[Site Feedback] Search option on the navigation bar below the logo

Hello @developers.

I know we have a magnifying glass icon to indicate the search function, but with the clutter of similar threads created with any new issue, it would seem like it isn’t quite noticeable. Now, all the fault probably doesn’t lie with the icon itself, but I would like to suggest a Search option be added to the navigation bar below the logo, one that links to the Advanced Search page maybe? In text form, it would be a little more obvious and maybe help cut down on some of the multiple threads that pop up.

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

That magnifying glass is a universal symbol for search and has been for years. If people don’t understand what that means by now then either a) they’ve been living under a rock their entire lives or b) they’re older than dirt (or both).

It’s nice that you’re propsing an idea to help improve the site (not enough people do it would seem), but IMO, the community shouldn’t cater to the lowest common denominator. If we were to do that, we’d have a giant search box displayed prominently right smack in the middle of the screen, and they would probably still miss it or not understand it or even care. In fact, I would wager that most of the time it’s this latter case that’s most often truly why we see so many duplicate threads - with every new generation, people seem to get lazier and lazier due to the conveniences that life offers them when compared to previous generations; they just want to get right to posting their emotionally-ridden and misguided ignorant thoughts or crazy out-there ideas and complaints/rants and then just leave without ever coming back to check the responses. I’ve seen it time and time again…

Nothing against you or your idea personally (keep doin’ what you’re doin’, pal) and I apologize for my own mini-rant; it’s just that using the search function is 1 of the easiest things in the world to do, and if they can’t figure that out (rather than choosing not to use it) than they must be as dumb as bricks or completely ignorant of the technological and online space, and probably shouldn’t be using either as a result of that (and should probably be put into a home or special needs care facility).

Not knowing how to use the magnifying glass would be like the kid who doesn’t know what the save icon is because they’re simply too young to understand what a disc is, having grown up in a very immediate digital world. So, so sad…

Did I wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Hmm, I might have…

1 Like

I honestly dont think it would matter… not many even want to use it because they think if they post in a thread , their voice wont be heard. But if they create a whole new topic… well that will get everyone’s attention!

There needs to be a better way to delete duplicates by Mods.

1 Like

…or they need to be more proactive in combining threads.

2 Likes

@GalacticGeek & @FallofSeraphs76 I considered what you both have said before I made this post. Still, it felt like a suggestion that might make a small difference. Thank your for your responses though, I enjoyed your mini-rant :smiley:

I’d be happy to get right on that if and when policy changes… I spend a lot of time cleaning up or moving threads, and I will tell you it isn’t just new members who are creating the duplicates.

As long as you don’t tell me that I make a lot of duplicate threads or something like that - now that would be an eye-opener right there!