Skeletal's Ranked Challenge: Introduction & Poll Thread

What Is Skeletal’s Ranked Challenge?

Throughout the first two seasons of Killer Instinct, I played Thunder almost exclusively. Because of this, my ability to play other characters has been limited, and I’m hoping to change that with Season 3! I am planning to use a combination of the changes to Ranked Leagues, input from the Ultra-Combo.com forum community, and a healthy dose of trial and error to earn some achievements, expand my understanding of the game, and my stable of playable characters!

Skeletal’s Ranked Challenge is a pretty simple experiment:

• During the last week of each month, a poll will be posted in the following thread to allow forum members to vote for their favorite character from a list I have selected.
    http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/skeletals-ranked-challenge-introduction-poll-thread/

• For the next month, I will practice with the winning character, in order to learn their moves and playstyle.

• On the first available day each month, I will voluntarily reset my rank in Ranked Leagues and drop back down to Qualifier. My Ranked matches for that entire month will be played with the chosen character, in order to keep a list of my progress, wins/losses, and to force me to actually USE the character I’m learning.

• My progress records for the current month’s character will be listed in this thread, sometimes as “bloglike” text posts, and other times featuring clips, gifs, or screenshots when available. Ranked stats (including potential end-of-month Killer League points) will be kept in this thread whenever possible.

• I will not always be playing Killer Instinct when I have time to game, and when playing Killer Instinct I will not limit my character use when playing single player modes, or Exhibition matches with friends. I do not want to completely burn myself out!

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

FORUM PARTICIPATION RULES AND GUIDELINES

1. Please understand that I am not an extremely high-skilled player. I do not spend much time in Practice mode or studying frame data. I have a bit of a tendency to button mash, and am AWFUL at breaking. I also sometimes struggle with particular inputs. I have never been as interested in or committed to a fighting game before, but I love Killer Instinct! With this in mind, please make sure that any posts you decide to share in this thread are constructive criticism, advice, and encouragement, because I understand that I have many flaws to my gameplay, and I’m looking to improve through this Challenge.

While this will hopefully be an interesting or entertaining experience for you, I already know that this will be a difficult and potentially embarrassing journey for me because I am sharing the information with everyone here.

1. Please vote in the monthly polls, and share your character-specific feedback on each character’s thread. Your input will be important to this experiment, as your comments, suggestions and advice can help me to learn a particular character or matchup, or understand how to correct a fundamental weakness as well. By helping me to choose a character each month, you are also motivating me to not simply fall back on Thunder all the time, and to pick a wide variety of characters even if I would not normally have chosen them on my own.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

@Infilament, I plan to study your guide for the current month’s character where possible, so I wanted to thank you in advance, and give you this little bit of citation credit ahead of time.

APRIL CHARACTER POLL:

I know this is short notice, but I only had the idea this morning! I will keep this one short and simple; in accordance with the release of Season 3, which of our four brand new characters should be the inaugural Skeletal Ranked Challenge subject? I will remove or lock the poll around 7-8 AM EST tomorrow morning, April 1st, but will record the results if I need to remove the poll.

• Rash
  • Arbiter
  • Kim Wu
  • Tusk

0 voters

MAY CHARACTER POLL:

With the first month’s Challenge a successful run to Gold Tier, I’m happy to announce that I will be continuing the Ranked Challenge into May! This month’s poll will run through the end of April, and will close when I wake up on May 1st. Please vote, and help me continue my journey around the KI roster!

Good idea! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Since I’m loving Tusk, and he seems to be an easy sidestep from Thunder, I would go with him…

Maybe if your up for it, we could do some mirrormatches, havent done any of those with Tusk yet.

Tusk was, by far, my most anticipated of the four launch characters. I’m a big fan of medieval, fantasy, barbarian type stuff, and Tusk certainly fit that bill. From a couple day’s experimentation I think he will definitely take some work, since he relies more on Stagger than a traditional start to the combo structure. I’m confident I can work him out to at least a decent level, so we’ll definitely see how that goes when it’s his turn.

Feel free to add me if you like, I’m always up for playing KI when I’m not already busy with something else!

Already on my list, will challenge soon :grin:

Arent you going to miss Thunders command grab, that move is killer versus good blocking opponents.

I know thats why Thunders always destroy me :sweat_smile:

Gotta agree! I never thought about the monthly rank reset as a way to learn new characters. I might have to do the same. :grin:

Oh, if it wasn’t clear, I’m not dropping Thunder at all. I’m still going to practice with him and work on re-learning him with the new mechanics, and he’s likely still going to be my #1 go-to character.

I just want to expand my horizons and learn some more characters, because I feel like not having ANYBODY else I can swap to makes me too much of a one-trick pony. Before this experiment, you could bet every dollar to your name that I would pick Thunder in a ranked match, and you’d be right 99% of the time.

Besides, this ought to help me learn my fundamentals better, and increase my understanding of opponents while playing as Thunder, too.

My experience with Thunder has really made me love the concept of command grabs, and I think going forward with 2D fighters I will always gravitate towards the characters who have a command grab. Coincidentally, Arbiter has been an easier pickup for me so far than the other three, and I have a feeling his size, along with haing a command grab is a big part of it.

Oh, didnt think you would drop Thunder.

But I always find myself missing that one move that works so well on that character, when I’m playing another, lol.

Hisako’s counter for example, if I get to used to it, switching to another character feels wrong, like I’m missing something.

Funnily enough, I’m having the most trouble with Arbiter, still love him though, he’s really unique.

LOL…last night I finally got Hisako to lvl 50…then I switched characters I found myself trying to catch counter with Arbiter! I was lie what the helll am I doing??

This is good. Great challenge man. I hope you stick with it.

I give you until the end of the week before you give up on this (otherwise wonderful) idea, but then again, I was never a betting man (probably a good thing too, if I’m wrong)… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My vote goes to Kim Wu - our little hip, fashion guru needs some lovin’, especially since I haven’t seen ANYONE player her online yet.

Why do you think he will give up? Speaking of challenges…hows that Top 32 by the end of the month working for you? LOL

Lasted 2 days. Then I decided to go play World of Tanks instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

LOL…I dont blame you… its tough out there! I wish i had the discipline and skill to make Pro 32 just one time! But you would have to play 30 straight days at about +750 points per day. Id be sick of KI if I played it that consistently.

1 Like

Last 8 hours to get your votes in, folks! Rash is currently the frontrunner, so make your voice heard!

I’ve played the whole afternoon yesterday playing someone who was training their Kim-Wu :sunglasses:

So I guess I was hogging the one person that uses her :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Chose arbiter because he is very similar to Thunder.

He is basically thunder, but he looses Damage to gain Great Zoning.

1 Like

This is a tough vote since I like all of the Season 3 characters. I like Rash the least but even he’s pretty cool.

1 Like

Anyone on right now and want to race to killers?

My vote its for Kim. Change from a rushdown-grappler who can struggle against zoning to a rushdown whiff punisher with good anti zoning tools