The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

Yeah, I’m sure some time this week will work. :thumbsup:

1 Like

GG’s man thanks for taking the time. I still feel super lost in that MU.

1 Like

Exactly! Its like we all new it was coming… somewhere in the post …there was no way you could resist Geek. And thats sad. You should have just left it at that… everyone could decipher that you won without saying that you won every match.

GUYS! Guys. Guys…

I love Mira.

That is all. Sorry.

3 Likes

I suggest talking through it to be honest - we might be able to help address some of your issues with the fight better within a thread than within a set. For what it’s worth, I think you’re probably a lot less lost than you think you are.

What is it about the MU that’s throwing you off? What is it about it that makes you feel lost?

First of all like i already said, i do think this MU is pretty even, so don’t take anything i say as “i think hisako is op, pls nerf the ghost girl”.

I think my biggest problem is that i dont really know what to break, her combo structure kinda throws me off, idk what it is exactly. i guess its a combination of everything, the delayed AD, the stagger combos with wrath meter, comboability from her command grab etc. I guess i could kinda solve this problem with learning her animations in training mode that would probably help a lot.

Another thing that really throws me off is the commandgrab resets. i read somewhere i just have to hold up during the combos and i already felt this is probably a stupid idea, if you have the read on that. I was right with that, after the first time i jumped out of your reset, you started to hit me out of my pre-jump frames to reset the combo. Probs on that by the way, but i guess that’s pretty easy to do, right?

I was thinking about the games at work today and a general mistake i do on my opponents wake up, i commit with moves that have big recovery (e.g. command throw, overhead), i should go for more st.LK i guess.

In general it felt like you always had the better reads on me (e.g. jumping when i go for a command grab, using the counter when i hit you) and i think in the end this is what the MU is alot about. In my opinion its super rock-paper-scissor-esque. I know this analogy gets used a lot in fighting games for certain situations, but i feel like it describes the MU perfectly for me. Pls let me know if i’m wrong with that, i really hope it is :slight_smile:

I’m not feeling it with Mira. She’s fun, but not my play style. Risk/Reward is, but her moveset isn’t clicking for me. I don’t know. Maybe I’m playing her wrong?

Well it’s week 1 - tough to say that anyone is playing her “wrong”, per se.

Knowing what I know of your playstyle, I don’t see that she’s a good fit for you - but you might surprise me! I’d be happy to run some Mira mirrors if you’d like :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Marbledecker Whenever your Mira reaches a high enough level, I would like to fight you in a Maya vs Mira set for my channel. It will be awesome.

I had an awesome set with PaulB, but he didn’t want me to upload it :confused:

1 Like

That sounds fun! I’ll definitely let you know when she’s up to the task :smiley:

I have a decent Mira… if Im focused enough on my health. I dont know if I can beat a good Maya though… Maya is tough!

Lol. I’m sorry to say it, but yeah, Hisako’s whole gameplan kind of revolves around that feeling of rock-paper-scissors, except that she’s trying to make you feel like she’s always somehow got the exact move to beat you out. :slight_smile: Let’s address a few of the items in turn though.

First up, I think that playing against Hisako more consistently or taking her into training will bring your breaker game up to par. She’s got a bit of a reputation as being hard to break, but once you get used to her she’s not really all that different - and for the record you actually broke almost every delayed double that I did. I think you might be further along on this than you think.

I feel like this one is just kind of the games we play. Hisako’s really easy to bully on wakeup, but there are ways to go about the bullying. You actually tagged me a lot on my wakeup, much to my chagrin. The only things I’d add would be to maybe try incorporating neutral jumps on Hisako’s wakeup (though not entirely sure that’s ideal with how floaty Thunder’s jump is :confused:) and to try and vary your spacings a bit more. Where you’re standing will tell a lot of times which button you want to go for - max range is either overhead or command grab, close-mid is your cr.MK, and point blank is your st.LK. Play around with those spacings a bit and you’ll probably be able to bait out some incorrect counters.

And also, just accept that you’re fighting Hisako and will get countered at some point while pressuring me on wakeup. Whenever I managed to counter you on my wakeup, you’d instinctively go to a command grab on your next oki opportunity - don’t let Hisako subtly condition you in that manner.

