Stream before trailer, takes the hype away from trailer?

But I would never call you a sheep. :blush:

So equally the other half of the community don’t want to be know as complainers lol. Or just negative. Lol

We are one community and often we all know we are commenting on finer details that are not essential to game play (witch IG for me never has faulted on)

But hey we are all important.

Like you agreed 110% we are all big fans and all LOVE this game. If we keep that in mind when we read the concerns of others it helps us manage each others feelings a little more.

Entitled, complainers, negative, hater

#Vs

Sheep, believers, loyalists, fanboy

Should never sum up our opinions of this game right?

I mean I’m sure if we hated it we wouldn’t waste as much time here, discussing and making friends? (And darn good friends I feel I’ve made)

What about words like:

Positive, optermistic, trusting, content, pedantic, perfectionist, hungry, invested, impassioned, impovement.

I think they sum up both sides of the coin better.

3 Likes

It’s OK we may have to RESPECT (even tho we have none for each other *what bitc’hes we are LOLZ) that we are probably far too simular LOL.

I agree totally with your comments.

Without everyone on this forum KI would be a poorer place… and even that guy that msg every day where gargos is lol. Even if I don’t agree with some things I always know at heart that we need each and everyone of us!!

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

This attitude could save gaming.

3 Likes

S.od everyone else :wink: Fam 1st! Haha!

We all forget it at some points, I guess that’s the whole point of a family!

We do make each other better. Even if that infuriates us.

As @MandrillManiac said “evolve or die make your choice.” Sometimes I think that’s true of these hardcore communities.

Let’s argue / understand / stand united

“KI4LIFE” I once heard… but that guy was terrible with orchid :nail_care: lol

1 Like

The exact same but with a gross copperish brown color.

1 Like

Just going to chime in here - you’re ALL right. Seriously. Every single one of you.

Not releasing a teaser with a trailer kills hype for some. We don’t release the trailers for you on the forums - explicitly. Those are wider audiences. The little teases are for you, but the numbers show the difference for those of you counting along at home. Look at the Gargos tiny faux teasers… 20-30K views as it sits now. Watch what happens when we release the full trailer… It will be picked up by gaming sites, and shared with the masses (because there is usually action to go along with it “DOWNLOAD NOW” or something like it). We’ll hit over 100K on that. Gist of this is exactly what Adam said. We target different groups with different assets.

Now for what some of you have called strategy, and what others call chaos - you’re both right too.

We are trying new things. First off Rash. WHOA guest characters. But more importantly was a change in approach to trailers and whatnot. Rash had a Kim Tease - just a weapon, but then after that things went all wonky.

Rash had a beta, then it got really silent around Season 3. I am going to give you some behind the scenes here: that wasn’t the plan. Arbiter news was going to come out in December (GASP!). Then in January. but eventually we decided on the plan of attack that you all saw. What that meant is September to damn near February got really quiet around Season 3. We knew the KI Cup was coming, and that A LOT of folks would be watching. That same weekend was the Halo Championships which had the Arbiter reveal.

Timing of the events put us in a pickle. KIWC started early in the day. Halo was scheduled for late that night. We weren’t going to hold off on showing Kim Wu because of Halo, so we split her trailer from Arbiter’s trailer. You had no idea why, but something was different, and for good reason.

Arbiter’s trailer and lack of Tusk? Well we revealed the Arbiter’s trailer at another Halo championship, so we wanted to give them some time to hit their fans. The Tusk teaser was meant for the hardcore. Let’s be real you all don’t really care about the trailer (speaking in generalities - I know you do but the gold is at the end for you), because the only responses we’ve seen all season are “where’s the teaser.” That’s what this whole thread is about, right?

Mira - she legitimately wasn’t done, and that’s because we were pushing towards launching Season 3. You don’t know that. You don’t care. Honestly this whole wall of text will fall on deaf ears, but it is fun to give some insight for those willing to look and listen.

Anyway, Mira wasn’t ready on Tusk’s stage, but we already had it all scripted out, voices recorded, etc. The only thing we could do is wait and release the teaser when it was ready.

Gargos. This one was interesting. He DOES NOT have a teaser, regardless of what I (I say ‘I’ because I am literally the person who hits publish) have pushed out. Most people don’t mind, but you all do. Which is fine. Yes, we tried something different, and it worked. A few blurry images here and there and we revealed a ton, and reached a ton of folks. I want to do more…even more…for the hardcore, and you will see that this weekend.

