Mods for PC version?

Nice! Any ETA, or is it still at a point where it can’t be predicted?

nox is a fanmade character

Yo did you get into the pak files? YOOO

no… just google “nox killer instinct”

i see… well soon

I did the same…all I got was what you got. I guess I was assuming there was more to the story than that pic.

The ETA is " Stay Tuned™ ". Hopefully soon.

Figured I would post this in this thread as well, just because it was requested originally here.

Ive gotten a lot of the files extracted. Its not too difficult. I need to clean it up a lot before its usable though. So everyone hang in there.

For now, because a few people have requested it, and I said I would upload it and I forgot… sorry about that. Here is a script setup that will convert all of KIs sounds from the encrypted .wem to the open .ogg, which any sound program can play or easily convert to mp3 or wav or whatever you would like them to be.

A lot of the .wems for the game are actually in the open in the source files of the program (sounds that play over ending videos and such).

Just extract that, and drop all of your .wems into the same folder. then run the “convert.bat” file. That will automatically convert all .wems in the folder to .ogg so that they are usable. I included the cookbooks that work for KI in there.

Have fun and stay tuned.

1 Like

Nice to hear that extractions have taken place, Also, Thanks for explaining the process behind the KI sfx

Hey, so I’m quite interested about getting the game’s audio files and converting it using the script you made.

I have question: In locating the game’s folder, did you happen to use a tutorial? If so, can you send a link for it? There are like hundreds of these floating around the web, but it may not cause it to work and even mess up the system. Just to be sure…

Hey,

No I didnt use any tutorials. A lot of the sounds files are located in this folder C:\Program
Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.KillerInstinct-Win10_3.0.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\GAMEASSETS\AUDIO\WWISE\GENERATEDSOUNDBANKS.

You have to change the windows permissions to get it to let you in there, but thats not hard. Worse case scenario is that you just have to reinstall KI on your PC.

Oh ok.

So just accessing the game folder can cause KI not to work the next time you use it, forcing yourself to reinstall? Does this happen to other Windows applications too like MS Edge and stuff?

Any luck finding the sounds/in-game vocals that they recorded for each character? I’m not interested in modding myself or messing with the files, but I would love to listen to the unique alien vocalizations that they whipped up for Glacius if possible!

i think specifically the issue someone else had was that you can’t re-paste any files back into the folder. So if you starting cutting files out to mess around with them, then try to simply paste the default files back in, it won’t let you. Then it’d be time to do a full reinstall. This UWP stuff is new territory for modders so you never know what will happen until after it breaks.

True, yet if i’m right, there is suppose to be an update to the UWP sometime next month that will provide tools that would make modding possible to KI. It might be possible now but with the right knowledge to extract files. Also we won’t see them in-game until we find a way to launch the game without going to windows app store.

I see. What happens then if I were to copy the files instead of cutting the files? Would it affect the same manner or not?

Its really not hard to replace the sounds in the game that are outside of .paks so far. They are encrypted with Wwise before they are added. If you have the cookbooks (which is in the file I uploaded) you can reencrypt them and put them back in theoretically.

Just changing the permissions on the games folders so that you can copy out the files you want to mess around with doesnt break the game at all. I took ownership of folder (and all subfolders), copied out what I wanted, and can still play it just fine.

I will replace some sound files tomorrow (after reencrypting them) and see how it goes. Then well at least know if we need to look elsewhere to change some checks. I’ll let everyone know how that goes.

3 Likes

Sound aside, are you still making character mods?

Without a doubt. I will fix these models and make the game look good as soon as I can :wink:

1 Like

I am finally getting a little free time today, so I am working through finishing out a script to extract the models. I’ve got a few of the texture maps out of the .paks (they are just tiff files) and I am working through the rest. There doesnt seem to be anything proprietary about the file formats. Its just standard. Even the material types are just standard.

Doesnt look like this is too complicated.

I’ll try to extract a character and a stage first.

I’ll report back as soon as I have something to show.

2 Likes