Are we as a community still great is it used to be?

Is it just me or has the community changed? A year ago, I would’ve said that people should get KI because we have one fo the best communities in fighting games as a selling point. This definitely used to be true. Positive, respectful discussion happened all the time and people helped out new players all the time. Now? I don’t really see that. Most threads are now “(insert character)'s ultimate sucks…” or “I don’t like this so it must be changed.” Remember when the Shago community fundraised 100,000$ in 3 days and everyone was excited? Same thing with Kilgore and everyone complained how he was 10$? Both are remixes of the popular characters. Shin HIsako? CLONE!!! It could be just me that is seeing things though but if something did change, what exactly happened and how can we change back to what we used to be?

7 Likes

I see it too. Makes me sick how people talk smack and then act like we’re the problem when we defend a game.

8 Likes

I think it’s because more people got involved to be honest. Back during the days of S1-2 there weren’t as many people playing or actively involved in the community so you didn’t get that great a diversity of opinions.

Now with S3 you have an increased number of players from who knows where and they’re offering their opinions of the game and they compare it to the game they played prior to coming here.

Mind you this mere speculation on my part but that’s just what I think happened, no real downfall just change of scenery so to speak.

5 Likes

Honestly, @Sasuke99I, I think it can be a little dangerous for a community to be so introspective. How many times have we seen people ask about the community or the game in such a way?

Now, don’t get me wrong, you’re a good guy and I’m not putting you down for posting the topic by ANY means. Especially because I think it’s a perfectly valid question that you’re asking (not that you need my validation by any stretch of the imagination lol).

But I think that when we’re in down times of the news / content cycle, and this is probably one of the lowest of times since the game was first announced, where KI cup is far into the rearview mirror, some pros seem to be leaving or talking about leaving, there isn’t a ton of communication from MS or IG in terms of the future and we have no clue what could be coming after the final character…

The more we look inward, the more we focus on how things used to be and compare them to THIS specific time now, I think it’s all too easy to see some drop off, some dissatisfaction, discontentment, nervousness, etc start to creep in and it can be all too easy for some to worry about a community or a game that could be in decline, which is why I wonder about this kind of introspection.

I mean, how accurate is that sentiment “things were better before” anyways? How much of it is just a product of where we’re at right now and how much of it is a true indication of where the community’s heading? How would this point in time actually compare to other down parts of the cycle, say before season 2 was announced and none of us had ever heard of IG, for example?

I think that with minimal news or future outlook, certain things inevitably surface or become bigger topics of conversation in the absence of more optimism generating news, such as frustration over the community, over bugs or long term issues or the game’s budget or lack of certain stages or character issues etc.

People take stock, and some of those people do so more often or more publically when they have something to get off their chest. Maybe there’s a little burn out behind this vibe, maybe they just want to keep the conversation going, who knows. Tough to say what everyone’s feeling, of course.

Either way, I think E3 will be very telling for where this community heads in the more immediate future. If they announce a new game or a 4th season, I could see spirits lifting a good deal and a lot more excitement within the community. I think that would help, even if they obviously can’t please everyone.

10 Likes

You have to remember though that this is an open forum. Loving every aspect of the game isn’t a requirement to be here. Those who dislike certain things deserve just as much of a voice as those who love it. And both sides should be respected equally.

From what I’ve seen here however, that isn’t the case. It seems that if you post anything negative about the game, you will be ganged up on. Me personally, I don’t care for the ultimates, but as soon as I post that I don’t, I immediately get ganged up on by a dozen or so folks even though I never once criticized their own opinions.

It has changed, certainly not for the better but also not for the worse. I would say that being in the minority hurts more and that if your opinion differs from others, you may be singled out. I hate bringing this up, but Geek was one of those people with a colorful opinion. Sure he always thought he was right, but he certainly added value to a discussion so it wasn’t totally one-sided. Though, I have come to terms as to why he had to be removed from our forums. Nonetheless, it shows.

If you say, “I hate ultimates” vs “I love ultimates” it will show. Nowadays discussions consist little of the formula that made discussions great and more about the definition of discussions, insinuating remarks, disagreements that go off in tangents and memes. It lost the feeling of discussing topics without resorting to bickering or to weird replies that don’t justify their response but are intended for a reaction or response.

Granted, not all threads are like that, if anything it is just a vocal minority that adds the thick red paste to an otherwise normal topic. But it can be heard, moreover, our patience seems to have run thin. Take the LCD thread, I’m sure everyone is justified in their post, but was it truly necessary? The dude removed the video and retracted his statements and essentially disappeared, but it goes on.

I don’t mean to exaggerate or to bring the community down, we are still the best. We are all smart and informed individuals with wonderful opinions that happen to clash with one another. Though, if done right, it is healthy. If done wrong, than it becomes toxic. Just a matter of filtering and creating more positivity to add balance.