Lol. Pretty sure I’m the one who told you to “just hold up” - it’s actually pretty solid advice against 90% of the Hisako’s you’ll run into online. While you’re correct that it isn’t hard to punish jump-outs once you’ve worked on it a bit, most Hisako’s haven’t worked on it, and will only know how to hit you with the command grab reset. More to the point, you don’t really have a choice in the matter - if you never jump out or otherwise avoid one of her command grab resets, then you’ll just keep getting tagged by them. Anyone I’ve played on these forums can probably attest to that - if you don’t avoid them, then I will just keep doing them. I think that’s true for most Hisako’s.

What you can do though, is actually backdash out of her resets. Appropriately mashed backdashes will avoid both influence resets and the cr.MK anti-jump reset. I don’t generally recommend that because I think it’s harder to pull off (at least on stick), and if your timing is off you’ll get tagged by whichever one I happened to do. If you can mash DP fast enough, that will also beat any reset attempts.

The thing is though, is that there are still counters to each of these items as well. If I know you DP while I’m comboing, maybe I’ll drop it into a counter instead (that one really puts someone on tilt). If I know you mash backdash, then I can just drop the combo into a raw ORZ. Or maybe, because you’re now super focused on avoiding all these different resets, I’ll instead just do super traditional combos into HKD ender to keep you in the vortex. After all, if you’re mashing DP you’re not breaking, and if you’re mashing backdash then your attention is slightly divided.

And that’s the rub. The resets aren’t just for damage - they also serve as a very important distraction to all the damage I’m doing within the traditional combo system. Essentially, good Hisako play (I think anyway) is a lot about just putting so many options out there for the opponent to think about that they’re a little slow on some of the fairly basic things that are happening around them. My advice is to kind of approach some of that stuff the way you approach Spinal’s mixups - make your guess and make your peace with it, and then deal with the aftereffects whatever they are. Sometimes you’ll get it right and sometimes you won’t, but keep playing your game.

And I think that’s probably accurate. But one of the ways I think opponents should regard this dynamic (which exists in every MU, but Hisako relies on), is that all that really means is that I guess better than you do. There are reasons for that, and there’s a lot of conditioning on my part that goes into making those guesses, but at the end of the day that’s all they are. Guesses. Hisako relies on guesses - on being able to dictate the pace of the match such that she has a decent idea at any given moment in time what the opponent wants to go for.

You can’t get away from that when fighting her, but you can use it against her. Disrespect her. Jump in with obvious telegraphed jump-ins and push buttons. Meaty her with the exact same button she just got done countering. Do all kinds of ridiculous nonsense that will have me saying “I don’t believe he just went for that”. If you play at a Hisako’s pace you will lose - sometimes you just have to kind of toss out absolute nonsense that makes me truly have to guess what it is you’re going to do next.

Sorry for rambling on so long :sweat_smile: Hope that helps!

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

GG to both @ZDhome and @MrProfDrPepper whom I had a few bouts with. The former used new S3 Omen tech that I’d never seen to beat me soundly, and the latter also had nice setups and juggles with Kim Wu that I had not seen yet either. GJ, guys! :wink:

3 Likes

Oops! I almost forget about ZDhome’s lobby!

GGS TO @RGLOfficial @ZDhome @MrProfDrPepper! My Tusk is madness! XD

2 Likes

I’d like to send out a special GG out to a random I met in exhibition who knew how to put out - @StiloLA323. His Omen was a spectacular challenge for my Aganos in our mutually, but silently, understood 1st-to-10 set (which he won, 10-1-9; and yes - we had a double KO tie). He used frametraps, throw resets, projectile pressure, grounded heavy normals, shadowport, and shadow meter lockouts all to incredibly great, and dangerous, effect. It’s rare that I see a good Omen, much less a great one such as this. His talent and knowlege of the character is the best I’ve seen thus far - bar none (yes, even you @ZDhome; sorry). My hat’s off to you, @StiloLA323.

“An omen of evil and despair has cast its vile shadow upon the mountain, and though the mountain resisted with great strength of will and determination, it was only a matter of time before it was eventually brought down to its knees and the walls before it laid bare and left in absolute ruin.”

Thanks man, really appreciate the help. Lots of useful information in that post.

Especially the part what buttons i use at what range, that was really an eye opener really gonna have a look at that.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!!! I need someone play with me before Combo Breaker because I need more practice with Kan-Ra and Arbiter! Only pro player!

@BrandXplus - Might I request having a go at your Hisako? I hear good things :smiley:

1 Like

GG to @DulXboxOne and @RGLOfficial for last night fights. It was great.
Thank you for welcoming beginners :slight_smile:

3 Likes