A suggestion for a TJ buff

Because Aganos exists, whose auto doubles show the same two frames of animation throughout the entirety of the move.

1 Like

I still donā€™t see how TJ is not easy to break. Heā€™s like one of three characters in the game that i can break with 90% success rate. The only times i ever lock out are when i decide to guess break a juggle or something. Also Iā€™m not saying instinct isnā€™t good, just that no one has done anything to put fear of it in me. Itā€™s always just a sigh of relief not having to worry about last breath.

1 Like

So, you get hit by TJ and you see the first hit of a fierce auto-double.

What do you do? Break fierce? Wait to see if auto-barrage comes and let an auto-double slip past you? Lock out if youā€™re wrong, or wait and let him add up a ton of potential damage?

Take a chance. Or as keits said ā€œJust do it and see what happens.ā€

1 Like

I wait and see if the TJ iā€™m fighting is the kind that goes straight for autobarrage or avoids it like the plague and then use that knowledge to break later combos. From my experience very few TJs actually mix it up, they either barrage or they donā€™t. Only one I can think of that does consistently mix it up is pro death and heā€™s the only TJ that actually gives me a hard time.

1 Like

The main point is, thatā€™s a decision you donā€™t have to make against any other character. You see fierce auto-double, you just break it. The opponent canā€™t mix you up within the combo like TJ can, in addition to all his other tools (juggle linkers, advantage ender, etc). Plus he still has regular auto-doubles and can still counter break you if he really wants.

Maybe the TJ players you typically play against donā€™t use all these tools well, but that isnā€™t a statement about the character himself, which is what I was mentioning.

1 Like

Now that you mention counter breakersā€¦I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a TJ counter break an auto barrage at any point in time.

So the roll is 25 frames, in instinct itā€™s 19. So only two frames shorter then omenā€™s shadow form. So Iā€™m guessing his instinct gives me a 24% speed buff across almost all his recovery grounded moves?

Really? Itā€™s pretty common. Thrashheavy is good for doing this in tournament, and if you ever run into Pro Death online and break his barrages youā€™ll eventually see him pull out a counter attempt.

Yeah, Iā€™ve never seen it done. I almost could call it a mth. But then again, there are many things people donā€™t do (myself included).

But why should the habits of grossly suboptimal players who donā€™t understand the mechanic be a part of this conversation at all? Thatā€™s kinda like saying that Jago needs neutral buffs because the Jago players online only ever do jump HP.

Do you fight many Jago players who counter-break their auto doubles on occasion? Try imagining what itā€™d be like if when they whiffed a counter breaker, instead of them being highly punishable, the combo just ended with them at +4. Kinda strong, huh? Thatā€™s barrage.

I disagree with you. I donā€™t think TJs instinct is that great. Flashy? Yes. But with the flipouts, I donā€™t need it at all. And, I like the psychological advantage of TJ having to be beaten twice. Secondly, I seem to really get serious after being revived, and have pulled off plenty of wins due to a combination of both factors. To each their own. I can tell you, that Iā€™ve beaten all of the best TJā€™s without it, and like you said, theyā€™ll pop instinct early but it just doesnā€™t seem necessary to me anymore. Season 2 TJ, thatā€™s a different story.

I mix it up just as good as well as instinct poppers without using it.

Well, youā€™re certainly free to disagree. But I want to pull this part out:

So first thought - while I donā€™t doubt that Last Breath is a heads up that maybe itā€™s time to ā€œget seriousā€, I would submit that as a player, you maybe shouldnā€™t need to get killed once to turn it up a notch. Trying to bank on ā€œthings just got realā€ as a comeback factor is, it seems to me at least, incredibly suboptimal. More to the point, I think not using his instinct in the first place is probably part of the reason you got killed to begin with, by robbing yourself of a chance to see the mix-up, to make a reversal safe, or to get in and kill the other guy before he took your second lifebar. Second thought is just that flipout, while fantastic, doesnā€™t really have anything to do with TJā€™s instinct at all. If youā€™re using flipout, youā€™re already in, and as you say TJ doesnā€™t need much assistance once heā€™s at that point. TJ popping instinct is about getting in, and staying in until youā€™ve opened them up again.

My old offer to run a set with you still stands - Iā€™m still curious to see your TJ in action. Maybe you can even make me rethink my take on saving his instinct for Last Breath. I highly doubt it, but hey, you never know.

I find tremors at range and smart use of them to get hard knock downs are a good way of getting in. More so than rapid speed of instinct. In fact, Iā€™ve beaten a lot of TJā€™s that I think might actually be better than me simply because I was able to get the right spacing to get hard knockdowns and get in safe.

Also, my justification for last breath is two part. You only addressed one. Iā€™m not a top player simply because I havenā€™t really spent the time yet on characters that have unconventional gimmicks that you must train against specifically for. KI has alot of gimmicks (And I no longer say this as a negative thing). In more conventional fighting games, you typically know where your opponent is going to be even if you are not familiar with their moveset. Not so in KI, MKX etc due to the teleporting and the unintuitive nature about what is punishable or not on whiffs. Iā€™m getting sidetracked now though.

Forgive me, but Iā€™m not sure I follow your ā€œtwo partā€ argument. I think the first part is just that generally, you feel TJ already has ways to get in, yes? But not following the second part, where youā€™re talking about not knowing where a character will be at a given moment. I donā€™t see how that relates to using instinct early or saving it for Last Breath. If you donā€™t know where your opponent is going to be, then you donā€™t know where theyā€™re going to be. I donā€™t think when you activate instinct has much bearing on that, so Iā€™m not seeing how thatā€™s a point in favor of saving it for Last Breath. I feel like Iā€™m misunderstanding your point/thought process.:slight_frown:

Thatā€™s why I was saying that my post got sidetracked. I was at a red light when I spoke to text there.

Oh, and the second part of my support for Last Breath was my opponents State of Mind when they have to kill me a second time. It does have an effect , believe it or not. Maybe not in your case, but in a large percentage of matches with good players they seem to lose a bit of morale when they have to finish me twice.

And to clarify what I was referencing earlier, I would say that my offense is just as good as any TJ that pops insinct at any time. My biggest weakness is my defense against KIā€™s very unique cast.

@SithLordEDP I think you may be confusing faults with TJ players for faults with TJ as a character.