Dragon Ball FighterZ

Dragonball is a series that can do whatever it wants. . . it was originally a more comedic series so I could see a couple of nostalgic/comedy characters in the mix.

Any char that was present in Z could be present. Goku, Tien, Piccolo, Krillin
 they are previous to Z, but they remained there and faced new enemies.

I can’t see any RR army, Piccolo senior, or Tao being relevant. I would concede Tao, tho, he is cool

Roshi appeared in Z, even fought against Frieza army, and later in Super, so although a comical character, he would fit

it’s a fighting game, I understand that’s not something you’d like but I think some dragon ball character can bring interesting tropes and playstyles to the game. A part of me REALLY LIKES the first part of Dragon ball more than Z and even super, so excuse me if my personal feelings are getting me pnoid but I REALLY don’t want this game to NOT have dragon ball characters lol.

I’m speaking from the producer perspective

Considering this, weak chars may make it, being actually WEAK, but with good assists

Roshi, Krillin or Mr. Satan falls in this category

1 Like

How about some Dragon Ball Evolution versions of characters??

1 Like

GET OUT. GET. . . . . . . . . . .out. lol jk

1 Like

Savage

Hey, Dragon Ball Evolution deserves its respect. If it wasn’t for it being so god awful Akira Toriyama wouldn’t have been inspired to make Dragon Ball Super to wash the foul taste out of our mouths.

1 Like

Hm.

1. The main character(s) of Z (rotating as it did) were not brilliant, but they weren’t so brainlessly stupid that they endanger literally trillions of lives because they want to have a tournament. Goku is insanely annoying to me in Super - he literally has no consideration for anything except the uber-generic “I want to fight strong guys”. He was never a particularly complex character in Z, but neither was he a punch-drunk menace (until the Buu saga, which not incidentally is my least favorite arc of DBZ).

2. The action in Super is generally subpar in my opinion. There are exceptions (Goku v Hit, Goku v 17) where the animation is really legit, but overall the show simply doesn’t impress in comparison to today’s shows. DBZ was beloved partly because it did action better than its contemporaries - Super barely manages to keep up with its decades-old predecessor half the time.

3. Super is an incredible victim of power creep. DBZ had the problem somewhat as well (again, manifesting mostly in the Buu saga where Trunks and Goten both can go SS for no discernable reason whatsoever), but it is far more internally consistent in terms of how power is portrayed. Vegeta worked for years to attain Super Saiyan and then basically had to sell his soul for SS2, while Gohan spent a year training in the hyperbolic time chamber and then got mentally tortured by Cell to get his SS transformations. Kalifa gets to concentrate her energy in her back (“make it all tingly” I believe was the translation?) and she’s SS2. Master Roshi is as strong as Tien? Ok
but how or why? Because the story (such as it is) says we want him in the tournament to save the entire universe. Really? Goku gets Super Saiyan Blue, power that rivals the gods themselves (who two-shot SS3, let’s remember), and then Krillen gets him to go SS Blue for a training bout?

4. Gohan spends much of Super being useless. It really bugs me that the character who arguably was a main character for much of DBZ was so routinely nerfed and sidelined. I’m happy to see him actually be a functioning adult as opposed to his penniless father, but it shouldn’t have taken 70 episodes for him to be relevant.

5. A lot of the other universe fighters have ridiculous premises, and it’s annoying to see problems with such easy solutions be treated as if they are super complicated. [SPOILERS] In the latest episode, Vegeta picks up the guy who cannot take physical damage and precedes to slowly walk him to the edge of the ring to drop him off the edge. My dude - you can literally shatter mountains. Throw the mf’er out of the ring from wherever the hell you’re standing and be done with it [/SPOILERS]. Stuff like that is teeth-grindingly annoying. Vegeta and Krillen and even Goku could be quite clever in DBZ when the situation called for it, but in Super they’re mostly just really, really, dumb in the way they go about things.

6. Frankly, I think the English music of DBZ was better than the Japanese soundtrack, and I think it’s better than Super’s. Super does better than the original DBZ soundtrack, but in general I don’t think it’s particularly memorable. And no, this is not a generic preference for “American” music - I think many animes have quite incredible sound direction that I would never want changed.

7. I really hate Hercule. Hercule is in Super for longer and in a bigger role in general than Z.

I will readily concede that my opinion on Z is probably colored by nostalgia. But at the same time, I’ve always recognized that DBZ was a fun show with pretty obvious flaws. It had terrible pacing issues, one-dimensional characters, the aforementioned power creep problems, and a general neglect of much of the cast. But for all that the show also had incredible fight scenes the likes of which hadn’t been seen before, and it wrapped them around high stakes battles that felt like they mattered with interesting villains. Super has recycled a Z villain, had the nominal hero precipitate the current crisis, and its hands-down best villain was basically a thin Goku.

And I’ve actually been rewatching DBZ. Still a flawed show, but it’s holding up a lot better than I would’ve thought. A startling chunk of its action actually holds up right alongside Super, and that’s a big problem given how far animation has come since then.

