Can we keep the KI theme references to a minimum?

In references to the character themes can we give it a bit of a rest? I mean so far it’s in Sadira’s theme, which was nice because everybody else in season 1, well, aside from Jago, had their classic theme hidden in their stage music, & she had nothing. But then there was Hisako, Aganos, Kan-ra, even Cinder for some reason, & now Rash even though he could honestly have just used the battletoads 8-bit theme for his ‘hidden theme’. I would have added Aria, but with her being the “boss” so to speak, it makes sense on her stage. But all total that nearly half the cast!! As much as I love the KI theme, it’s getting to the point that its inclusion in every new character’s theme is seeming more lazy than a cool nod. I would much rather hear a new take on old themes or new tracks that are equally awesome with the hidden themes referencing the old themes in season 3, instead of the KI theme again but in Halo style, & then again & again for whatever other new music styles they come up with for new characters. Like with Tusk for example: handle it in similar fashion to Spinal: a new theme with plenty of nods to his classic theme, & then a variation of his original theme as the ‘hidden theme’. & for a new character: something completely new all throughout.

Orchid’s and Kim’s have it too. But there’s nothing wrong with it imo.

EDIT:
According to Mick Gordon it can be found in EVERY theme.

I actually like it too

I just listened to Orchid’s…I guess I never noticed it at the start…but still, that’s just a quick nod, the rest of the theme is new with a remix of “K.I. Feeling” as her hidden music, it’s not the main feature of any part of her music. & a quick nod is fine…it kinda gives each character’s theme a KI stamp of approval of sorts, but when a large chunk of their theme busts out into the KI theme it seems more & more like it’s a placeholder because Mick was running out of ideas or at least couldn’t come up with something else within time restraints.

I dunno, maybe it was a side-effect of Mick trying to hurry up on season 2 so he could move on to other projects, but it does seem like it’s being a bit overused.

All the “slow” segments of our character’s themes reference back to the KI theme (or the character’s original theme if a returning one) in some way.

It’s just what we do.

13 Likes

Ok…fair enough. It’s mostly just a matter of personal preference. I’ve just really enjoyed the music, & as time goes by it just feels like some of them have been a bit lack-luster. I mean, Maya’s slow music…awesome. Riptor…the 1960’s monster movie style, also cool. But Kan-ra, Aganos, Cinder…to be frank to me they kinda sound phoned in. But I’ll give you guys the benefit of the doubt. It’s not like I could come up with anything better.

Most of the time it’s in the slow part of the theme, but Characters like Thunder have them built into the actual Theme, and is not noticeable sometimes.

I love hearing the KI theme as a leitmotif (look it up :smirk:) throughout characters’ stages. I actually didn’t know it was in there for literally everyone - just found out about Aganos’ yesterday.

I was like “is that Mediterranean KI theme? Sweet! :smile:

If you haven’t noticed it in every theme so far, you really have no room to complain…

Frodo543m
If you haven’t noticed it in every theme so far, you really have no room to complain…

I…um…what? I mean…really…what??? I’m sorry…what?

I’m having trouble wrapping my head around that statement…I say (which I framed as personal preference) that in my opinion ‘X’ number of times was enough, but according to you if I can’t hear ‘X + Y’…I have no reason to complain? How does that work?

All tracks sound awesome…especially Kanra, aganos and cinder theme… as you said… personally preference. Look forward to hearing the mixes in S3

1 Like

Kan-ra’s & Aganos’s KI themes to me sound really similar. I think they use a sitar on both? Some kind of guitar-like string instrument at least. It makes sense for them though since lore-wise they originate from a similar source.

Well; Cinder’s theme was like that because his original theme is pretty much his own classic theme rearranged with alot more added.

However I would not mind if they switced it up. I do kind of ecpect this to happen with new characters certainly.

1 Like

JEFFRON272m
Well; Cinder’s theme was like that because his original theme is pretty much his own classic theme rearranged with alot more added.

Yeah, but Spinal’s was done that way as well, & they still used “Ya Ha Ha” for his slow theme. Maya was the same with an added slow variant of her KI2 theme even though it was in the rest of her music.

Spinals theme had some degree of mix to it, but in the main theme I didn’t exactly hear alot of his original theme-song in the game. It wasn’t THAT close, save for the percussion. It’s similar in SPIRIT but not in flesh if that makes any since.

Basically, if the fight theme is different enough for the classic character’s theme, then a slow remix of the original works all fine and dandy.

Cinder is basically trailblazer but with added notes and new stuff done, save for a few parts it’s very, VERY close to his original theme. It’s similar in spirit and flesh. But it’s certainly one of the best themes in the game in my opinion. Hell I picked the stage on purpose more often than not. Ask my bro he’s gotten tired of me picking it so much, lol.

Personally, I like Cinder’s slow theme, it’s kind of a neat break from the action, when I listein to the song during a work out or a walk, it’s a signal that it’s time to rest a bit before turning the heat up again.

That being said dude, I don’t expect this to change with the rest of the new characters, save maybe for the character select screen, like ARIA’s theme.

Now if Kim’s theme is different enough from her old theme we should have reason to expect that her classic remix could make it as a remix.

As for Tusk it’s the same thing.

Now for the new cast, maybe use the character select screen or maybe a remix of Killer Groove would work out.

JEFFRON2714m
Spinals theme had some degree of mix to it, but in the main theme I didn’t exactly hear alot of his original theme-song in the game. It wasn’t THAT close, save for the percussion. It’s similar in SPIRIT but not in flesh if that makes any since.

They use it for his high-combo music. I played Spinal’s so much when it came out my 1-year-old at the time started humming it all the time…so much so that we made his Haloween costume Spinal when he was 2. He loved it.

& as an added bonus, later at some point we had watched Pirates of the Caribbean & when it got to the skeleton pirate scene, where normally you would think a kid would be freaked out by it, he loved that scene & wanted to watch it over & over to see the ‘Spinal pirates’. All because Spinal’s theme was so awesome.

2 Likes

This^^ I loved the 2 different versions of the select screen music for the classics. Simple, good transitional pieces and can be built upon easily too. Great idea for mixing things up a little, but staying true to the heritage.

Another suggestion could be to use the later parts of the KI theme, the part that comes after the first few bars of the original solo. You know, the part with the pitched harmonic sustains in the solo?

I like them. The theme seems to sound different every time. Cinder’s has a different feel, the bit in Shago’s is different. I see no indication of it changing, and I’m happy with that. Looking forward to the S3 themes.

Lol nice.

For his combo music sure, but I said it was similar in spirit. Meaning that if you were not putting out high-combos and so on and were just moving around the stage, that is what I’m aiming at specifically. That particular set of notes playing makes up a huge chunk of his theme, so it makes sense that his classic theme can play when you just stand there.

In Cinder’s stage if you were just running and jumping around what you had playing was basically Cinder’s old theme. It’s already there and it already makes up such a huge chunk of his theme.

That is my favorite part of KI’s main theme, it’s the part of the song that just really hits the peak for me. I’d certainly appreciate it.

If you’re complaining about not wanting Season 3 themes to have the main KI theme in it, and you didn’t know that the main theme was in every one so far, you don’t have room to talk because you’re not really listening well enough to critizise.