Do you consider video games to be an art form?

[poll]
Do you consider video games to be an art form/form of art AND works of art?
Definitely so, yes
Not really, no
[\poll]

I definitely DO think that now. And in my case five words: Ori and the Blind Forest :relaxed: :heart_eyes:

Yes, I do. Games like Limbo have proven that enough for me…

1 Like

http://www.molleindustria.org/blog/the-great-art-upgrade/

1 Like

Yes… There’s alot of creativity and craft that go into many games . Some video games are lazy junk, but that can be said about any entertainment medium.

1 Like

Whenever this question pops up, I think of this video.

2 Likes

Games are their most artistic when they perform in the one way no other medium can; interactivity. Think about it, when you’re playing Mario, and you die, do you say that Mario failed, or that YOU failed?
I know whenever I’m playing a game and something goes wrong its usually an “I fuckked up” sort of scenario rather than a “that character fucked up” sort of scenario.
Games succeed as art when the player is in control and gets to shape their own. It is the most successful when the story is driven by what YOU did, and progress is determined by YOUR actions.
Even if you’re playing the exact same level, using the exact same gear, with the exact same objectives, the way you go through it will be completely different from the way someone else did. That’s the beauty of it.

Little pet peave: I hate when 90% of a game’s story is determined by something that would’ve been just as easy to do with zero player input at all (i.e. Having a character dying due to circumstances that you as a player could’ve prevented, like when your super awesome character who’s tanked rockets to the face, ripped people in half, and wiped out whole armies singlehandedly, only to be defeated by one dude with a knife, or a handful of grunts.) It’s a waste of the creatve/ storytelling potential lent to game creators and no one else.

1 Like

Cough Cough
Mass Effect
Cough Cough

1 Like

Short answer: yes, of course
More specific answer: yes, but as in any other type of art, there are better examples than others. Mass effect its great, and Daikatana its really awful

I will elaborate more later, love this type of debate

1 Like

Yes, it most certainly is an art form.

1 Like

Yes, it certainly is an art form, but every now and then (and more often nowadays) we become wrapped in the story that is sold to us on some pieces being art when they aren’t.

Maybe it’s the visuals, the story, or even the mechanics laid in the game that stick in our minds and stir something within us, but it’s always the same when it happens; we’re captivated in a way that can’t be fully described. Well, that’s what the really special games do anyway.

Of course this is entirely subjective, but it’s the rare titles of true creativity and beauty that tell the art from the scatterings. These titles, however old and dated or badly received by the general audience, stand the test of time and remain forever in our hearts for what they were to us.

1 Like

Absolutely!!! And its become quite amazing how far they have come since the 80s. Im usually in awe when playing a new title on xbox one…I just cant believe what Im seeing. From the programming to the art design, music… all of it are individual arts on there own…and as a whole they are just masterpieces!

Where was the poll? I couldn’t find the link.

1 Like

Well, wasn’t it featured in the Smithsonian or something?

1 Like

2 Likes

Of course games are art. If Yoko Ono can claim to be an artist, surely Shigeru Miyamoto can too. Like all good art, games are controversial and completely misunderstood and dismissed by a chunk of the population that just don’t get it.

As has been pointed out, there’s a difference between art and good art. As an aside, I started playing Valiant Hearts last night. I don’t think I can say it’s a great game, but it’s pretty powerful.

1 Like

A product can be art? People argue about if videogames can be art, while at the same time assuming movies are.

Movies are art? A 200 million budget movie, with the exclusive goal of generating 2x that revenue, can be considered art?
When that movie sacrifices whatever message wants to deliver, to attract as many viewers as possible, while maybe not imprinting a lasting impression or a meaningful thought, can that movie be considered, art?

When a blockbuster movie fails to imprint any memorable scene in my mind, yet I am able to remember a Bangbros update for months, should I say a ■■■■ scene is art while a Transformers movie is not?

What defines art? its content, or its goal? If it’s its content, games are art, of course. If it’s its goal, games are not art, nor are movies, bestsellers, series or comics.

1 Like

I down loaded Valiant hearts too! Is it good? I really like WW1 and 2 German Nazzi war stuff… is so interesting. Could you imagine if something like that happened today? The freaking world would think its at an end and Hitler would be the Antichrist. Have you seen “Fury”? That’s a great movie… Evolution of Evil - The Nazzi rise to power on American History channel

1 Like

+1 for introducing so naturally Bangbros in a disscusion about art

I can’t really say if Valiant Hearts is good or not. I would describe it as a semi-historical cartoon with bits of puzzle platform gameplay stuck in here and there. I’m only through the first couple of boards, but I can say it is emotionally powerful. WW I is an understudied subject these days and it was truly a horror. 280,000 casualties in the first month…

2 Likes

thanks for bringing up memories of Anna Bell Peaks lol.

back on topic, i think videogames are an art form. they evoke many emotions and raise questions with the players. thats what art does, makes you think, makes you feel!

2 Likes