Books!

So guys, I found a book for $3 at a gas station, and I got to thinking; other people like books too, right?
I’m curious; what are your favorite books?
Me, I’m partial to old school Sci fi and fantasy, as well as a bit of horror. Among my favorites are:
-Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton
-Forgotten Realms/The Chronicles of Drizzt Do’Urden, by R.A. Salvatore
-The Battle Circle, by Piers Anthony
-Lost on Venus, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
-Cujo, by Stephen King
-And Another Thing…, by Douglas Adams
-Journey to the Centre of the Earth, by Jules Vern

Those seem like some good examples of some literature I enjoy. How about you dudes?

1 Like

Oh man I love Sphere by Michael Crichton. It’s honestly one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. I recently read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro for a class and I liked it, so that’s fresh in my mind. oh I also really like Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. The story was ok, it was more because I really like how it was narrated that its stuck with me. Back in High School (like 5 years ago?) I read the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudy Canavan, and I liked that alot as well. There’s like a prequel and sequel trilogy I never got around to reading. But yea. Sphere is awesome. Lol. I don’t read as much as I used to but still. Hopefully someday I get back into it.

Oh man I read that too! It was a series right? I liked that a bunch, it was really cool.

(This is like my third edit lol)
I just looked it up, I read the Dark Elf Trilogy, none of the others unfortunately. But yea. Good stuff…

1 Like

The entire Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, anything written by Michael Crichton (I’ve read them all), The Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and The Hunger Games. If you can’t already tell, I’m a big book-to-movie buff. :smile:

I’ve also read most of the books featuring the iconic dark elf, Dirzzt do’ Urden - they’re good (props to R. A. Salvatore), but they’re not among my favorites.

1 Like

Recently read:

Great Singers on Great Singing
The Rock N’ Roll Singers Survival Manual
Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob who Did Good
From Masher to Master (still reading)

1 Like

I went through a Michael Crichton phase a while back. Loved his stuff. I read Jurassic Park, Rising Sun, The Andromeda Strain, Sphere, Congo, A Case of Need, The Great Train Robbery, The Terminal Man, Eaters of the Dead and I’m pretty sure I read Disclosure as well.

Of those, I’d say that A Case of Need was my favorite, followed by Sphere, Rising Sun and Jurassic Park. Eaters of the Dead was also really good, especially if you like Beowulf, as I believe it’s directly inspired by it, if I’m not mistaken.

But yeah, A Case of Need was top notch and Sphere was amazing. He was an awesome writer, for sure.

I’ve also read the Song of Ice and Fire books up through A Dance with Dragons recently. George R.R. Martin’s writing style, to me, is phenomenal. Some of the best writing I’ve ever read and one of the most thoroughly realized worlds I’ve ever had the pleasure to dive in to through five books. If you love the Game of Thrones TV show, I can’t recommend the books enough!

Other stuff:

Snow Wolf - By Glen Meade: Probably my all time favorite book. Just a great suspense novel.

The Branch Will Not Break - By James Wright. My favorite poetry collection. It’s postmodern with an almost naturalistic or even ethereal mixture of Emerson.

The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes - By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I LOVE a good mystery. These are some of the best.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - By Neil Gaiman. A shorter read, but enjoyable. A nice sort of otherworldly story, kinda like a modern-ish fairy tale that might get me in to reading more by him. Good stuff.

I’ve also listened to some good books on tape recently. Love to do that in the car. Keeps me calm while driving to and from work.

Ready Player One - By Ernest Cline. A lot of what the story references tend to be a little before my time, but it’s still a great story that I’d recommend to any gamer, any fan of 80’s pop culture or just anyone looking for a fun read.

“Cuckoo’s Calling” and “The Silkworm” by Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling. Again, love a good mystery, and Rowling does a great job with her two main characters and the mysteries in each book. Definitely psyched for the third book, which comes out October 20th and the upcoming BBC series for the Cormoran Strike (the main character) mysteries.

1 Like

What are these books people speak of. I do not know. All I know is that they are pieces of paper together with words on them. I do not see why when videos and video games are a thing.:slight_smile: Well I enjoy the Hunger Games trilogy. I also enjoy the Ranger’s Apprentice the Alex Rider series also entertains me every now and then.

College Books. That’s all I can say. :confused:

1 Like