Congrats to IG on Skyrim for Switch

I didn’t realize until my twitter feed lit up today that IG was working on the Switch port of Skyrim. Congrats @IronGalaxy! The reviews are great and people seem to be really happy with the port.

:tada: :balloon: :confetti_ball:

10 Likes

Really? Congrats :slight_smile:

So how do Dev teams “Port” a game exactly?

Porting is the process of taking a code for a game and bringing it to a new platform. Basically, taking a game apart and reassembling it so it works somewhere else.

Think of it like taking a vehicle with a gas motor and replacing it with a diesel engine. In order to use diesel fuel you need a different fuel system than a regular petroleum engine would. While a gas and a diesel powered vehicle will still act more or less the same, being a combustion based metal thing that gets you to and fro real speedy like, they need different kinds of fuel/parts to work.

That’s kind of what it’s like to port a game: making it so s game rums on another platform it didn’t before. It may be a more or less powerful version depending on what the platform is capable of, but it’s still more or less the same game.

At least that’s my understanding of it.

All I can say is… ALDUIN for KI!

Yeah I get the analogy…but Im asking more in detail…as in …how do they do it? Like where do you even begin?

I knew it IG where elder scrolls fans.