1 Like

and i still think those producers are goddamn idiots. leave the balancing to the people whose job it is to try to have the entire cast as balanced but outrageously fun as possible. those guys dont know what they are saying. the entire premise of this game is a non-canon dream fight between characters of dbz that would NEVER team up. krillin or hercule fighting and beating Goku or Vegeta is the last thing to worry about when freaking cell and Freiza are on the same team as vegeta.

it really annoys me to think that those producers will be responsible for forcing certain characters to be weaker than others in an attempt to keep some semblance of the anime power level tiers. even if they have a better than average assist. i want the devs in charge of fight mechanics to give a character the right archetype to fit the characters history in such a way that makes the charecter fun to use and can keep up with the rest of the cast.

having corporate decide to make them break the kneecaps of a character on purpose and throw a bandaid assist that very well could be either ■■■■ or OP broken rubs me the wrong way. almost like if Microsoft told Keits that Arbitor cannot be a weak charecter he has to do sick damage because their halo flagship charecter cannot be seen doing less damage on average than the other KI charecter and keits had to try to limit his creativity to somehow accomodat that outrageous request

What makes you think the decision isn’t something the design team wanted? Just because the producer is the one out in the media describing the game’s design philosophy doesn’t mean they’ve been dictating the design philosophy. Much less that they’ve been dictating it in a direction contrary to the design team’s intended philosophy.

And I think it’s the perfect way to handle it. Yes, having Hercule fight Goku is stupid, and I’m glad that they’re thinking of creative ways to balance out that kind of dynamic. “Less powerful” doesn’t mean unviable; it just means that toolsets will reflect that no, Extra #12 probably doesn’t want to charge headlong into SS2 Gohan.

1 Like

It would likely be advantageous to have at least one front runner and one assist character on your team.

If Videl’s in the game she’ll be my support.

you have a point that this could be a sentiment shared by the design team. but even then i just dont agree with that kind of philosophy. even now the last thing on everyones mind is how come SS2 gohan father-son kameha does more damage than golden freiza level 3. gohan does that damage not because of his power placement in the anime but his toolkit and playstyle dictates that he be a small low range glass cannon that does insane damage but its harder to get in to do that damage with the range of the other charecters. its honestly a cool archetype. if he had the range of goku, or buu or even cells normals he would be broken.

thats the sort of balance im completly fine with. not simply saying SS2 teen gohan is freaking weak sauce by the time goku and company are in the buu saga not to mention golden freiza therefore to keep the same anime power level intact his lvl 5 super now does less damage than goku lvl 3 super and all of his other supers are now nerfed in accordance. but hey his assist is now a super fast anti air beam thats really helpful to your team right? so his viability in the game isnt lost right?

you may have a point that less powerful doesnt always mean less viable but gohan surely would not be as exciting if his lvl 5 super(the only one currently in the roster) was neutered to for some reason to ensure the anime power levels are the same. it rubs me the wrong way

When’s Videl! I need to teach my brother that Girls can be cool in video games as well, lol

I don’t want to seem like a broken record, (because I’ve said this elsewhere), but Goku is the sole reason why the Universes have a chance to prove their strength, instead of being erased without a second thought. Just because he thought of the idea for the tournament, does not mean he had the thought to erase Universes. That was decided by Zen-Oh (arguably this was actually a concept brought up by the Grand Priest, who will be the villain of the next arc). However, Goku was the proponent for letting the strongest Universe remain in existence.

Is Goku a Fight-hungry idiot? Yes. Is he responsible for the erasure of Universes or a proponent thereof? No. He, unwittingly, gave the Universes a second chance through his want to fight stronger foes.

And I still call BS on that, since Beerus told him from the get-go that drawing Zen-Oh’s attention was likely to get their universe erased. Goku doesn’t get a pass for being a thoughtless moron just because him being a thoughtless moron happens to magically coincide with the best case scenario. He had no idea what Zen-Oh’s plan was - he simply wanted to fight, and happy coincidence (I suppose) that it all kinda-sorta-maybe-potentially works out.

Is Goku malicious? No. But he’s also criminally negligent and has no concept of action and consequence, and I’m sorry, but I don’t think he’s much of a hero in Super. I can’t get behind a character who’s basically a selfish adrenaline junkie.

1 Like

The thing is, from my understanding that’s how he’s always been in DBZ and Dragon Ball before that, and Funimation altered that a bit in localization by making him seem like more heroic that his Japanese counterpart was and less selfish.

But whatever the case DBS feels to me like they were trying to channel Goku’s personality from the original DB maybe a bit more than what was in DBZ.

2 Likes

This is true to my understanding as well - Funimation made Goku a bit of a Japanese Superman, which was never Toriyama’s intent. But the English dub is what I grew up with, and frankly, I don’t think I’d have liked him as a kid either if he was even half as crappy of a person as he is in Super.

In Dragonball Goku was a well-meaning and generally naïve kid. And that worked, because he was a kid, one who grew up with basically no other human interaction. Goku is a grown-■■■ man now - I get no enjoyment from watching an adult with two children behaving like a more selfish version of himself from 30 years ago. You’re a father of two with the ability to destroy worlds
is it too much to ask to display even a shred of maturity?

2 Likes

Considering how 1-dimensional most anime characters are
it probably is. :joy:

1 Like

I’m really curious on how the dub of Super portrays him. I’ll wait until Super is done with RoF. I’m skipping the two movie arcs as the movies were way better. Back to FighterZ. I actually kind of want DB Evolution to be in the game just to see the community rage. More as an April Fools prank though. I wonder if the Androids will have some sort of modified meter system though. Android 19/20 of they make it can drain meter of course. 17/18 would be really interesting though.