A wrestler for KI - Part 3

KI don’t have a wrestler yet. Ultratech can have a muscle in their team. Being a rival to TJ Combo would fit.

The WWE can be the pop culture for it mixed with Bane.

Thing is, mundane fighters are kinda out of place in KI. Wrestlers (and MMA fighters, for that matter) are very mundane. You would have to add that wrestler an “otherworldly” attribute. All the human characters in KI each have some supernatural or technologically-enhanced attributes thrown into their mix. Instead of opting for the “wrestler” trope, why not give the “grappler” moveset of a wrestler to a brutish creature / hybrid / superhuman character?

1 Like

Well adding supernatural or technologically enhanced or mutation alteration can fit into a wrestler.

Like Bane with the venom that boosts his strength.

2 Likes

More than that though.

TJ Combo isn’t just a character with an American Boxing style of fighting. He’s an ode to Rocky Balboa/Apollo Creed style Boxing characters of the 80’s.

Jago isn’t just a character with an Asian ninjitsu/shaolin monk style of fighting. He’s an ode to all those old school 70’s and 80’s Ninja movies from the past.

Same with Orchid (femme fatale), or Thunder (Stoic Native American Warrior). All characters in KI are based on some kind of pop/culture icon.

ARIA - sultry metropolis robo chick
KanRa - Not-a-Mummy
Maya - Amazonian
To name a few.

(And yes I realize the guest characters don’t exactly fit this message.)

If a wrestling character were added it can’t be based on characters from fighting games or a specific type of wrestling or just have super humanpowers (although those can be added). It’s literally gotta be an ode to an ICON from the past. Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant or Macho Man Randy Savage. Heck Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Undertaker even.

He/she may fit then.

Now this is all my own opinion so if you disagree, flay me like Kan Ra flays a nice marinated BBQ soul… Love you all

winkity wink

There are like… a LOT of WWE wrestlers to choose from for this character to be based. From males, a WWE wrestler. From female, a WWE diva.

In Marvel there are strong guys like Hulk, The Thing, Abomination, Red Hulk, She-Hulk.

In DC, there is Bane.

For a male wrestler, which would you all go for it to be based on?

• Kane
  • Undertaker
  • Triple H
  • Stone Cold Steve Austin
  • Big Show
  • Santino Marella
  • The Miz
  • Michael Cole
  • Vince McMahon
  • Brodus Clay
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dean Ambrose
  • John Cena
  • Sin Cara
  • Macho Man
  • Roman Reigns
    etc.

Or for a female wrestler?

• Paige
  • Nikki Bella
  • Brie Bella
  • Trish Stratus
    etc.

King (Rey Mysterio)
Bass Armstrong (Hulk Hogan)

They can have an evil wrestler in KI working with Ultratech or another company. Unlike TJ looking for redemption after being used by Ultratech, the wrestler being banned from the ring looking for blood, seeks revenge and prove that he’s the best and the strongest of all.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. KI covers as much pop culture tropes as possible. Perhaps the most “otherworldy” wrestling icon would be the Undertaker. Something like a hulking gravedigger that consumes human souls and raises the dead would certainly fit into KI.

1 Like

Doesn’t Eagle have wrestler training according to Thunder’s bio?
So… There you go.

1 Like

See that sounds awesome!

I got no problem with wrestling being a character’s fighting style. In not so great words I guess what I’m trying to get at is that the pop culture trope/iconic characterization should take precedent over the fighting style. Start with the icon, and if that icon just so happens to be a wrestler, then go bawls to the walls nuts with wrestling moves.

And to answer Kamenriderzer02’s question, Undertaker ALL the way!

Great ideas bois/gurls!

I think they mentioned Eagle was MMA. Mix of several different fighting styles, and that he was a REEEAAAALLLY good fighter. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Neither do I. There is a difference between a character with wrestling techniques and a plain wrestler. The first one goes well with KI, the second not so much.

There was once a planned WWE game with reimagined wrestlers sporting fantasy-like / sci-fi-esque designs that would fit KI a lot better. Check out the Undertaker design among them:
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/screens/wwe-brawl-concept-art.htm

1 Like

Eagle is MMA to me.

1 Like

Saw the Undertaker.

But what of a female wrestler since Tina Armstrong of DOA?

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/screens/kof14-team-mexico.htm

Maybe they can do a female based on Paige? Unless the goth is already taken in Mira.

Again, if you’re just going for the character itself and not their fighting style, “plain wrestler” - be it male or female - just won’t do. They may fit well in other games, but not KI.

1 Like

I don’t know if there’s a really iconic female wrestler (my opinion obviously… Maybe the Great Moolah?). I know a lot of popular ones… meh I could be wrong.

What if they based a female character off an iconic male wrestler though. Like a female Andre the Giant? Or a female Stone Cold Steve Austin?

I agree. That’s why it’s so hard to compare KI to other fighting games like DOA and Street Fighter when it comes to character design (ie: making a wrestling type character)

This is where, I believe, Street Fighter and Killer Instinct are polar opposites.

When it comes to good character design from both franchises:

• Street Fighter is about a character grown out of a fighting style.

• Killer Instinct is about a fighting style grown out of a character.

KI isn’t KI when it’s building its characters around their fighting style instead of who they are. Again this is all my own opinion. You can totally disagree, but that’s why I like KI so much…

K I realize I’m now just ranting and raving and going totally off topic… sorry Kamenriderzer02…

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better.
KI is all about the tropes - the characters themselves - not the fighting styles.
In SF, Tekken, etc., you can pit a “sumo wrestler” against a “capoeira fighter” or a “muay thai” fighter against a “sambo wrestler” and see which comes out the winner, whereas in KI you pit a “robot” against a “dinosaur”, an “alien” against a “werewolf” to see which comes out on top.

1 Like

I have the perfect quote for this subject! Theodore Roosevelt said it best in Futurama:

“Man boxing a kangaroo is a peculiar spectacle. But a kangaroo boxing a robot? Now I’m afraid you’ve lost me…”
“CITIZEN SNNNNIIIIIPPPPSSS!!!”

1 Like

While RAMM is KINDA the wrestler in gameplay. I’m afraid we won’t be seeing a guy like this in KI because RAAM already has that slot.

Though if not for RAAM would be interesting to see what could of been brought. I would suggest maybe a character that doesn’t “normal” like these characters do. (well save for Hulk and that weird red dude, if they looked like that I’d be up for a wrestler big time)

Forget RAAM! He was a bad choice to me!

Bring on a REAL wrestler!

TJ’s DNA got altered due to the bionics. I’m sure we’ll get a wrestler who’ll get vicious drugs for mutation too.

Well unless te guy can brin some new t the table we technically will have 2 grapplers.Hate to say it, but RAAM’s the guy who’s the grappler/wrestler type.