PaulB's Killer Instinct Season 3 Tier List

That’s not how tier lists work.

Characters in “B” don’t automatically beat characters in “C” tier. What it means is that those characters have more favorable and/or even matchups than losing matchups.

Hope that clears it up.

3 Likes

Agree with most of it, except for a few notable changes I’d make:

I’d probably change S tier’s name to A+.

I’d raise Omen to the A+ tier, next to the other three. He has too many tools and too good of a neutral game, and some of the best pressure in the game (arguably strongest corner pressure). He’s low damage, but gets tons of meter from any ender as well as awesome setups. His shadow form is borderline OP, IMO.

I’d raise thunder to A tier, he’s better than ever, ridiculous damage, really good mobility options, great vortex game with command grab and deep crossup, and shadow call of the earth speaks for itself xD

I’d lower Gargos to B tier. His defense is too lacking to compete with the A tier characters, IMO, and his neutral can get run over easily in a lot of MU’s, I feel.

I’d definitely raise Glacius, wulf and Orchid to B tier.

I’d rename C tier into B-.

And I strongly disagree with the No tier. Strongly. I’d put Mira and RAAM into B tier, and Aganos and Kim into B-.

5 Likes

I’m curious as to why you put Shadow Jago and Spinal in A tier and Mira in C tier.

This is interesting, i didn’t fought lots of aganos but i never lost a match to one yet with RAAM. Would you mind in share a video?

It’s all about the # of winning, losing, even matchups. Tally those up, with your own opinion, I’d love to see where they land.

Sadly, I don’t have 1 to share, but I probably don’t need to since Aganos can outzone Raam easily with his payload assault chunks and reach (and ironically, his stomp) and ruin him through walls if he tries to charge in.

I see, yeah all aganos I’ve encountered tried to rely on their chunk shields, but they are useless against grabs/stomps.

It’s all about number of winning, losing, even matchups. That’s why Thunder is where he is.

I’m not playing Riptor at all. Her S3 game plan bores me.

Wulf needs 3 versions of all his linkers, like the rest of the cast. He also needs a damage buff. I’d personally scrap feral cancel altogether to get his old damage back or give him 10-15% damage buff in instinct again. Overhead should be faster. Right now it’s only 1 frame faster than Fulgore’s (which is special cancellable).

Mira’s health expenditure needs to be reduce on her valuable moves, particularly during combo. This is a tough one, but if she gets broken maybe she should have her health refunded with a subtraction relative to the amount of real (not potential) damage dealt. Not sure about that.

I keep seeing Raam is low tier and I still don’t believe it, the character just takes alot more matchup knowledge and can’t go ham, just because he requires a bit more honesty doesn’t mean he’s garbos.

Also no way Mira is bottom, she is just the hardest character in the game to master at a competitive level due to her health management/amount of tools.

Glacius is in no way c tier, that character is at least A, also there are way too many tiers there should only be S, A and B for this game as its quite balanced for the most part due to the system mechanics. Aganos also deserves a bump that character is def stronger than No.

Which characters do you think RAAM outright beats?

I agree, if none of these tiers means “not viable.” Eyedol belongs in S tier, though, IMO.

Also, what’s the “no” tier about? I’ve fought against some god-tier Miras and Aganoses. However, really good play with characters in that tier is hard to find.

EDIT: I just read your explanation of the tier system in one of your comments. I understand “no,” now. Those folks definitely have no easy matchups. Maybe RAAM has an easy time with Tusk. I tend to beat Tusks pretty easily, but I’m not top 32 or anything.

Riptor, Sadira, Aganos, Kim Wu, Spinal, Tusk, TJ and possibly Wulf I may be missing a few as well since he is relatively new and unmastered. He goes even with a lot of characters and loses to Kan Ra, Glacius, Aria, Fulgore, Omen and Probably Maya.
I could be wrong though but these are simply my observations.

I will say Raam is not braindead which means only skilled players can do quite well with him.

I think your reasons are why they are in “no” tier. He explains in a comment above somewhere that his ranking system is based on good vs. bad matchups. Those in the “no” tier probably do have the fewest good matchups. Certainly none of their matchups are anywhere close to free. A little surprised ARIA is so high, based on that system, though.

lol my two mains are in the “No” section. I live for the struggle.

On a side note, I think Glacius is at least a “B”. Season 3 gave him a lot of great tools.

I’d argue that the No tier can definitely win tournaments though.

1 Like

I’m of a mind similar to yours. Any matchup can be won (maybe except for RAAM v Gargos feelssaltyman), but some characters inherently have an easier time against other characters. So, for those of us who insist on specializing in General Bae, we have more non-intuitive matchups to figure out if we’re to make it to the top.

Sabrewulf, Sadira and Orchid on the bottom 'eh?
Oh ho the mighty have fallen.

Raam Gargos is 5-5 on paper but requires way more mentally from the Raam player than the gargos player. The thing about gargos is he does better the earlier he starts controlling the match, his design is extremely anti comeback for the opponent and is meant to smother foes (and to make him feel like a cheap boss) if you don’t play well in the beginning than you will probably lose since that’s when gargos is garbos.

I’ve heard the “5-5” thing a bunch of times, but I don’t understand it. How do you figure? If Gargos starts the match quad jumping, RAAM’s never going to bring him down for a toss. RAAM has absolutely 0 tools to deal with the way Gargos plays in the air.

I respect your opinion, but definitely disagree. I don’t think RAAM beats any of those chars. MAYBE Aganos and definitely not Sadira.

1 Like