So, about mods for KI PC release

Yes, but even EA lost some sales because people hated origin at first and it was almost the same as steam. If you tell people there is a great fighting game named KI, but they have to register to MS store first and find out about all the restrictions. They will just go back to steam and get SFV instead… If you provide a service as good or even better than steam, they will hear about it an check your store for products.

And competition has already started, Tomb Raider Rising was the first game released on both, steam and MS store.

Thinking about it, I don’t even care about missing mods and most of the stuff posted. I just care for game preservation and MS has proven they absolutely don’t, by taking away the games people bought. All those affected, will think twice before buying anything in a MS store again.

Adam Isgreen discussed modding in an interview with @CrazyLCD a while ago. If I recall correctly, he said he wasn’t sure about releasing dev tools or anything like that, but in general the team expected that the community would mod the game on PC. As he (more or less) put it, “if you’re releasing a PC game, you just know that the community is going to crack and mod it.” That is very much a paraphrase, but is what I remember taking away from the questions of mods and dev support for them.

I can actually attest however that the Windows Store is weirdly buggy for no reason that I can figure out. On a computer that routinely runs new games at high res and 60 FPS and 3D modeling software, the Windows Store app just kills itself whenever I try to use it, out of what appears to be sheer spite. :sweat: I’ve never modded or changed anything on my Windows 10, so genuinely not sure why the app seems so hateful. It’s like they don’t actually want me to use it.

Hasn’t really been an issue for me since there typically isn’t anything that want that I have to get from the Windows Store, but really hoping that others don’t have these issues when they try to pick up KI on PC. :neutral_face:

Also: it’d be nice if my $200 XBox One exclusive fightstick worked on my Windows 10 platform. Just saying… :unamused:

1 Like

I expect KI to hit Steam eventually, especially if they notice it hurts the sales of the game in the long term.

No mods, no buy, if there are NO perks to buying a PC version of the game then why would I when I can stream it from my xbox.

The only reason a PC version would be wanted is for the mod community.

Software changes by the second anyway, so just because its posted, or on some release notes doesn’t make anything final…

I would be surprised to see KI on anything other than the MS Store/Xbox App. I have one of my work computers on the fast ring for beta updates to Windows 10, and they’ve updated the Xbox Store app to take you directly to MS store pages for games supported, both for Xbox One games and Win 10 games. It seems like a pretty simple and easy way to find/buy games.

I wouldn’t be too terribly concerned about peoples’ preferred drm platform, as that’s more a concern for PC elitists, such as myself. In terms of organization and accessibility, I do prefer to have all my games managed through one platform, but I do maintain several, and, imo, it’s not nearly as bad these days as the early days of Steam and Origin (they went up and down more than a pogo stick). If people actually stopped using game services because they were “bad”, Sony wouldn’t have a single customer after their multiple user data breaches and cover-ups last year. In general, if people hear a game is good, and it’s easily accessible to them, they’ll get it. Sure, more availability and competition between providers is a good thing, but I wouldn’t clal this a deal breaker.

As for mods, I am doubtful and disappointed, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. As long as the game runs as well as the console version, with the high resolution support they’ve already said looks great, I’ll be satisfied. If people do get mods working someday, bonus.

1 Like

If you already have it for the xbox, then you get it for free on PC, as part of the cross-buy platform. No need to pay anything again.

You technically already bought it.

Can someone tell me what’s the difference of Twitch and Steam???

Curious cause I just realized I could watch a mods twitch Channel like Maximilian had a modded Alex from USF4 once

Twitch is a streaming service for you to watch games.
Steam is a whole eco-system. They are a digital store that has other features as well (such as streaming, mod workshop, etc).

1 Like

*shrug * The same way modders have done for years? By cracking into the files even when the dev doesn’t want you to, or even when the files are “hidden”?

I’m not a modder, but I’m sure people will figure things out. PC users are pretty innovative when it comes to figuring out how to break things that aren’t supposed to be broken. Cracked SFV beta’s, getting around Apple DRM tricks…even if it’s not easy, I imagine people will find ways to do what they want.

1 Like

Here’s my concern for all games that are only available on windows 10. Only 30% of steam users are running W10 that’s both 32 bit and 64. People are suborn and don’t like change and I’m one of them having a couple extra game on a different OS is not going to make me upgrade. So now I have to use a different store that is lacking a bunch of features and forces options on me where other stores have a ton of freedom. I’m afraid this is going to be GFWL 2.0 Microsoft see’s a bunch of low sale numbers and abandons the PC platform and everybody that did buy the games won’t be able to play cause the servers have been shutdown.

All the more reason to have an xboxone in the first place

Never mix never worry

Fortunately for you, KI is cross buy so your Xbox version opens up the PC version for you for free.

I did not know the W10 store was that restrictive. Wow, I guess we will have to wait and see what they offer. I am not heavily into modding (except Skyrim) but I am sure many were looking to have the ability to create custom outfits for their characters. In fact, Adam did says they would allow it if it did not get in the way of the net code. Maybe his comment did not consider the restrictions of the W10 store.

I am a PC gamer and I use windows 8.1, Why not W10?. stability, privacy, I don’t like the phone-like settings interface. KI would be the only reason to upgrade (for now). I know I will upgrade eventually, but MS needs to stop trying to force feed us W10 and just make it a very attractive option. Restricting people from enjoying their favorite software with all of their restrictions and limitations does the opposite. I do not mind change if change is for the better.

What I find hilarious is the amount of pushback M $ has gotten over the past few years for doing the exact same thing valve has been doing.
Don’t kid yourself. Steam tracks you and reports your movements to a central database.
Windows 8.1 had a phone-like interface.

But I guess pc elitism really is a disease that blinds you to anything outside of what you’ve been using the past 5 years

This is not about Windows 10 its about Windows store. When I remember correctly Valve didn’t shut down its store, terminated the game library of all customers and expected them to buy from a new store a year later…

It has nothing to do with PC elitism. Imagine MS uploads an update that makes your Xbox One useless and the next day announces Xbox Two. would you buy it?

I think it’s gonna be on Steam right away (it probably won’t) or never. There is one thing about Steam, as far as I know Steam requires the game to sell DLC and microtransactions through the Steam store, not the game itself or some other layer of DRM (meaning, Valve gets the cut). KI doesn’t work this way.
Not sure though, GTA V sells shark cards or whatever they are called through the social club and gets away with it.
And even if they will release it on Steam, it will 100% work like Ubisoft games, as in it will just launch Win Store, meaning all those restrictions will still be in place. Things like cross-buy and cross-play probably won’t work without it.

Where theres there’s a way

Clearly there’s no will.

Relevant: