Am I only want Playtonic make new KI?

Just because they’re ex-Rare people doesn’t mean they would produce a fighting game that would stand up to scrutiny.

For instance, the original Killer Instinct didn’t have any throws because they thought “throws were cheap”.

Yeah…

At the time that would actually make sense…most AI back then did make throwing cheap. I know in MK2 the AI could throw you while you were in the active frames of an uppercut…it was insane how cheap devs back then made throwing…then came SF3, and that all changed.

Not really, though. The problem is a lack of throws would NEVER make sense in any playably-sound fighting game (i.e. any game based off of the Street Fighter II mould).

Fighting games in general operate off of a very basic principle of rock-paper-scissors.

Blocking beats hits.
Hits beat throws.
Throws beat blocking.

Basically an overly simplistic summary, and there definitely tends to be some exceptions in how and where this is applied, but that’s basically the foundation.

Guess what happens when you take away one of those three things.

KI1 became a turtle-fest because there were very few options to open up someone who was down-backing, outside of most of the characters’ slow as hell overheads. The game was supposedly about combos, but at higher levels the game became the exact opposite of what they tried to market it as.

Sure, the game was alright if you were just shooting the crap with the CPU, or a couple of friends were randomly messing around together in Vs. (at a time where there was no online multiplayer), but when there was two people who actually knew what they were doing, or anyone started playing at an upper-mid to high level, the game’s neutral went to crap.

The game had other problems, but that one example highlights the flawed philosophy behind it.

then i would say; microsoft give them a bigger budget / team.
just saying they did a great job on the different characters.
no character looks the same, feels the same, has the same moves,…
and still is a pretty balanced game. props for that.
of course i want ultimates and stages for every one.
maybe we should adress microsoft to give IG a bigger budget to make it possible.
back on the topic; dont think that playtonic would do a better job than IG on making KI.

You’re in very good company so you can count me in now on that :wink: :grin:

Why did you revive this thread?! I don’t like this thread anymore because it make me cringe… I shouldn’t make thread… -__-

Well basically because as the old saying goes, “Two minds think alike” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If Playtonic wanted to do a new fighting game in the spirit of KI they would have my full support, but I’m happy with the job DH and IG has done reworking the franchise.

1 Like

I would ■■■■■■’ LOVE a donkey kong game from @TheKeits