Are we going to actually see KI at EVO next year?

Season 4 is very likely IMO. The game is upgrated in so many ways. We have new UI,new lightings,new mode, pc expansion ,we even have a new forum.I dont think all those are for a game that is about to die in a few months. IMO we have at least one more season.

Has EVO been advertised amongst the KI community I know most competitive players are already aware of the tournament but what about the wider community? Itā€™s funny before I even bought an XB1/KI I didnā€™t think the game was very popular as I heard very little about it until I saw videos of the KI tournament at EVO last year. That got me into this game and made me want to buy an XB1 to play it.

EVO is advertised among the community. The issue is more just that most KI players arenā€™t tournament goers by and large. KI brought in a lot of new FG people from what Iā€™ve seen, and because we werenā€™t ever a part of the tourney scene before and KI has such phenomenal netcode, a lot of us just never got into that tournament mindset.

I actually donā€™t even really care anymore - I enjoy this game and Iā€™ll continue playing the heck out of it, whether or not itā€™s at EVO or random tournament X. Iā€™m sick of all the negativity and consistent moaning around whether or not KI is ā€œdeadā€ or not. Some of the most consistent tourney players are the main purveyors of all that negativity, and Iā€™m just done indulging it.

What will be will be. Iā€™ll keep playing KI anyway.

2 Likes

In my (very limited) experience, EVO isnā€™t necessarily the best tournament to try and make it ours.

I come from SG, and EVO just wasnā€™t panning out for them. SG instead has kind of embraced Combobreaker as their tournament. Enough so that people who can only afford one tournament a year often save up for Combobreaker instead of EVO.

Maybe KI needs to pick a different tournament if they arenā€™t getting EVO love. Thatā€™s not to say we should ignore EVO, but rather maybe we should prioritize it less. EVO is at its core always going to be mostly a SF/Smash tournament.

itā€™s a good point, itā€™s one thing for people on these forums to post EVO threads, but like any game, there will be tons of players that care less about going online to talk and learn about their favorite game.

I bet, if the devs showed EVO some love and plugged it every once in a while in our nifty title screen news feed, awareness would shoot up.

Or at least, mention it in the twitter feeds and the homepage like they do for 8bb and the KI World Cup

1 Like

I wonder if increase in prize money would help.

For example, imagine if the top 15 looked like this:

1 = 125000
2 = 75000
3 = 50000
4 = 25000
5 = 15000
6 = 10000
7 = 5000
8, 9, 10 = 2500
11-15 = 1000

Would that entice more good players, to take a chance and travel for these competitions?

On the off chance that you are able to beat one of hte pros (cause you are near that level, but maybe not quite there yet), you got a shot at some major cashā€¦

prize money will help, but alot of the problem is traveling and the time necessary to get good enough to take on the lifers/pros. ill never go to a tournament myself because i just dont have the space in my HDD to download the T.I.M.E patch.exe lol.plus plane tickets, room/board, isnt cheap.i think alot of people are in situations similar to mine

Especially if you have to travel internationally.

O agreedā€¦but iā€™m thinking of those who are close.

You know? in StarCraft 2 terms. People who are Masters or bottom of Grand Masters, but not the tournament players.

They MAY be able to compete with some of the pros and squeeze into a top 20 or soā€¦

that type of crowd in the FGC is what KI needs.

You canā€™t tell me, SF and MK; all those people are pros? most are probably people who just want to go and have fun.

KI has a large fan base, iā€™m guessing, but mainly people like me. Spend money on content, but play a few times/week.

While i would fly to LA if i could get into an early screening of Captain America Civil War, i probably wouldnā€™t go to Evo, etc.

Sucks I can only make it to North West Majors and Combo Breaker. Canā€™t afford to make evo and my stupid work made friday, saturday and sundays black out days until september 25th )X

Actually yeah a good 99% of people who place highly in mkx tourneys tend to dedicate most if not all their free time to MK and or fighting games and take them very seriously. But it is still very fun to them of course other wise they wouldnā€™t do it