Can we talk about how dumb the ranking system is?

I made it to Gold soon after what I typed happened to me, I had to grind for another hour.(My -200 was against another silver who won while we were both in danger). The megaman analogy you made is spot on. The only thing I can think of that causes such drastic points to be removed is some sort of built MMR that takes more or less points depending on your winrate compared to the opponent.

Example being I lost 200 points because the game believed I should have been higher skilled and won the match against the lower skilled opponent and punished me to his MMR for losing. You probably lost only 12 in your match because your opponent was over your (or what the game believed to be) skill level.

The whole point is testing your skill AND fun, it is fine to put you down ** a little bit ** if you lose but 200 MAY be like 20 games or more, and thats not FUN.

Right now its a mess. Most of the high top 500 are in bronze, silver, and gold competing with each other.

1 Like

Just an idea to improve the experience for newer players. I think Ranked and Bronze level should perhaps have a threshold to enter.

New or less skilled join ranked as qualifiers, lose no points, can test their skills in qualifier matches, but only end up in ranked league if they manage to win 3 out of the last 10 matches against any (ideally) Bronze players and getting the option to enter League or not. If they barely won 3 then maybe better to brush up one’s skills first.

Winning three qualifier matches should put them in Bronze, anything less should keep them as qualifier. Then they have again 10 matches to get three wins (the requalify option doesn’t really help them, imo). Winning at least 3 out of 10 is feedback about their own skills and the level needed to survive in Ranked.

Now losing 10-0 and automatically being awarded Bronze is not ideal for new players, who get in by default and thereby lowering the level of both ranked and Bronze (similar to non killers being in killer) but raising false expectations about the level of their own skills. Now KI pairs them against high level players too often demoralizing these new players but this will never change (whether now filled with Killers or after a while when everyone left bronze and you also fight higher ranks). So raising the skill level of participants is maybe more important including the skill level of new players with a gradual introduction to ranked leagues.

Look, it is frustrating to lose your promotion match and be forced to work an extra 200 points of effort to try again. But those of you against it are overlooking something.

When you play a normal match, you have a chance to gain points or lose points. That’s expected and normal. The amounts you could gain or lose follow a system of semi-equivalent values. But when you play for your promotion, you’re playing for more than points. You’re playing for bragging rights, a better ranking and proof of your progress. Now tell me, how can you expect the consequences of losing a much more important match to not be more severe than playing a normal match for points?

I’m currently going through my third climb back up to Killer (the last one was voluntary
I wanted to git gud with Gargos), and so far the 200 pt loss hasn’t really bothered me. Mostly because my skill level is high enough that I can usually easily beat anyone Gold or lower
now as for other Killers that’s another story. But I do agree with whoever said it earlier, if you’re not skilled enough to pass that barrier easily, it’d probably be best if you didn’t. You would likely not have much fun
unless you’re a masochist

I take back anything positive I said about the new ranking system. lol. Anyways, forgot to post this clip I recorded a few months ago.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/CRIS178/video/18746953

Yes, but this just highlights the problem. It’s scored as if it were an important match, but it’s really just the same as every other match. You are playing a random ranked match against someone in your league - not even necessarily in your skill level within the league. So one match you fight the same guy, lose and lose fifty points. Three fights later, if it’s a promotion match you fight the same guy, at random, and lose 200 points. Or, you get to the promotion match and face a bottom rung player from your league and blow easily through it. Then come in this thread and say everyone who can’t cross that threshold probably shouldn’t. It’s a failure of logic. You can’t assign special significance to a single insignificant match and then say “yeah, but this one is important.”

If people are climbing to the top of the leagues without being prepared to go to the next level then 1. That’s a problem with the rest of the league system not the ranking match, and 2. Making people lose 200 or 150 or whatever it is now points if they lose a ranking match does NOTHING to help. It delays 50% of people, at random, from crossing into the next league while (at random) allowing 50% through. Nothing about that one match tells me that the people who win are more qualified than the people who lose because there is no control in who they get matched up against.

1 Like

Yeah, the amount of points that Killers lose when losing to Killers is pretty ridiculous; you lose more points than if you lose to a Bronze player, and it makes climbing out of having Zero points at any given time a real chore.