Gargos releases next week. I’ll tell you what day later today, but I am going to warn you two things. First the next character WILL NOT be teased. There are reasons. Reasons you may not care about, but know that decisions are not made lightly.

Second, and this is the megaton bomb… Dare I even tell you? Well, we are working a lot on other things. One of which is E3. Sure that’s a beat that comes every year, and we knew it would be tough, but we also have this Shadow Lords thingy coming out, and our video time has been working on all sorts of stuff. So with that said, we don’t want to hold Gargos’ release date just because a video is not ready. What does that mean? That means that you will more than likely have Gargos in your hands before you see his proper trailer.

For 99% of folks - no biggie. For the other 1%, I fully await angry tweets and messages.

Anyways, there’s the peek behind the scenes. Again, you all have valid points, and we’ve argued them amongst ourselves, but know that there always is a plan, and a lot of thought and care behind every thing we do.

30 Likes

I’m sure you guys know already but you do not owe us any kind of explanation for doing the things that you do.

This however is a very interesting read and greatly appreciated by many I’m sure. I’m enthused that we have a great development team for my favorite Xbox game. Keep it up guys! :grin:

2 Likes

We already know who’s 7th character, but what about last character? I mean we have no idea who last character… I wonder what will last character have teaser, blurry pictures or nothing until they reveal it?

Again you’re speaking as the 1% of 1%. You know who it is, but most of the general pop do not.

And for your last question - NOTHING. Until we announce, that is.

2 Likes

@rukizzel I personally enjoyed the wall of text. While there are some things I dissappointing to read. The fact you took the time to let those of us who wanted to know the “behind the scenes” in. Says quite a bit thanks for thinking of us. That said I look forward to hearing about the surprises about E3 down the line. Plus I’m very excited for the release of Gargos! From the teases he looks very good!

1 Like

@rukizzel Thanks man. I really appreciate you taking the time to give us a look behind the curtain and the 4-1-1 on the teasers and what not. The more info, the better. That could’ve been twice as long and I’m sure most of us (myself included) would’ve been happy to read it and know more about the processes, the behind the scenes stuff, etc.

Sometimes things don’t go as planned or stuff comes up or things get more complicated than initially expected or deadlines run together or sometimes ya’ll just want to try something new. I can respect any and all of that.

Really looking forward to seeing what you guys have prepped for E3!

2 Likes

BWHAHAH Wanda always gets them to talk in the end :innocent: :smile::smile::smile:

Thanks for coming back to us RUKI. :heart:

I totally understand all this! My comments come down to a pretty sparse advertisement budget since day one.

In my mind KI has never truly been promoted OUTWARDLY loosing the trailers for me has been another cut to that regardless of what is coming next that’s more effective.

E3 will do that for me sunshine I’ll never ask for a trailer again looooool

In genreal I don’t care what we the hardcore think too much. I always know that WE love this game. We as a community will always play this game! But the one thing that we ALL know is that if our friends play this game they end up loving this game…

For me it’s about OTHERS that don’t know they love this game yet that haven’t tried it but might just want to see that AMAZING cool demon called Gargos? Or that person who loved the ring who just HAS to try hisako?

KI is infectious. When people touch it they love it. It’s through my eyes that trailers are the best way to get those new hands on the game.

So even though I know trailers are not aimed at the community I still value them highly

Even if 50% of the community picked up on this…, as a game we would as a community still realise it’s only 5% of what EVEN matters to a good game and to KIS game play

Keep going!!! I need to now go and speak to Phil Spencer about E3 tickets loooool

Poor poor man…

Oh and thanks for being honest :smile:

1 Like

Wow. This is amazing! I’ve got so much more respect for you because of that post, Rukari. I don’t even know what to say. This puts everything I said to rest, I can’t bring myself to complain anymore.

Companies like 343 Industries should be taking notes.

4 Likes

“Here’s a gameplay stream”

“We want a trailer. It sucks to have the stream first.”

“Here’s a trailer.”

“Where’s the teaser? The trailer is trash, we only want the teaser.”

I’m sorry guys. I know I’m just a cranky old ■■■■■■■, but these are the kind of threads that make me wonder if our community has any sense at all… It doesn’t take much effort, creativity or devotion to ask for more ■■■■. Making things takes time and energy, planning and sometimes even good luck. They can get you your trailer before the gameplay stream any time you want. But they would need to push Gargos back to June to do it. How does that sound?

