Controller to stick transition

Any thoughts? Mine will be arriving on Tuesday as a late Christmas gift. I don’t know much about sticks, and I’m just getting into them. Is it a hard transition? Are inputs easier? How about personal reviews on the Hori RAP4? Any input would be awesome!

hope you like it, all the pros seem to use sticks.

for me, I play with my feet up, laying back, so unless a stick is designed to sit on my stomach …

hope you’re happy with your stick. those things can get expensive.

I hope so too man! Lol. I’ve been dying to get one! And as a matter of fact, I would assume you could use your lap to play with it using your play style as well!

I’ll be honest, I made the switch around Christmas, and it is a bit hard. You have to relearn everything on a fight stick due to it being so drastically different. But, in time with tons of practice, it feels great, as your inputs are more precise, and you look like a boss carrying it around. Lol.

But keep playing it and don’t give up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sticks are harder to get used to, but help you avoid some MAJOR accidents that can happen on a controller.

1 Like

[quote=“TheNinjaOstrich, post:4, topic:4287”]
and you look like a boss carrying it around. Lol.
[/quote]Trust me when I say, no you don’t…

1 Like

Don’t knock it 'till you try it. :unamused:

1 Like

I’m not one to back down from a challenge!!! I will carry it around with pride, and practice my little ginger heart out! Lmfao. But seriously, I won’t stop until I double my current skill level with a controller. Thank you for the encouragement as well, its refreshing to know that not everyone in the FGC is a self absorbed ■■■ hat lol

1 Like

If you’ve pretty much always played on pad, then rest assured that the stick will not make you any better, and that you will at first be quite a bit worse than you are now. They take a while to get used to.

I made the switch a little over a year ago, and to be honest the actual special motion inputs I think are still easier and more precise on a pad. The button layout for stick is a LOT better though, and you don’t get nearly the amount of missed inputs from things like accidentally brushing on the right analog stick that you would get on a controller.

Stick with it though and have fun. I really enjoy playing on stick to be honest, but definitely don’t think you’re all of a sudden going to be some execution monster if controllers are what you were bred on. There is a very definite transition period between the switch.

1 Like

Nobody is an execution Monster without practice. Those Tourney Guys and pros all had to start on a basic level when they first played on stick. :slight_smile:

It also depends on how fast you can adapt to it.

1 Like

I still remember playing Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers on my old Sega Genesis way back in the day while using a 3-button controller (A, B, and C), which made doing certain things in the game really hard or outright impossible. Then I got my hands on a 6-button controller for the console (A, B, C, X, Y, and Z) and, oh boy, the difference that made! Instant difference! Ah, fond memories… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve Recently Went To Stick Almost 2 Months Ago. Honestly, The Transition Wasn’t Hard At All. (Not For Me Anyway.) Just Hit The Lab With It…You’ll Perfect It In No Time.

As For A Review On That Stick, I Can’t Really Say. I Got A TE2.

1 Like

Its so much better than a pad…your going to love it. Hard at first, but only takes a few weeks to et down pat depending on how much time you invest in practicing. Do go playing ranked or exhibition just yet. get used to it first. You dont want ot go get bodied and get frustrated and give up.

They key is light, easy, fluid movements… handle it like a new girl friend… dont statt off smasing the hell out of it lol

2 Likes

It came a day early!!! I’m in the lab right now and lets just say my level of excitement is equivalent to a ten year old girls first pony xD its a little tricky, for me the stick inputs are kinda tiring in the wrist, but mostly accurate. However learning where my buttons are now is gonna be no small challenge xD I am super stoked though guys, and thank you all for the support and encouragement! It means a lot!

1 Like

Yeah getting the button layout into your muscle memory is probably what takes the most time. but once you got it down its the best. I dont like it for MK X…but its great for hold back block fighters.

Have fun! Good Luck!

1 Like

here is Gootecks giving a run down on arcade stick transition. enjoy

2 Likes

Really? Button location is what some people struggled with? Pretty interesting to me - even without using sticks hardly ever I found that by far to be the easiest and most intuitive part of the transition. Stick movement ranks far, far above that in my personal experience.

Funny how people’s experiences differ on these things.

1 Like

my biggest issue was doing DP inputs…until i saw maximilian one day explain how to do it in one of his vids. that just solved it right there lol, and i didnt see the solution till that day

1 Like

Quick! Fight me while you still suck with it! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Shoot me an inv sometime man! I’d love to spar again with someone as skilled as yourself!