gero got a lot of screen time in Dragon Ball, otherwise between that and being 20 he’d probably make my list), and 16.

Obv. totally ignored the movies, in part because I haven’t seen any of them but also because apparently they’re not canon. If other more-informed people think that characters like Broly have to be in there then I’m probably off base here.

If we get support-focused characters, I hope we get something crazy like 0-health Bulma in an entirely support role throwing out capsules or gathering dragon balls or something.

May as well sign me up for the Videl fan club as well. For my money, the Great Saiyaman saga was the best part of the Buu arc by far. They did a great job of building up conflict between Videl and Gohan, the entire arc could’ve grown out of that setup. Instead they kinda threw it all out the window when they cut her hair and switched out her fiery personality in pretty much one fell swoop – basically erasing the entire character – and replaced the setup with the Buu exposition dump shortly thereafter.

I don’t even think they would’ve needed to go about powering Videl up to make her relevant – they could’ve continued to use her as a foil for the exponential power creep of the previous arcs, they could’ve drawn out the tournament over several in-universe days and slow-rolled the Babidi/Buu reveal. Instead the arc went through a few too many farfetched twists, threw away even more setups, and ramped up a bunch of fake stakes by killing everyone and destroying Earth (and without giving any reason to doubt that the Namekian dragon balls would inevitably come to the rescue), in the process getting rid of nearly every interesting character. It left me sour to all of the power creep in DBZ in general.

I do think the arc did some good stuff, mind. Vegeta had a very good arc, and I like how Mr Satan stumbled into doing something useful and selfless. But it fumbled a lot of good opportunities, and Videl was at the top of the list.

I generally like the lighter side of Super, and I think Bulma really carries the first two seasons, but I think Frieza’s return was mostly terrible. Also although I mostly like Beerus as a character, the power creep is a problem that weighs on my enjoyment of the battles.

They pretty much did the same thing with Chi-Chi between DB and DBZ… She went from an interesting yin to Goku’s yang and a tournament fighter to boot to single-mindedly psychotic about making sure Gohan was going to be a scholar instead of another fighter.

Piccolo and Krillin confirmed:

The article is in Spanish, I will translate some key points

Confirmed in the last number of V-Jump magazine.

It mentions that Krillin will be able to use his trademark Destructo Disc, which you can hold the button to increase its strength. It mentions that it’s unblockable, but is unclear if its by default or has to be hold for that.

In the online lobby you will have Chibi versions of the chars, and they can fight between them

As Wrath said, you should expect a more faithful representation of the character. Now that anime is more mainstream, the whole practice of changing characters/arcs/content to “suit” American tastes has largely fallen out of practice, and I think that’s all to the good. For as much as I hate Super’s Goku, it is Goku as he was intended. I probably wouldn’t be a fan of the Dragon Ball universe if it’d been the Goku I saw as a child, but that’s my hang-up, and not the dub company’s job to fix it. Let the work stand (or not) on its own.

Yeah, that was my gripe with how they handled her as well (although the haircut made sense within the context of the story as well). It really seems to be a legit gap in Toriyama’s capabilities to write interesting married female characters. The instant they get married whatever personality they had before gets subsumed into some generic blob of motherliness/wifehood. Bulma is just about the only exception.

Videl and Gotenks (before he actually started fighting, because he’s kinda annoying in an actual battle :joy:) are really the only things to come out of the Buu arc that I really liked. Kid Buu was cool, but shows up super late. And I have never particularly liked Vegeta, so seeing his arc where having reality slap him in the face for a decade over his inferiority finally results in him grudgingly accepting “you’re better than me Kakarot” basically just made me yell at the screen “no ■■■■ Sherlock.” Way to endanger your wife, son, and the rest of the world (at least) over what amounts to a bruised ego. You’re an a-hole Vegeta, plain and simple, and you get no points for finally accepting what everyone already knew. :unamused:

EDIT: Mystic Gohan was pretty cool too :slight_smile:

I mostly like your list :slight_smile: Producer already confirmed no [Mercenary] Taio though :sob:

Someone you have that I didn’t that I think would be interesting is Babidi. He could be a cool summoner style character, and probably have some of the kinds of crazier options that Arcsys is known for in their games. I’d tend to shy away from Nappa just because I think there are characters who are more powerful who I think could fulfill similar roles (cause Nappa sure isn’t gonna be tanking anyone revealed in the cast so far, to include the Z fighters). Aside from his spitting attack Dabura isn’t all that memorable to me, but I wouldn’t lament his inclusion.

And I really think Zarbon could be a cool design. He could be a character who’s built around his install mechanic, which would be an interesting change from someone like Frieza, who mostly seems (thus far) to get along quite well without it.

1 Like

100% Right

Goku was never brilliant, but he always cared for his friends and family. Although I can understand his desire to fight powerful opponents, he goes full retard in Super to fulfill this desire.

This.

At some point, making characters ubër powerful made most secondary ones irrelevant(Krillin was still useful against Frieza, worthless from there, Piccolo was useful to some extent against Androids, he evolves into a teacher in Buu saga, Tien, Yamcha… all of them irrelevant for similar reasons than Krillin)

At this point, only Vegeta and Goku are capable fighters against the dangers they face. IMO Frieza saga was the best, since every character was useful in some way, even if only one or two were powerful enough to face the villain. Super just makes the gap even bigger, so every fight which is not Goku or Vegeta feels like filler

Gohan was interesting during his childhood, and the begining of Buu saga. From there… Poor Gohan

I remember when Vegeta tricked Frieza and Zabron and got several Dragon Balls from their ship. Or when Krillin used his solar flare technique to avoid Dodoria. The only “clever” approach I have seen in Super was Piccolo against Frost, and wasn’t particularly destacable[quote=“STORM179, post:249, topic:21146”]
I really hate Hercule
[/quote]

It’s funny, because Hercule(Mr. Satan in spanish and more languages) has a lot of fans, and he was made to be cared and loved by the fans… And he is just a fraud and a lier! Think about it, Mr. Satan biggest achievement was being in the precise moment in the correct place… And enjoy a life of fame from a lie.