“No we just want something for nothing! Make us magical unicorn ponies to ride on while we play the game. We can ride around on them dreaming up ever more trivial stuff to complain about.”

Gargos comes out next week and people are complaining about the order of the advertisements.

3 Likes
3 Likes

It’s very easy to dismiss criticism as entitlement. No one here is making demands of IG or Microsoft at all. I recommend going back and reading through the topic again.

2 Likes

Andy I love you n all but please read my above posts. :arrow_up::arrow_up:

Don’t throw stones at fans that just want to make ki a better game.

Come on now. This is what I’m talking a about In my above posts guys.

Some of us want eyedoll some of us want omen to be a real boy. Some of us want the trailers to be far reaching so NEW people can be inspired to play this game.

Don’t throw stones. Just because i might not care about omen doesn’t mean I don’t see the benifit of making him a real boy.

Just like someone else might not care about the trailers?.. but they could try to understand that maybe it stems back to KI having NO advertisement budget ever with very little outwardly push.

Keep it together and don’t hang our own community. We need everyone here because we are ALL super fans.

If we segregate our own for loving ki they won’t come back here (and trust me I know lots of ppl who stay away from the forums for that reason now) we need us ALL to be engaged.

Now go make a nice tea mr cranky and reeellaaxxx lol :heart::heart::heart: :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yesterday’ had a stream that was so amazing that it’s hard for me to out my thoughts into words. @ruk I hope you know my rant the other day had good intentions at the end and I have to admit, I stand by the My feelings, except I should have articulated them better. It will be interesting to see you guys move forward, trying all this stuff out new to see what is the best way to promote a character or the game. I was also glad to see that you guys through up some videos of gargos matches at the same time (I was literally going all school girl, texting my brother about gargos like he was god lol). It was nice to be able to show him because he isn’t part of the 600-1000 that are as diehard fans as we are now, but it still all holds a special place in both our hearts as both he and I spent countless hours/quarters at the arcades playing KI when it came out and we came to this country. (He always is in love with retro lol sigh) So I do have to say it was cool that you guys did try to change it up and give us something especially with e3 coming up and I’m sure having a ton of resources tied up working on that. I hope this makes sense and, haven’t had my morning coffee yet lol, but just wanted to show my appreciation for the stream, the hard work you all out in in, and the guts to try new things (especially when you can have people not get it right away…:upside_down_face:) alls I know is I am so hyped for gargos release its mind boggling! Can’t wait to see the future of this game and it’s progression.

I think the stream reached way more than that.

Again, I’m not complaining. As a fan, I’m well informed and get to see everything when it comes out, I know where to look for it, etc. But, for the general public, I think it’s the same thing whether it’s a stream or a trailer once it goes into YouTube. Soon the stream will be up, as well as other streams made by those selected players who get early access to him, so you’ll be seeing plenty of Gargos material populating the web before his trailer.

It’s not the format (trailer / stream) that will make it more or less accessible to the rest of the audience. Whatever goes public first is what really counts. And while the Twitch channels and the forum are more “hidden” from the general public, YouTube is not.

Thanks for sharing those backstage tidbits. I know there’s a lot of strategy behind release dates and formats (especially for guest characters) and that sht happens everywhere and in every job. Sht happens everyday in mine, so I can easily relate.

Perhaps a better strategy would be to make “lighter” trailers - like a montage of gameplay showing off the character’s moves with the theme song playing in the background, and losing all the more “cinematic” elements, such as camera angles, sound effects, dialogue, etc. Think of it as a really short edit of a stream, but without the commentators. THEN make a stream afterwards. I know even then it may be hard to accomplish at times, so it’s just an opinion. Won’t complain if you don’t comply.

Honestly, I’m so amazed at what I saw in the stream, I have no words for complaints. The ones I have I usually voice them - and to date I think I only started 2 or 3 threads on improvement suggestions - and even then they shouldn’t be seen as “complaints” but rather suggestions.

People are never 100% satisfied, they always want more. I’m one of them. I’d lie if I said I didn’t care much about more stages, Eyedol, timely trailers, teasers, etc., but I also understand your (IG’s) plight and like what you (rukizzel) give to the community in exchange - from blurry teases to the KI novella, to the music making-ofs, there’s always something, some bit of info coming out every week - and that’s greatly welcome.

In the end, I’m just happy that KI is back and still around, with more and growing popularity. I don’t know if it’s up to common joes like me to keep this game going through further seasons, but if it is, please let me know what I can do, because I sure as heck I don’t want this to be the last season.

1 Like