5 Likes

This is actually a very good point. We are in a time where we don’t really know the future of KI.[quote=“Iago407, post:4, topic:20326”]
I mean, how accurate is that sentiment “things were better before” anyways? How much of it is just a product of where we’re at right now and how much of it is a true indication of where the community’s heading? How would this point in time actually compare to other down parts of the cycle, say before season 2 was announced and none of us had ever heard of IG, for example?
[/quote]

I haven’t actually been here since Season 1 and only came midway during Season 2 so I can’t really say anything on that.[quote=“Iago407, post:4, topic:20326”]
I think that with minimal news or future outlook, certain things inevitably surface or become bigger topics of conversation in the absence of more optimism generating news, such as frustration over the community, over bugs or long term issues or the game’s budget or lack of certain stages or character issues etc.
[/quote]

^true.[quote=“fuzzd0rk, post:5, topic:20326”]
You have to remember though that this is an open forum. Loving every aspect of the game isn’t a requirement to be here. Those who dislike certain things deserve just as much of a voice as those who love it. And both sides should be respected equally.
[/quote]

Never said it wasn’t. Being an open forums is a great thing that can easily go wrong. Loving every aspect isn’t necessary. Also part of the change as well. If you don’t care about the ultimates, that is perfectly fine. Let’s keep that in the other thread and not here though. We can also take this to PM’s as well.[quote=“oTigerSpirit, post:6, topic:20326”]
It has changed, certainly not for the better but also not for the worse. I would say that being in the minority hurts more and that if your opinion differs from others, you may be singled out. I hate bringing this up, but Geek was one of those people with a colorful opinion. Sure he always thought he was right, but he certainly added value to a discussion so it wasn’t totally one-sided. Though, I have come to terms as to why he had to be removed from our forums. Nonetheless, it shows.
[/quote]

I do agree that Geek did add a great deal of discussion to the forums. I am not too sure if the community changed for the worse. It can feel like it at times though. It’s probably because the amount of negativity remained the same while positivity decreased due to this being one of the game’s lowest points in news.[quote=“oTigerSpirit, post:6, topic:20326”]
If you say, “I hate ultimates” vs “I love ultimates” it will show. Nowadays discussions consist little of the formula that made discussions great and more about the definition of discussions, insinuating remarks, disagreements that go off in tangents and memes. It lost the feeling of discussing topics without resorting to bickering or to weird replies that don’t justify their response but are intended for a reaction or response.
[/quote]

Definitely. I think if the discussions stopped being about “I’m right and you are wrong.” and start to be more like “I disagree with you and here is why.”, things would be better. [quote=“oTigerSpirit, post:6, topic:20326”]
I don’t mean to exaggerate or to bring the community down, we are still the best. We are all smart and informed individuals with wonderful opinions that happen to clash with one another. Though, if done right, it is healthy. If done wrong, than it becomes toxic. Just a matter of filtering and creating more positivity to add balance.
[/quote]

Yeah.

1 Like

I was just using my own personal experience as an example of what I see happen here. The intention wasn’t meant to turn this an ultimate love/hate thread.

Oh ok. Sorry about that. I think it might be more about the way the criticism is presented?

Just got to keep telling myself:

“Pressure creates diamonds.”

Gotta stay positive.

4 Likes

And another thing people aren’t constructive enough to even give an opinion, they’ll just talk smack and expect us to like what they say otherwise we’re the villians for responding to an opinion that we don’t like.

Basic a-- b–ches.

3 Likes

It was bad enough that we had trolls cry “x is op!”, now we gotta deal with people throwing dirt on the devs over ultimates and not say s-it in their defense?!

If you ask me, that’s bulls-it and I refuse to not disagree with someone’s “opinion”.

1 Like

The community is bigger than what it used to be. You’re gonna have a few bad apples.

6 Likes

Facts.

It has changed more or less I see more admittedly people who want to spit and spat and want to express opinion but get mad when people disagree. People forget that you can have opinions but people have just as much of a right to argue against it.

Not many people are as civil in their conversations as they used to be. That’ relaly my issue. Not nessecerily the people complaining it’s the people that while they also complain, they get mad when someone disagrees. That is a big face-palm.

The biggest one though, I can recognize when people say what they say because they want to improve the game, but when you start insult the devs and have non-helpful manner. I also see that people who have trouble with the game are simply not seeking help from other forum members. We have people who posted info on how to do stuff and hell even @infil who is one of the biggest contributors to helping people improve and instead of doing this people would just want a feature they have not yet learned how to deal with removed.

The issue I think, isn’t the fact that people who dislike the game. The people who do dislike the game yet manage to be civil in discussion, those people are fine. Those who do have issues with the game but are not able to discuss civilly, those are the people you see that are getting buggerd.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s really a difference. For the last 3 years it always seems like there’s gonna be one particular ■■■-hole every few months who’ll make a bunch of pointless threads about his (or her) complaints in a barely constructive or reasonable matter, leading to other members to point the problems, then enraging that particular nut into attacking certain members viciously if challenged, gets suspended for a few days, repeats the whole cycle until that person either leaves by getting permanently banned or doesn’t bother anymore.

At least from I’ve read on certain toxic members who did got the permanent ban.

3 Likes

You make a pretty good point there…

If ya think about it, I remember when KI was still in the works and people were throwing ■■■■■ fits about it. One guy said KI would Dead On Arrival because Orchid’s ■■■■■ were not big enough and these same people posted repeatedly before they finally left.

1 Like

Yeah atleast we’re not among these groups. the Halo community is very toxic indeed.

Yeah I’m not sure what they are going for by doing this. Even the devs will only take feedback that is constructive.

Good Metaphor right there. [quote=“JEFFRON27, post:16, topic:20326”]
It has changed more or less I see more admittedly people who want to spit and spat and want to express opinion but get mad when people disagree. People forget that you can have opinions but people have just as much of a right to argue against it.

Not many people are as civil in their conversations as they used to be. That’ relaly my issue. Not nessecerily the people complaining it’s the people that while they also complain, they get mad when someone disagrees. That is a big face-palm.
[/quote]

Yeah I think this stems form the fear of being wrong. That is one of the worse things about the infromation age.

1 Like

Yeah I think this stems form the fear of being wrong. That is one of the worse things about the infromation age.
[/quote]

Thank god we are not the Halo Community

4 Likes