What ■■■■■■■ lesson is that???

To be fair hercule had quite the bit of popularity before cell in lore. In his prime he was the strongest non KI using human in dragon ball and won numerous tournaments as well as the tenkaichi tournament the year goku didn’t go. He is the most “normal” fighter in the cast and had to get over the fact that all of a sudden there was a random group of people with powers that can blow up moons…easily!

All of his life spent towards training almost wasted as there is literally no way he could think about becoming the “world strongest” with goku and co. around.

He may have failed the morality test when he lied about beating cell but that has made him all the more “human” and relatable to his fans especially when he repented and changed with fat buu

2 Likes

Just so you know In English he was changed to Hercule for DBZ’s initial Cartoon Network run, but in later releases to bring it back to his Japanese name he was just called Hercule Satan.

A video showcasing Krillin and Piccolo screenshots(wat?)

As expected, Piccolo can extend his arms, and both of them show some of their trademark techniques

2 Likes

Haha. Yep, Vegeta stealing Frieza’s dragon balls is exactly what I was thinking of. And then Gohan hiding the ball he stole from Vegeta when they run into each other afterwards.

All true, but also something that always bothered me about the character. The Tenkaichi Budokai had some absolutely nuts moments in it in Dragonball, so why is this singularly unimpressive guy world famous? Even if he is the current title holder for the tournament, has everyone just forgotten when Piccolo grew to giant size? When “Jackie Chun” blew up the moon? When Tien and Goku were flying around and shooting energy blasts and whatnot? Has no one really never stopped to think “huh, I wonder if Hercule might have been out of his league against that giant green guy or that old dude who blasted the moon out of the sky? :thinking:

His fame even within the universe makes no sense. That’s the point of Hercule. That’s the joke - that this narcissistic buffoon reaps all the rewards of heroism and fame. I just don’t happen to think the joke is very funny, even if it perhaps is a bit true.

1 Like

I think Janemba and Dabura would be great additions to the roster. Although they might be known for using swords and stuff, I think they could be differentiated from Trunks.

Janemba could be a parry character and essentially use his teleports/portals to basically get behind an opponent and open them up for a combo after a successful parry.

Dabura, I feel, can be similar to Faust from GG in that he uses a giant poking tool (minus the goofy movements of course). He could be a footsies character, or possibly play keepaway by spitting fireballs and then using his spear to poke at anyone trying to approach. His stone spit could be a fun projectile, and they could make it unblockable at the cost of massive reduction of combo damage.

I can’t load the video where I am :sob:

Piccolo’s extend-o-arms were a pretty guaranteed inclusion in the character’s toolset, even if I’m not really a fan of them. I could see ASW using them like Raven’s to create command grab opportunities, or even just to give him some fantastic space control normals ala Kan-Ra. Piccolo’s one of my favorite DB characters, and DB Super has established that he’s at a level where he can comfortably challenge SS2, so it’ll be good to see another non-Saiyan who can brawl. Hoping for some Masenko and special beam cannon supers :slight_smile:

And glad to see Krillin in as well, though he was also expected. I like that Destructo Disk is unblockable - it wasn’t until pretty late in DBZ that we started to see characters who could catch or otherwise just shrug them off. I’ll also be very curious to see how they have him playing, as I think that even as the strongest human he might give us a window into how the team is planning to handle the canonically weaker members of the cast. If he winds up being weaker than the characters we’ve seen thus far, I fully expect to see his Destructo Disc make an appearance as his assist. Having a literally unblockable assist would be quite the incentive to put a “weak” character on your team. :hushed:

3 Likes

Unsure what the images say on them, but someone on reddit said that Krillin can angle his ki attacks. If there is a way to implement different attack angles with his assist, then I can see him being a really good assist. Assuming his assist will be his unblockable disks, he could be made a strong support by giving him both forward and upward disk assists.

Piccolo is my fav DB char ever.

I will main him for sure. Love his techniques.

This. I really hope to see him weaker, but with a great assist. I would love to see that balance in the game. They mentioned that some chars would have non hitting assists.

Krillin’s solar flare as fullscreen stagger like attack was one of my bets,and unblockable discs were my second choice

I’d rather see them save Solar Flare for Tien because it’s his move after all.

1 Like

True, but Krillin gave it really good uses during the series.

I would be ok with Tien having it tho.

The angled blast you heard is a popular attack krillin had in other dbz fighting games. He would shoot a big kameha and at the last second before impact throw his hand up which made the beam go up in the air, split into numerous peices of large KI blast that home into and barrage the target. I think the barrage could be seen in a screenshot coming down from the sky

If only one character could have the solar flare, then I’d give it to Tien. It’s his move originally, and Krillin has other iconic moves that he could draw from in-game or as an assist. Only other assist I can think of for Tien would be a tri-beam, which isn’t substantially different from the beam assists we’ve seen from much of the cast thus far (unless they focused on it as a pushback effect similar to how it was used against Imperfect Cell or something). Or maybe his clone technique, though I expect that will probably make an appearance as his Level 3.

Tien could use Dodon Ray for the assist. But yeah, likely Tri-Beam.

As for the level 3, I’d think Neo Tri-Beam would be a better fit.

1 Like